x
Admin

Live Q&A with the Square Beta Team!

On Wednesday the 4th of December at 2pm PT/ 5pm ET we’re hosting our first ever Square Beta Live Q&A

Have you ever considered being part of Square Beta and using the Beta App? Would you like to be on the front line of product releases and updates? Want to drive meaningful change for your business and those around you? We want to work with you to make sure our products are not only useful but also invaluable for your business.

Our own @lindsaybee  and @Howard and myself, will be here to answer all your questions live on December 4th at 2pm PT

Square Beta offers our Sellers the chance to do all the things above. We know you have Feedback and Requests - now is a great time to get into our specific Beta Community where you’ll be influencing the next product launches. 

Here are some example questions:

• What is the benefit of being in a Beta Program?
  • What is the best way to offer Feedback or report a bug?
  • What do you need from me as a Beta Seller?
  • Do Feature Requests actually go anywhere?

Click Reply below to ask your question and we’ll answer every question on Wednesday the 4th of December!

To join our Private Beta Seller Community check out this post in the Community, request to join, and download the Beta App to get started!

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 8.33.23 AM.png

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 1 of 88
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Live Q&A with the Square Beta Team!

Hiya Community! 

We're here and about to begin answering all your questions on this rainy Wednesday in San Fransisco. 

If you have further questions, feel free to post them and we'll get to them as we are able.

@Howard @lindsaybee and myself! 

Communitypost.jpg

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

The Takeaway:

Thank you so much for joining us for our first ever live Q&A with the Beta team. It’s taken us a few days to really organize our thoughts around the takeaways - but we’ve identified these few things.

1. We had a great discussion around Feature Requests - not just your the Feature Requests that were asked in the thread, but we’ve identified some pain points in the request process. We’re focusing on ways to organize and give the broader community insight into what is happening with your feature requests - whether it’s in production or just being tracked until we can work on it.  We’re hoping to have a new system in place in the next few months. 

2. The Beta team is looking for participants who would like to be actively involved in the beta process. That means running your business on the Beta App, being involved in our Beta community to share your feedback, bugs, and feature requests for the product.

Doing so gives you access to other private Betas that we recruit for from our specialized community. Becoming part of the Beta Community of Sellers and participating in the program will help us identify your business for further private beta’s and offer exclusive access to the programs as they launch.

3. Being a beta tester for Square allows you to have access to features and changes before general release. Although the product goes through stringent testing before going to Beta, bugs may arise from time to time. In the case that you do have an issue affecting your day-to-day sales, make sure you report the bug here in our Community, and switch over to the Point of Sale App (the released version). Doing so will allow you to take payments as expected and continue to charge and track your transactions.

To get started in Beta - please request to join our Beta Community. Download the App from the Google Play store or Download TestFlight from the Apple Store, login with your typical login and get started.

highfiver.gif

kellyj
Square Inc

View Best Answer >

Message 86 of 88
87 REPLIES 87
Admin

@ ironindianrider

We tackled the benefits of beta in @StonebeltSupply’s post above. There are definitely a lot of reasons to be involved. Let us know if you have other questions around our answer, and we hope you consider.

We actually have a Beta Program for Square Register. Please let us know if you are interested and we will send you an email invite.

lindsaybee
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 64 of 88
Beta Member

Hi!  Thx for the opportunity.  I have something I like Square to work on!  We give our military and first responders 10% off their entire purchases every day but, when we run a special 20% off price on a product, then we are effectively giving 30% off that item.  Can you do something about this so that item discounts aren’t further increased by an overall discount?

Message 65 of 88
Admin

@BeesAndTreesFrm

Definitely see the difficulty with this kind of thing. We can certainly bring that feedback to our product team. Feature Request roll outs are not created by the Beta team- just managed, so our team that works directly with the discount features will be the correct people to send this feedback to. We’ll get on bubbling up this request for you!

kellyj
Square Inc
Message 66 of 88
Beta Member

Is there a Beat Program for Square Register users? It seems like most posts on the forum are from iOS users, but I several feature requests / bugs that I'd like to report on the Square Register, but I'm not sure how to get them out there.

Message 67 of 88
Admin

@sammyg We have a Beta Program for Square Register. Please let us know if you are interested and we will send you an email invite. Make sure you join us in the Beta Community which is a private forum here on the Seller Community. Once you have joined the Android group, we can take your feedback there for the Square Register. You can also email your feedback to betafeedback@squareup.com! 

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 68 of 88

Questions:

1.  This is my first time joining the Square Beta Team.  Kindly explain the process for doing the testing.

2.  Will any hardware be provided for us to do the testing?

3.  For the feedback process, will it be done only by email or will there be phone support as well?

4.  How much time are we given to do the testing?

5.  Will the testing of the features be specific to what we're doing only (eg, for our industry and for the features that we're using like marketing and loyalty for example).

Message 69 of 88
Admin

@LTR Great questions! 

1. The Process for joining the Beta program is fairly easy. Download the Beta App and get started!
  1. This depends on the needs of the program and can vary by hardware product.

1. We may reach out for feedback through email, phone, or survey.

1. All new features on our POS app are tested on a 2-week beta cycle. Any Beta tester who tests for us on our Square iOS or Android POS apps are eligible for private invitations to preview hardware, software, or partnership programs. These programs vary in length.

1. Testers in the Beta Community may be invited to limited, private programs based on their current use of other products, but we also look at which sellers we think would benefit the most from new tools.
lindsaybee
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 70 of 88

Having only used Square a few times, this is a genuine question: What do you need from me as a Beta Seller?

Thank you.

Message 71 of 88
Admin

@CherishSales As a Beta seller, we want to hear from you! We welcome your feedback as it helps us during testing and improves our products for all Square sellers. Beta feedback and bug reports inform our product teams on what our sellers are saying and if this product is ready for everyone else to use it. Your feedback is vital to our success! 

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 72 of 88
Admin

Hi @CherishSales 

I would also add -- There are two ways we can get feedback from our beta testers. One way is simply through usage; we get automatic crash reports, and can see what features are being used.

Another way is through vocal feedback, which @Howard is highlighting above.

For our invite only programs, we are really counting on our beta testers to provide vocal feedback. One slot will be given to you for the sole purpose of hearing your opinion on how we can improve our products for business owners. For these programs, active participation, which can look like bug reporting, letting us know if something is confusing, or providing other feedback, is highly valued and required.

Heated opinions welcome! 🔥

lindsaybee
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 73 of 88

I would like to have a wait list option.  My clients would like to notified if an appointment they would like opened up.

I was also concerned that an appointment confirmation feature started without my knowledge or consent.  My client told me about it.  I like it yet it would have been nice to know..ahead of time.

When will square be able to work without a special doggle with Samsung 10 phone?

Not that I want to leave Square...yet what happens if I do to all of my old appointments and payments?

Can I access square info offline?

I will not be able to be on the call yet hope there will be a transcript.  Keep up the good work!

Arlene

Message 74 of 88
Admin

@OldFox Thanks for your questions. We’re passing your feature requests over to the Appointments product team. The idea of a wait list is a really interesting one.

Usually when we have a release on a product, we do let you know with an email that a change has been released. I’ll check on the above one you mentioned and see what was communicated out.

To answer your question generally about leaving Square — in the case that you move on you can download your Customer Information by exporting your customer directory. Appointment information does not transfer out, and our Appointments Support team would be able to help you with specific questions about that.

You can access your information with Square offline in most cases — but it will not show you updates and changes done in real time, as it needs to sync with our cloud in order to keep you fully updated.

kellyj
Square Inc
Message 75 of 88

I operate a pet grooming studio and barkery. 

I would love to discuss options that would improve features for groomers, beauticians and estheticians.

Message 76 of 88
Admin

@CarriesCritters 

We're working to track Feature Requests in a more robust way here in the future. Feel free to start a general discussion on what would work for you and your business on our General Discussion board!

kellyj
Square Inc
Message 77 of 88
Admin

Hi @CarriesCritters, I would also add to @kellyj with this: Do you use our Appointments product?

Without fully diving in, it sounds like this could be the good option for you. We keep track of which products our beta testers are using in our Beta Community, and invite them to programs when new features come up for testing. We'd love to bring you into the pool of testers!

lindsaybee
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 78 of 88

Any plans to add space for customers to add custom requests when ordering in the online store? Right now, I only see that they can add custom info in the shopping cart. Would be super helpful for my business if they can add requests to each item and even upload images or files with their order.

also - when setting up a square website it does not allow a spot to put that hours are by appointment only. we run a business that does not have open office hours and would like a good way to add that info in the "location & hours" section.

Message 79 of 88
Admin

@Jenn1803 

This is a great Feature Request for our eCom team, we'll be happy to track and pass it. We've ran some beta's in the past with ecom, so we'll let you know if there are some in the future.

kellyj
Square Inc
Message 80 of 88
Beta Member

How risky is it? In terms of running the business, if there is a glitch, do we have issues completing a transaction?

Message 81 of 88
Admin

Hi! @FriendlyNatives Our Beta app goes through extensive testing and QA before it's released to our Beta community. Overall it's very stable, but we do run into issues from time to time. We don't expect these issues to affect taking payments, but if you do see a bug on the beta app, please file to our team and we will quickly to resolve the issue. We also recommend to keep the App Store version of the Square app downloaded just in case. 

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 82 of 88
Admin

Hiya Community! 

We're here and about to begin answering all your questions on this rainy Wednesday in San Fransisco. 

If you have further questions, feel free to post them and we'll get to them as we are able.

@Howard @lindsaybee and myself! 

Communitypost.jpg

kellyj
Square Inc
Message 83 of 88
Beta Member

How does this Live Q&A work? I'm not sure where to look or what to do. Am I supposed to just sit and read all the questions that have been posted and see how you responded to them?

Message 84 of 88