x
Alumni

Live Q&A: Ask us anything about Square Card!

Hi Sellers,

On Wednesday, August 14 at 1 PM PST, we hosted a Live Q&A all about Square Card! We had three of our leaders from the product team here to answer your questions about Square Card.

Meet the people who brought you Square Card and who were here live on the 14th to reply to your comments: 

Christina, Square Card - Product Manager 

@Christina leads the product team for Square Card. Previous to Square Card, she built Instant Deposit. She’s passionate about making financial services fair for small business owners. When she’s not obsessing over how Square can help improve small business cash flow, she’s running after her toddler or volunteering for an organization that works to improve public health in Africa. 

Mac, Square Card - Designer 

Mac leads design for Square Card. He produced around 15 versions of that white card before finalizing the design that puts your business first. Prior to Square, he designed software for banks that brought a personal touch back to customers’ banking relationships. He’s always cared about simplifying experiences and bringing customers back to the forefront of the financial space. 

Margueritte, Square Card - Product Marketing Manager  

@MargueritteH leads product marketing for Square Card. Prior to Square, she helped small businesses offer financing to homeowners to install residential solar systems and worked with banks in emerging markets to make small business loans. She is excited to be at Square supporting products that help small businesses manage cash flow. 

A few example questions:

• How do I get money on my card? 
  • Do I need to do anything to transfer money to my card once I make a sale? 
  • Do I need to link a bank account? 
  • What happens to my deposits once I activate my Square Card? 
  • Can I make partial balance deposits once I activate my Square Card? 
  • What are the limits on Square Card deposits, ATM withdrawals, and spending?
  • Disputes
  • Balance correlation
  • Pending authorizations & voids
  • Holds
  • Declines

*We won’t be able to address account specific questions in this Q&A. Those are best directed to our CS team via email or the phone to keep your account secure!

Thanks for all of your questions! 

PD00778 - M square card hero_Medium.jpg

Message 1 of 84
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Wow, what great questions and feedback on Square Card -- THANK YOU. Square Card is a new product, just launched this year, and you, our sellers, are the best source of feedback on what you love, and where we have room to improve and grow. We've heard you. Please keep the feedback coming so that we can continue to meet more of your cash flow needs. 

To close out, I wanted to share a few thoughts and gather your feedback to help inform our thinking. 

What you love 

We heard that you love that your card sales are immediately in your Square balance for you to control: spend on the Square Card, or transfer to your linked bank account whenever you wish. We heard that you love the look of the Square Card: professional, simple, and highlighting you and your business. We heard that you love having a free business debit card to manage your business expenses. 

How we can make managing cash flow easier 

We heard you in asking for Apple Pay and Google Pay, better accounting support, statements, a running balance next to each Square Card transaction, and Capital loan disbursements to the Square balance to spend on the Square Card. The good news is that we are actively working on each of those things ^^. Update: You can now add your Square Card to your digital wallet to use it with Apple Pay and Google Pay! 

We also heard you asking for us to grow into a broader business banking solution with account and routing numbers, multiple cards per account, and international usage. Great feedback to inform how we might better grow to serve you in the future. 

What else can we do to make managing your cash flow easier? What do you wish we could take off of your shoulders? How do you feel now about your business finances today, and how do you hope to feel about it in the future? Are there specific tools or functionality that you wished we offered? 

This community represents a wealth of knowledge and experience greater than anything we could fathom within our four walls, and we're truly excited to read and learn what you have to say. Thank you again for your honest and candid dialogue in yesterday's Q&A, and moving forward. 

View Best Answer >

Message 84 of 84
83 REPLIES 83

It's the same ol' BS they want us to buy and app to make the basics work. So tired of accounting 101 being blocked for extra profit for square.

Message 43 of 84
Square

Hey @MyAromaLife - Thanks for this feedback. We’re aware of this issue with uncategorized expenses from Square Card and we definitely understand it can make using the Quickbooks integration difficult.

The good news is we’re actively working with Quickbooks fix this. The whole point of Square Card is to make your life easier when it comes to managing your finances, and continuing to improve the Quickbooks integration will be one of our top priorities going forward.

Message 44 of 84

1) Square card needs a more "Bank statement" type of format where we can see expenses and deposits in one spot.

2) Square card cannot be added to Apple Pay which is a huge inconvenience

3) Should allow multiple account holders to have their own card (ex. wife & husband)

4) There should be a solid integration with quickbooks

Message 45 of 84

i agree, if u saw the original FAQ’s on the Square Debit, most answers were “unfortunately at this time...”, however in Squares defense, they are not a financial institution, hence why the card is governed through Sutton Bank.  Yes it does lack general debit card features and Im hoping for resolutions on those.

Message 46 of 84

1) Square card needs a more "Bank statement" type of format where we can see expenses and deposits in one spot.

This is my question also! Can you add a balance column in the Square Card>Card Spend page? My biggest gripe so far - otherwise love Square : )

Message 47 of 84

Love the card design -- love the convenience of having access to funds. Hate the fact that Accounting 101 is lost if you use the square card. No checks and balances is a deal breaker. I am not going to blindly allow square to manage my money. I want to see deposits, costs, expenditures... you know, Accounting 101?

Message 48 of 84
Square

Great feedback, thank you, all! Quick summary is that we have good news coming soon on (1), (2), and (4)! No immediate plans for (3), but grateful for the request, as your feedback is how we make decisions about what to prioritize! 

In more detail... 

1) Bank statement view: Understand, and agree. We’re working on that, as well as a balance column in the report as @sgarson asked about now -- stay tuned! 

2) Apple Pay | Google Pay: On it! Make sure your Square app updates are turned on, and keep your eyes on your email for an announcement coming soon… 😉 Update For the steps to add your Square Card to Apple Pay or Google Pay check out this Support Center article!

3) Multiple cards: Unfortunately, today we can only issue one card per location to the Square account owner, but it’s good to know that this is a desired feature as we explore in the future. 

4) Solid integration with Quickbooks: Agreed. This is a shortcoming today, and we’re actively working with Quickbooks to improve it.

Message 49 of 84

Will I be able to load my balance from my e-commerce store onto the card or is it just for point of sale deposits?

Message 50 of 84
Square

Hi @Aisle4 - Today, only funds from Square payment processing (however you take payments with Square: POS, Virtual Terminal, Online Store website, etc.) are added to your balance and available to spend on your Square Card.

We are working on ways to get other funds into your Square balance, and will let you know when that is available!

Message 51 of 84

Can i load cash on this card at a money center,?

Message 52 of 84

Not at this time.  I do conventions, and though i use Square, alot of folks pay cash. But theres no cash deposits to this card as an option, even for a nominal fee.  Hopefully this gets remedied soon, its easier as a small business to have money in one place sometimes.

Message 53 of 84
Square

Hey @Tatt - @Jmp is right. Unfortunately, today it is not possible to load physical cash into your Square balance to spend on your Square Card.

Message 54 of 84
Beta Member

Very attractive and unique product! Is there a timeline on when the card will be ready to use with Samsung Pay?

Message 55 of 84
Square

We are actively working on launching Apple Pay and Google Pay, but do not currently have plans to launch Samsung Pay, @SysCorp_Finance. However, once we launch Google Pay, you can use Google Pay on your Samsung device!

Update Here are the steps to add your Square Card to Apple Pay and Google Pay!

Message 56 of 84

I got married since I opened my account with square and changed my name. Will I be able to order a card with my legal name on it? 

Message 57 of 84
Square

Hi @Alyshahooker@Alyshahooker-- Today the Square Card can only be printed with the name originally given when you signed up for Square. We don’t have a good way to update the account owner name in our systems today to go through the identity verification process required by our bank partner. We understand that this is a frustrating limitation, and hope to have a better solution for you and others in 2020.

Message 58 of 84

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can I use my square card at a foreign ATM, for example in Mexico?

Can I withdraw cash at an ATM in a foreign country, in local currency?

Message 59 of 84
Square

@akbaja - Unfortunately, today Square Card does not support international transactions - either spend or ATM.

Message 60 of 84

Super excited about my card! Will there be a feature for when I use my card in a transaction with another square app user no fee are incurred on either end of the transaction?

Message 61 of 84

its currently 2.75% instant discount when using Square Debit Mastercard with another Square vendor.  I haven’t tried it yet, and don’t know all of the details. 

Message 62 of 84
Square

@EANAHS003 -- thanks for your enthusiasm! We’re pleased to give you and other Square Card sellers a 2.75% instant discount when you use your Square Card at another Square seller -- a little nudge to support your fellow small business owners. 

This will appear on your card spend report as “Square Community Discount”, and is applied immediately after you make a purchase at another Square seller.

Message 63 of 84