x
Admin

Meet the Device Experience team: How can we help you better manage your devices?

Happy New Year, Sellers!

On Tuesday, January 18th, our Device Experience team hosted a Q&A focused on sellers' needs with device monitoring. Topics covered related to: Square Card Readers, Square Stand, Square Register, Square Terminal, printers, scales, scanners, and cash drawers.

VerveWine_Retail_IntegratedDevices_Stand_PF_0097_TB_01_Medium.jpg

We've got exciting plans this year that will help you monitor device connectivity, battery status, and logins from a single hub within the online Square Dashboard. We can't share out specific details on our product roadmaps, though we will certainly make sure all of the feedback that came through on this thread is incorporated into the decision making process.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 139
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thank you again for taking the time to weigh in with your questions and feedback! The experiences you shared will help us as we continue to iterate going forward. As we close out this thread, we wanted to do a recap on the themes that came up frequently:

• Device Monitoring and Management - Sellers want to view information like device ID, connectivity status, software version history, upcoming hardware launches, and information on outdated hardware. They would also like to configure network settings and update app versions remotely. There was also feedback on making these features available on mobile in addition to the online Square Dashboard on desktop.

• Peripheral Support - Sellers asked for new peripheral support such as external keyboard, mouse, stylus pen, as well as additional cost effective printer brands and support for desktop printers from Point of Sale. Sellers who are set up with Square for Restaurants asked for integration with temperature monitoring systems in their kitchen.

• Remarkable Device Experience - Sellers asked for multiple device support on card readers, network enabled communications, and recommending wifi boosters when internet connection is consistently poor.

• Hardware Feature Enhancement - Ability to extend screen timeout and ability to insert card face up and down on Register, iPad pro support on Stand, and a line busting app on Square Terminal.

We did receive a variety of questions and feedback on Square for Retail, Appointments, and Square for Restaurants apps — as well as feature requests for inventory and order management. If you asked for a feature that does not exist today or identified issues, we passed along your feedback internally to the respective product teams. We take seller feedback very seriously and are assessing feasibility and priority.

For those of you who are having device issues including battery issues, please contact the Customer Success team.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and we'll continue to make improvements based on your business needs. For the latest updates, subscribe to Product Updates and you'll receive notifications of our newest features.

View Best Answer >

Message 139 of 139
138 REPLIES 138

I get a lot of payments on venmo as well as square, it would be nice if square expanded as an app like Venmo so clients could trust it as a form of payment and the convenience of that, with square I can get loans and if I doubled the amount through square it would be all around better for everyone. 

Message 2 of 139
Super Seller

Square has the Cash App easier to use than Venmo and much safer to use.

René

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 3 of 139
Square

💯Thanks for chiming in @GourmetOnWheels 

Message 4 of 139
Beta Member

would be nice if cash app worked with square for retail. we can take cash app but the customer has to tell us ahead of time and we need to use the regular square app and ring them up from there. kind of a pain.

Little by little we human beings are confronted with situations that give us more and more clues that we are not perfect.
-Fred Rogers
Message 5 of 139
Super Seller

@Laceyslashes101 I agree, encourage the cash app for your customers...just like venmo, except square accepts all the liability for any fraudulent transactions..translation..no charge backs.  I do not think you have that same guarantee with venmo.  Cash App last I checked reported 70 million users and venmo was 75 million..that is a few months old but cash app is growing faster than venmo.

It is a win win solution to ask people to try it out for you..and with cash app those people can get a debit style card I think.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 6 of 139
Square

Thanks for the addl context @Donnie-M 

Message 7 of 139
Beta Member

cash app won't work with square for retail 😞

Little by little we human beings are confronted with situations that give us more and more clues that we are not perfect.
-Fred Rogers
Message 8 of 139
Square

Hi @Laceyslashes101,

Last year we launched the ability to take Cash App payments from Square POS. I can see a similar integration with Venmo being useful for your scenario. Though it's not something we are currently working on, feedback like yours will help us prioritize this feature in our future roadmap.

Message 9 of 139
Beta Member

I have recently started using the clock in/out app. It would be nice to expand permissions to include the ability to see who is currently clocked in, and perhaps a master code to correct hours on the registers. This would be very helpful to me. 

Message 10 of 139
Beta Member

Let me expand a little. It’s difficult to see if somebody’s clocked in that shouldn’t be, or not clocked in and should be. Then the tip amounts are unusable unless you’re absolutely sure the hours are correct. Fixing hours through requests is great but when when an employee is standing next to me and tells me they forgot to clock in for the first hour, it’s much more laborious then it needs to be. 

Message 11 of 139
Square

Hi @TheCupandMuffin,

We can set most of the permissions you are asking for from Square dashboard.

(1) To see a list of currently clocked in team members, the best place would be the Workday view within the Shifts applet in Dashboard: https://squareup.com/dashboard/shifts/workday

(2) There are permissions today related to Time Tracking under Shifts

(3) You can also fix a timecard on Workday in Dashboard 

Does this help or are you looking for these features to be available on Square register?

Message 12 of 139
Beta Member

Yeah on the Square register. I would like all employees to be able to see who's currently clocked in. If someone walks out the door without clocking out, someone should be able to see that and help correct the problem. This is a feature that our last timeclock app had that is sorely miss.

Also, We have a coffee/sandwich shop and my office is at my home, so correcting hours on the fly is very difficult, while I'm at work.

Currently this is the process;

1. Employee: "Both George and I forgot to clock out last night." Me: "Okay, both of you send me a request on your square app".

2. Employee's grab their phones (we prefer no phones during work) and send the request.

3. I receive the requests which takes 6 clicks each from my phone to grant with tiny writing, because it has to load the full dashboard site on my phone.

What I would prefer;

1. Employee: "Both George and I forgot to clock out last night."

2. Me: Walk over to the register, Click, Click, Click, "Done"

Also available with my old timeclock app.

Thank you AnjaliA!

Message 13 of 139
Square

Good to know. Thanks for the additional context. 

Message 14 of 139
Beta Member

Hate to sound like a broken record, but that's how it works on the old RMPOS, click, click, click done... would be nice to have this capability.

Message 15 of 139
Beta Member

I would like to give the option for customer to place order on the phone or online but pay curbside with their card.  How can i do this and have the order printed in our warehouse for packing.  we have tried a few ways put its not productive, too many repetitive

steps

Message 16 of 139
Square

Hi @belkismorin

You can create an "unpaid" order in SPOS today using Open Tickets. This will allow you to add items to the cart, print the ticket to the warehouse, and then pay for the order when the customer arrives.

If you are using the Square POS app, you can enable Open Tickets from the navigation bar at the bottom of your screen in Square POS app, tap “More”

1. Tap Settings > Open Tickets.
  2. Tap Open Tickets and toggle the feature on.

There are more detailed instructions on how you can create an open ticket (unpaid order) and print receipt before payment here.

I want to also note a limitation we currently have. Open tickets will not be displayed in the order tab in POS app or in Dashboard. However, we are hoping to close this gap soon.

Message 17 of 139
Beta Member

thank you so much for this awesome advise, will try

Message 18 of 139
Beta Member

We offer delivery service , it would be nice to have the option to text the customer a reminders and notification of their orders.  I tried using square appointments but the format was only appointments and the wording was limited , is their an alternative.  T the moment i use another application for this.  I would like to keep my process as simple as possible. cutting out the third parties for notifications and curbside orders and printing would be great. 

Message 19 of 139
Square

Hello again @belkismorin,

What Square product are you using for placing an order? Is it Square Online?

We unfortunately don’t have a buyer notifications feature within our central order management system today. We do have something in the works, which we plan to announce soon.

Thanks for reaching out!

Message 20 of 139

There is a passcode for my account that I dont even know, how do I turn off this feature

Message 21 of 139