x
Admin

Live Q&A: Learn how to make any item in your Square catalog subscribable!

Hello Seller Community,

Exciting news! We've just launched Square Subscription availability through your Square Online catalog. To showcase this powerful feature, we brought back @jean_sq, the Subscriptions product marketing manager, for a quick demonstration on how to create these subscription plans. We'd love to hear your reactions, so take a look at the videos below and drop your feedback in the comments section. Please note that this feature is currently only offered through Square Online and Square Dashboard.

How to sell subscriptions through Square Online

How to create a plan with Square Dashboard

With this new feature, you can sell physical items, donations, and services on a weekly, biweekly, or monthly subscription basis. In addition, you can create "Subscribe & Save" programs, which allow you to give your most loyal customers discounts on their subscription orders.

How to participate:

Check out the video demonstration above and post your questions to this thread. Then, check back with us on Thursday, July 13, at 12 p.m. PDT/3 p.m. EDT as the Subscriptions team responds. 

A few example questions:

• I'm just getting started with subscriptions for my business — what should I keep in mind as I get set up?
  • If I could do "_______" with subscriptions and inventory, that would make my customers' experience much better.

Please note: We are unable to share specific details on our product roadmaps, though this information will be helpful as we continue to make improvements.

️ Kristen
Product Engagement, Square
Message 1 of 53
1 Best Answer
Community Team

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

The Subscriptions team really appreciated all the great engagement! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your questions and feedback! We hope that your questions were answered—the experiences you've shared will help us as we continue to iterate based on your feedback.

As we close out this event, we wanted to do a recap on some themes that bubbled up:

• Custom Billing options: Ability to set a particular billing date for a subscription so that they all bill on the same day. (eg. have all subscriptions bill on the 1st of the month)
  • Additional fulfillment options for Subscriptions: Allowing a customer to pick-up their subscription item or have it delivered.
  • Tracking Subscription Benefits: Having the capability to keep track of how many times a subscriber has used a particular subscription benefit (eg. track how many times a subscriber has had a massage as part of their monthly “3 massages per month” subscription plan).
  • Reporting and Subscription management: Sort your subscriptions on Dashboard (by plan, billing status, subscription status, subscription date, alphabetical, etc.) and generate more detailed reports (revenue, plan membership, etc.). (Update! We have just released CSV Export for Subscriptions which will allow you to download all of your subscription data as a CSV file)

The team hopes to tackle many of these this year!

The team is also working with Square Appointments on an integration to launch a more robust membership option. This integration will include allowing a seller to keep track of how much of a subscription benefit a customer has used in a particular time period.

In the upcoming year, we will be sharing more details on that in the Seller Community.

As we work on what things to prioritize, we love to hear from sellers on what controls and features are most important. Please keep sharing here in the Seller Community. We are listening!

Again, thanks for your participation.

View Best Answer >

Message 48 of 53
52 REPLIES 52
Community Team

Hello @christiema,

I’m sorry but Square Subscriptions is not integrated with Square Loyalty at this time.

Message 22 of 53
Super Seller

Hi @kristen thank you for developing this new feature. I have a couple of questions.

1. At the item level will we be able to add a subscription variarions from a drop down box so the customer can selected thier preferred variation? Eg we sell hot choc subscriptions where customers can sign up and select thier preferred chocolate flake type, we have three types, milk, white or dark. 

2. Would there be a mechanism within the system for the customer to change thier choice of flake before the next dispatch date without cancelling the subscription and resubscribing ie they fancy a change from white flakes to milk flakes that month? 

3. Would there be functionality for a customer to buy a subscription as a gift ie add a gift message?

Many thanks and really looking forward to this feature going live.

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 23 of 53
Community Team

Hi @phillipsrw,

Great questions. I’ll answer them below in order:

1. Yes, you can set up item variations on your Square Online item so that your customer can pick from your chosen options for their subscription: Create and Manage Item Options with Square.

2. At this time, we do not offer customers the ability to change their subscription item choices after the initial subscription.

3. Yes, you can set up your Square Online items to be available as a gift (and there is an option to add a personal message). Once you have done that, those gift options will carry through to the subscription.
Message 24 of 53

Hello! Will we be able to use ACH for recurring subscriptions? 

Message 25 of 53
Community Team

Hello @HyattTraining,

Thanks for bringing this up. I’m sorry but there are no near-term plans to support ACH as a payment method for Square Subscriptions.

Message 26 of 53

I own a winery and currently have 350 wine club members. We offer 9-different club options (3, 6 12 bottles, sweet, dry or mix) and it is a quarterly billing. Is there any way to manage this with square?

Message 27 of 53
Community Team

Hello @Whitesquirrel1,

I believe that Subscriptions can currently handle your request. One way to do this is to set up the wine club as an item in Square Online items. Use item variations for the sweet, dry and mix options and modifiers for the different quantities (and corresponding prices): Create and Manage Item Options with Square.

Here is a screenshot of an example that I set up:

screenshot_02.png

Message 28 of 53
Beta Member

How would a subscription work for a provider that receives a commission on the service? Would they get the commission when the subscription is paid or can it be broken down to when the service is actually received? I really need my providers to receive their commission at the time the service is provided, not when the subscription money is collected. I also use square payroll.

Monica Quintanilla
Message 29 of 53
Community Team

Hello @estigirl1,

Appreciate the question. Square Subscriptions does not have any mechanism to track commissions from a subscription. It could certainly handle the recurring billing and you would receive emailed notifications when payments are made. However, you will need to develop your own system for distributing commissions for your subscriptions.

Message 30 of 53

My question is when will subscriptions apply to a paywall of pages on square sites that are not Weebly based. A scenario where we don’t need to issue a password to users that they can log into their account (like for appointments) and content that they pay to subscribe is shown. 

thank you

Message 31 of 53
Community Team

Hi @JacquelineHyde,

Thanks for the question. Subscriptions could certainly handle the recurring billing aspect of your request but providing a way to password protect your content is not something that Square Subscriptions can tackle.

Message 32 of 53
Super Seller

Hi @kristen 

Our team have been chatting about subscriptions and we are trying to figure out if the new updates will allow the following.

1. Subscriptions for self-purchase we feel are on a frequency based delivery, i.e. I want to receive my coffee every month, every 2 months or three months etc. until the purchaser decides to cancel the subscription.

2. Subscriptions purchased as a gift for another person we feel are duration based, i.e. you are likely to buy a gift subscription for say 3, 6 or 12months after the duration is complete the subscription cancels automatically.

The system as it stands works well for the self-purchase subscription, with the planned updates will it work for the duration based subscription?

Many thanks

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 33 of 53
Community Team

Hi @phillipsrw,

Thanks for the questions. If I’m understanding your questions correctly, I believe we can do all that you are asking. Answers below:

1. This sounds like you want to offer coffee subscriptions where a buyer could choose from different frequencies. The current available frequencies for subscriptions are: weekly, every two weeks, monthly, quarterly, twice a year, and yearly. We don’t have options for every two months. After a buyer purchases the subscription, it will continue until they cancel.

2. For this you could set up a plan that has options where the subscription ends after 3, 6, and 12 months. You may want to create separate plans and/or items for that option, but that's entirely up to you: do you want it to all be on the same product page or have separate pages? (i.e., different gift item with a plan that has frequency options that end after a set duration)
Message 34 of 53

Will you be able to support invoicing for subscriptions?  Many of my overseas customers still insist on paying by wire transfer, but I'd love to couple this with Square automation.

Message 35 of 53
Community Team

Hello @Kinsman,

Thanks for the question. Currently all subscriptions only bill to a card on file.

Please note that when creating a new subscription on Dashboard, if you choose “Send Invoice by Email” (under the Payment methods) it will send an invoice on the first billing to collect the card on file. All future billings will be to the newly captured card on file.

Message 36 of 53

This should be really helpful. But we also need an option for an enrollment fee to be added in the same spot- customers won't go back and add that if it's another "item".

Message 37 of 53
Community Team

Hello @TheShadySun,

Appreciate you bringing this up. I’m sorry but Subscriptions does not currently support one-time fees like enrollment fees.

Message 38 of 53

Any plans to enable renewal reminders (refunds for canceled subscriptions are killing us), filtering/exporting of subscriptions (in the "backlog" for 13+ months), and requiring payment by invoice in the near future? The lack of these fundamental features required us to abandon the use of Subscriptions. We might consider trying them again once these are addressed.

Message 39 of 53
Community Team

Hello @wyldbill,

I’m sorry but there are no near term plans to provide subscription renewal reminders. I understand why they are valuable to you.

We will be providing better filtering/sorting of subscriptions within Dashboard later this year. In the meantime, in the coming weeks, we will be releasing a CSV export feature within Dashboard. This will allow you to export all of your subscription data and manage it within your preferred spreadsheet tool (Excel, Google Sheets, etc.).

Lastly, we are not planning to offer payment by invoice for Subscriptions. We believe that Square’s recurring invoice option is a better fit for sellers who wish to regularly bill their customers by invoice.

Message 40 of 53

Hello! We are a non-profit with e-commerce donations set up through our online shop. We would like to offer both one time donations and recurring donations through Subscriptions on Square. Since all donations are tax deductible (because of our non-profit status), we are required by law to physically mail end of year statements on donations made by our donors, so that they can claim a deduction. In order to do this, we need to be able to collect actual mailing addresses from our donors at the point of sale (donation), and be able to export that data in a report format like a CSV file.  

This seems to be pretty easy and straight forward to do for single, one time donations through the shop. But it does not seem to be possible for Subscriptions (recurring donations). There does not appear to be any report export capabilities with the current Subscriptions functionality. 

How would you suggest I retrieve this data from the Square database? Please advise. Thank you!

Message 41 of 53
Community Team

Hello @sharkie_rich,

Thanks for this question! A brand new Export CSV feature for Subscriptions will soon be launched across all Square sellers.

This will enable a “Export” button on the Subscriptions page in Dashboard. Using this, you will be able to download all of the subscription data (including their address). I believe this should provide you with what you need for your end of year statements.

Message 42 of 53