x
Admin

Live Q&A: Learn how to get paid again and again (and again) with predictable revenue streams

Square’s subscription management software allows any business to easily create recurring revenue streams. If your business utilizes subscriptions, memberships, donations, or other forms of recurring payments, our product team wants to hear from you. Not using this service but interested in learning more? This is also the discussion for you. 

On Wednesday, September 28, we welcomed back @jean_sq from the Subscriptions team for another Question & Answer session! Her team is always eager to learn about how they can better address your business's recurring payment needs as well as answer any questions you may have.

Have a look below to see what topics business owners brought up, and be on the lookout for a "Best Answers" summary post (coming soon) that covers the main takeaways from this discussion.

Note: Although we can't share specific details on our product roadmaps, this information will be helpful as we continue to make improvements.

splash.jpeg

Photo Credit: Ambitious Creative Co. - Rick Barrett on Unsplash.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 161
1 Best Answer
Community Team

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

The Subscriptions team really appreciated all the great engagement! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your questions and feedback! We hope that your questions were answered—the experiences you've shared will help us as we continue to iterate based on your feedback.

As we close out this event, we wanted to do a recap on three themes that bubbled up:

Subscription plan management: Ability to change the price of a plan, swap a customer from one plan to another, and enforce cancellation policies (eg. not allow a subscriber to cancel early from a 6-month plan).

Reporting and Subscription management: Sort your subscriptions on Dashboard (by plan, billing status, subscription status, subscription date, alphabetical, etc.), generate more detailed reports (revenue, plan membership, etc.), and keep your Dashboard view clean by hiding canceled/unused subscriptions and plans.

Notifications and customer management: Customer notifications before each recurring charge, reminders of an expiring subscription and more sophisticated customer portal features

The team hopes to tackle many of these in 2023!

There was also lots of excitement around an integration with Square Appointments! In the upcoming year, we will be sharing more details on that in the Seller Community. In the near future, you can also expect to see big improvements on collecting shipping and other fulfillment information and being able to make any item in your Square catalog subscribable!

GET STARTED WITH SUBSCRIPTIONS TODAY

No monthly fees and only 2.9% + 30¢ per transaction on each subscription, regardless of whether the card is present or not present.

As we work on what things to prioritize, we love to hear from sellers on what controls and features are most important. Please keep sharing here in the Seller Community. We are listening!

Again, thanks for your participation.

View Best Answer >

Message 148 of 161
160 REPLIES 160
Super Seller

Very interested in this.  I've been thinking of working on a subscription box.

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 2 of 161
Community Team

@JUYBoutique20 Great to hear! I checked out your website and it looks like you sell lots of unique items!

Message 3 of 161
Super Seller

Thanks so much...

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 4 of 161
Beta Member

I own a home furnishings/decor store and old time general store.  I've been thinking of trying this with gift baskets, gourmet coffee and teas, candles... the opportunities are endless in terms of products.  I'm thinking these would be great gifts- who wouldn't want a gourmet coffee of the month?  I'd love to hear how to handle the logistics, payments etc. 

Message 5 of 161
Community Team

@HHcsJoeI’d recommend reading our getting started article - it tells you how to set up subscription plans, create and manage subscriptions. In 2023 we are looking to roll out a tighter integration into the orders ecosystem and item catalog as well as better fulfillment handing (for example, capturing shipping addresses)

Message 6 of 161

Hi there- I am wondering if there is currently a way to capture addresses with subscriptions? I see you list that as something you are working on but we are a gallery setting up subscription plans and need the addresses of the subscribers to send their perks (t-shirt, etc). Also, is there a way to add an image for each subscription level? Thank you!

Message 7 of 161

Hello, can you explain what would be some good examples of membership programs for a smoothie bar ?

Message 8 of 161
Community Team

@smoothalchemis1 I did recently see an article for a smoothie membership. This model may or may not be right for your business. I’d recommend this article (Square is not associated with this article) to learn some best practices for starting a new subscription business.

Message 9 of 161

Hello I am  salon owner who have nothing but renters how do i do a atomatic draft for my renters so that the bussiness can run on its own and i dont have to send out invoices for rent need help with this 

Message 10 of 161

Contracts sign I'm assuming next invoice creation on the monthly agreement amount than set it as a monthly reoccurring invoice 

Message 11 of 161
Beta Member

I just set up a weekly invoice that hours out to my salon renter and when she pays it alerts me

Message 12 of 161

SET UP A RECURRING PAYMENT, IT GIVES YOU THE OPTION WHEN YOU USE THE VIRTUAL TERMINAL

Message 13 of 161
Community Team

@712salon Looks like you have some suggestions from fellow Seller Community folks!

Message 14 of 161

I would also be interested. What subscriptions would be good with a tv antenna installation company that also does device set-up and instruction for streaming products.

Message 15 of 161
Community Team

@Antenna625 I don’t have any ideas off the top of my head but for some best practices on what to offer as a subscription, I’d recommend this article (Square is not associated with this article). This is one quote from it that I think is relevant:

“decision makers must ensure that a new subscription business is a sustainable model based on a value proposition and business case tied to an unmet consumer need, and that it supports the retailer’s overall strategy.”

When you are ready to start building subscription plans through Square, I’d start with our getting started article - that walks you through getting started creating subscription plans either through Square Dashboard or Square Point of Sale.

Message 16 of 161

Are subscriptions included with Square? What's the cost?

Message 17 of 161
Community Team

@InquiringQuilte There is no charge to use the subscription service. You only pay processing fees on the subscriptions

Message 18 of 161

Hi.  Could the subscription service work with a digital product?  I am developing a 12-week digital journal that rolls out journaling pages 4-5 days a week for 12 weeks and then you can renew to continue. 

Also, could the subscription service be set up to automate sending the pages in the digital journal? 

Message 19 of 161

I run a small aesthetics practice, and I have my clients on contract with recurring billing each month. I have some clients that are to have their card on file debit it on the first of the month, and some who are to have their cards on file debited on the 15th. I do not see in subscriptions where I can set up different payment amounts recurring at different times of the month. Can this be accomplished with the subscription to feature? If not, will it be coming? 

Message 20 of 161
Community Team

@LHW170 Early next year we will be releasing custom billing dates feature which will allow you to set the billing date for a subscription (the current default is billing date is tied to subscription start date). We also will be tackling proration in 2023.

Message 21 of 161