x
Alumni

Live Q&A: Ask us anything about Square Card!

Hi Sellers,

On Wednesday, August 14 at 1 PM PST, we hosted a Live Q&A all about Square Card! We had three of our leaders from the product team here to answer your questions about Square Card.

Meet the people who brought you Square Card and who were here live on the 14th to reply to your comments: 

Christina, Square Card - Product Manager 

@Christina leads the product team for Square Card. Previous to Square Card, she built Instant Deposit. She’s passionate about making financial services fair for small business owners. When she’s not obsessing over how Square can help improve small business cash flow, she’s running after her toddler or volunteering for an organization that works to improve public health in Africa. 

Mac, Square Card - Designer 

Mac leads design for Square Card. He produced around 15 versions of that white card before finalizing the design that puts your business first. Prior to Square, he designed software for banks that brought a personal touch back to customers’ banking relationships. He’s always cared about simplifying experiences and bringing customers back to the forefront of the financial space. 

Margueritte, Square Card - Product Marketing Manager  

@MargueritteH leads product marketing for Square Card. Prior to Square, she helped small businesses offer financing to homeowners to install residential solar systems and worked with banks in emerging markets to make small business loans. She is excited to be at Square supporting products that help small businesses manage cash flow. 

A few example questions:

• How do I get money on my card? 
  • Do I need to do anything to transfer money to my card once I make a sale? 
  • Do I need to link a bank account? 
  • What happens to my deposits once I activate my Square Card? 
  • Can I make partial balance deposits once I activate my Square Card? 
  • What are the limits on Square Card deposits, ATM withdrawals, and spending?
  • Disputes
  • Balance correlation
  • Pending authorizations & voids
  • Holds
  • Declines

*We won’t be able to address account specific questions in this Q&A. Those are best directed to our CS team via email or the phone to keep your account secure!

Thanks for all of your questions! 

PD00778 - M square card hero_Medium.jpg

Message 1 of 84
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Wow, what great questions and feedback on Square Card -- THANK YOU. Square Card is a new product, just launched this year, and you, our sellers, are the best source of feedback on what you love, and where we have room to improve and grow. We've heard you. Please keep the feedback coming so that we can continue to meet more of your cash flow needs. 

To close out, I wanted to share a few thoughts and gather your feedback to help inform our thinking. 

What you love 

We heard that you love that your card sales are immediately in your Square balance for you to control: spend on the Square Card, or transfer to your linked bank account whenever you wish. We heard that you love the look of the Square Card: professional, simple, and highlighting you and your business. We heard that you love having a free business debit card to manage your business expenses. 

How we can make managing cash flow easier 

We heard you in asking for Apple Pay and Google Pay, better accounting support, statements, a running balance next to each Square Card transaction, and Capital loan disbursements to the Square balance to spend on the Square Card. The good news is that we are actively working on each of those things ^^. Update: You can now add your Square Card to your digital wallet to use it with Apple Pay and Google Pay! 

We also heard you asking for us to grow into a broader business banking solution with account and routing numbers, multiple cards per account, and international usage. Great feedback to inform how we might better grow to serve you in the future. 

What else can we do to make managing your cash flow easier? What do you wish we could take off of your shoulders? How do you feel now about your business finances today, and how do you hope to feel about it in the future? Are there specific tools or functionality that you wished we offered? 

This community represents a wealth of knowledge and experience greater than anything we could fathom within our four walls, and we're truly excited to read and learn what you have to say. Thank you again for your honest and candid dialogue in yesterday's Q&A, and moving forward. 

View Best Answer >

Message 84 of 84
83 REPLIES 83

Can you get cash app receipts deposited to square card or square card acct?

Message 64 of 84
Square

Hi @Kbfranc -- at this time you can’t transfer funds between the Cash app and the Square Card.

Message 65 of 84

Are statements available? Like they would be at a bank...if so I could eliminate the need for a separate business account 

Message 66 of 84
Square

Hi @Revolution1 --  We are actively working on statements now!  

In the meantime, you can download a spreadsheet of your Square Card transactions from the Square Dashboard > Deposits > Square Card > Card spend. See the “Export” button in the top right corner. 

image4.png

image1.png

Message 67 of 84

How do I order additional cards for my business partner?

Message 68 of 84
Beta Member

Great question folks!

Message 69 of 84
Super Seller Alumni

The short answer is that you can only have one Square card per location of your business.  Here's a link to a thread where this is explained.  See the Best Answer in that thread.

Judy T Shumway
Message 70 of 84
Admin

@Doggyworld

At this time, there is on the availability to support one Square Card per account.

Our Product Team does take feedback like this to create a better expereince for the future, so we'll be sure to share this request with them.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 71 of 84
Square

@Doggyworld - @GlassJudy shared a great response with your answer. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Message 72 of 84

Can you order a new card because you want to change the design?

Message 73 of 84
Square

[This post was updated by moderator in 2020 to reflect a name change - deposits are now called transfers.]

Hi @angeltagg -- you can cancel your card and order a new one on your Square app. 

To cancel your Square Card, go into your Square app: Balance > Square Card > Get help with card > I’d like to cancel my card. 

Then to order a new Square Card, go back into the Square Card section, and go through the Square Card order process to personalize your card and have a new one shipped to you.

Message 74 of 84

If you don't want to use your square card for a bit, how do you get your balances to automatically transfer to your bank account at the end of each day again (not using instant deposit)?

Message 75 of 84

You don't. I tried and was told by management that it is all or nothing.  I was forced to choose nothing this morning and I cut up my card and canceled it. 

I truly loved the card and the convenience of using it, but I can't allow square to dictate my entire finances. They would not even allow me to deposit a portion to my bank account. ALL-OR-NOTHING!

Sad day - the card was cool!

Message 76 of 84
Square

[This post was updated by moderator in 2020 to reflect a name change - deposits are now called transfers.]

Hi @HeatherA and @Feedback2016 -- When you have an active Square Card, you need to manually initiate transfers to your linked bank account (funds will transfer next business day or instantly, for a fee). As @Feedback2016 says, today it’s not possible to still have automatic transfers with Square Card, since for most people the Square Card wouldn’t be terribly useful if the balance dropped to $0 at the end of each day at the time of an automatic transfer. 

If you prefer automated daily transfers (deposits) to your linked bank account, you will need to cancel your Square Card.

Message 77 of 84
Beta Member

How can I keep a minimum balance in square that is made accessible to the card?

Message 78 of 84
Square

Hi @Hondo - As soon as you activate your Square Card, your automated daily transfers (deposits) to your linked bank account will be turned off. The funds from all of the card payments processed through Square will accrue in your Square balance to spend on Square Card in real time. You still have the ability to initiate a deposit to your linked bank account (next business day or instantly) at any time.

Message 79 of 84

Since the Square Card can not be used at international ATMs. Can you connect the Square Card  (or account) with a Transferwise account or with PayPal?  I am basically looking to be able to access money from International ATMs without using my US Bank ATM since they charge such huge fees and exchange rate isn't that great.  I use my PayPal Debit card all the time internationally.  I just ordered my Transferwise Debit Card and will see how that works.

Message 80 of 84
Square

Hi @Archetypemkt - Thanks for explaining the need so clearly here! Today, the ability to transfer funds from your Square Card to Transferwise or PayPal is not available. We have been hearing a lot of demand for the ability to transfer to other providers, so will explore this in the future.

Message 81 of 84

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Square Card

Why is my Square Card always declined at gas/fuel pumps, even when there are funds available?  Sometimes I want to use the card to pay for fuel when I'm traveling to specific POS events.

Message 82 of 84
Square

This is a common frustration, and understandably confusing, @piLover08! Let me try to explain what’s likely going on.. 

Some businesses, like gas stations and hotels, place a temporary charge on your payment card. Since pumping gas is an open-end purchase, gas stations typically pre-authorize your payment card for a larger amount to ensure that your card has enough funds to cover the amount of gas you’ll leave with. This pre-authorization is typically $100. This pre-authorization happens the moment you insert your card and will still be reflected on your statement temporarily even if you ultimately decided to not get gas or the card gets declined. These pending authorizations can take up to 9 days to clear.

So, if you don’t have at least $100 in your Square balance when you use your Square Card at a gas station pump, it will likely decline. 

In the future, you can pay inside at the register for a specific amount instead of at the pump. This should prevent a temporary pre-authorization from being placed on your Square Card.

Message 83 of 84
Square

Best Answer

Wow, what great questions and feedback on Square Card -- THANK YOU. Square Card is a new product, just launched this year, and you, our sellers, are the best source of feedback on what you love, and where we have room to improve and grow. We've heard you. Please keep the feedback coming so that we can continue to meet more of your cash flow needs. 

To close out, I wanted to share a few thoughts and gather your feedback to help inform our thinking. 

What you love 

We heard that you love that your card sales are immediately in your Square balance for you to control: spend on the Square Card, or transfer to your linked bank account whenever you wish. We heard that you love the look of the Square Card: professional, simple, and highlighting you and your business. We heard that you love having a free business debit card to manage your business expenses. 

How we can make managing cash flow easier 

We heard you in asking for Apple Pay and Google Pay, better accounting support, statements, a running balance next to each Square Card transaction, and Capital loan disbursements to the Square balance to spend on the Square Card. The good news is that we are actively working on each of those things ^^. Update: You can now add your Square Card to your digital wallet to use it with Apple Pay and Google Pay! 

We also heard you asking for us to grow into a broader business banking solution with account and routing numbers, multiple cards per account, and international usage. Great feedback to inform how we might better grow to serve you in the future. 

What else can we do to make managing your cash flow easier? What do you wish we could take off of your shoulders? How do you feel now about your business finances today, and how do you hope to feel about it in the future? Are there specific tools or functionality that you wished we offered? 

This community represents a wealth of knowledge and experience greater than anything we could fathom within our four walls, and we're truly excited to read and learn what you have to say. Thank you again for your honest and candid dialogue in yesterday's Q&A, and moving forward. 

Message 84 of 84