x
Admin

Meet the Order Manager product team: Which workflows are most critical to managing orders? 📨🧾

Hi Seller Community,

Have questions about the Orders section on your Point of Sale or online Square Dashboard? Our product team wants to hear from you!

I'm thrilled to introduce you to @chada and @Aaron_Product, whose teams focus on order management. Whether you're set up with Square Point of Sale, Square for Retail, Square for Restaurants, or Square Online, this is an opportunity for you to ask questions and share feedback on the order manager’s role in managing your business, notifying you of new or updated orders, printing order tickets, or providing settings for configuring your order-specific workflows. 

Post your questions to this thread ahead of time and check back with us on Wednesday, June 29, at 11 a.m. PDT/2 p.m. EDT when their team responds. 

A few example questions:

• What are the latest feature improvements that will help me better manage orders with Square Online?
  • If Square Order Manager could support "_______," the day-to-day operations at my restaurant would run so much smoother.
  • I keep running into "_______" every time an order comes through at my retail store. What's the best practice for addressing this?
  • What plans do you have for allowing me to configure Order Manager to suit the specific workflows of my business?
  • Do you have any plans to improve the onboarding experience to Order Manager for new sellers or employees?

ph210202A_GerardsDeli_02112_02_DM_IE_SIMP.jpg

Note: We are not able to share specific details on our product roadmaps, though this information will be helpful as we continue to make improvements.

Click Reply below to post a question ahead of time, and we’ll address as many posts as we can on Wednesday, June 29.👇

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 217
1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Meet the Order Manager product team: Which workflows are most critical to managing orders? 📨🧾

Hello everyone!

The time for receiving new questions has closed for this event. Thank you to everyone who asked questions and shared their experiences — we received a lot of helpful feedback!

The Order Manager team will continue to address your posts as they are able. Due to the high volume of interest across all of our forums, it may take a few days to follow up on remaining inquires. We appreciate your patience and please keep watch for updates throughout the end of the week and early next week. 🙏🏻

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks so much to all of you who took the time to share your questions and feedback with us! We were impressed with the level of engagement we received and were excited to see so much interest in this topic. 

We hope your questions were answered—the experiences you've shared will help us as we continue to enhance Square’s Order Manager based on your feedback.

As we wrap up this event, we wanted to recap the main themes that we observed across all the feedback:

More personalization options for order management workflows and printing

Some sellers operate off of only printed tickets, while others want to be able to complete an order after it arrives with a single button press. Some sellers want to complete bulk actions with minimal screen interactions. We are kicking off new discovery next month around the most common ways sellers want to personalize their workflows so we can meet you where your business is to enable Order Manager to become a lever in your business growth plan. We will be reaching out to all sellers who raised this topic to better understand the most important ways you want to personalize your order management experience to optimize your workflows in a way that suits your specific business needs. 

Editing orders after they have been paid and received

We understand that you have the ability to change the order after it appears in POS. In-store situations demand a change in the order—Situations such as selling out an item or having a customer call and request a change. We are working on enabling this capability for our order partners (including Square Online), such that the buyer is also made aware of the change. Please keep in mind that adoption will be dependent on the order partner (i.e. Doordash will have to enable this ability as well). We hope to have that out to you in the near future.

Customizing order and fulfillment settings on your Square Online site

We are working to centralize the fulfillment settings that apply to both your Square Online orders as well as any orders that are created through 3rd party apps and to expose those settings to developers via a public API so all orders are set with the correct fulfillment details. This will ensure that the same settings are adhered to no matter which channel your orders are placed so you can standardize your operations and deliver consistent service to all your customers. 

Creating orders with fulfillments at POS

Sellers want to create orders with fulfillments like Delivery or Pickup at the POS. We heard you loud and clear that this is a gap you want filled and we are exploring ways to support this capability in the future so you can offer the same great service to your customers, no matter how they order from you.

Again, thanks for your participation. For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates.

Thanks,

Aaron, Chada and Christian

PXL_20220629_192321201.jpg

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!

View Best Answer >

Message 214 of 217
216 REPLIES 216
Super Seller

Are we going to be able to edit orders in Order Manager? We struggle with that quite a bit where a customer orders a future order online but then needs to change something on the order but we're not able to modify it. 

Message 2 of 217
Square Community Moderator

Hi @LLCafe,

I am not seeing as something on the horizon for Square when I am researching. I am also not seeing anything that has been submitted on the ideate board. 

I think that is a great idea, I get how useful editing from the order manager would be, just makes things a lot easier. I would submit a feature request for this so our team can look into it. 

Let us know if we can help with anything else! 

Message 3 of 217
Beta Member

Hello,

We would like to be able to edit orders that come in online. Having to refund the customer and then invoice them again is the reason we are still on Shopify for online. If they had support for variable weight items we would use their POS. I am really surprised that it's not on any roadmap I have personally requested this feature and have seen multiple threads about this. 

Over all I like square better but not being able to edit orders is a deal-breaker for us. 

Thanks

Message 4 of 217

They sent me an apple square and I have a Samsung phone with the type c port how do I get one compatible to my phone

Message 5 of 217
Square

Yes, we are aware of this feature request and are actively developing a way to return and exchange orders in the platform, so that sellers can refund customers for any order in Order Manager. (for now it is only available for orders created at Retail POS or by Square Online). Order editing is also on our roadmap.

Message 6 of 217

Why does Square NOT give an option anymore to slide cards?

Message 7 of 217
Square

Are you asking in reference to the 2nd gen Square Stand? If so, there is an audio jack available on that device where a Square reader can be inserted to allow for swipe payments. 

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 8 of 217
Square

Can you give some examples of times you've wanted to edit online orders? How did you handle the situation without that ability to edit? How would you expect that to work if you could edit orders, in terms of customer communication, updating payments, etc? 

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 9 of 217
Super Seller

We have this issue often. Especially when needing to cancel a certain item and replace it with another. For example, when something sells out before we can mark it sold out on  POS & Online 

Jacob - He/ Him
JJs Meat Shak - Co-Owner& Operations Manager
Supper Seller- Here to help! Just Ask!
http://www.jjsmeatshak.com
Message 10 of 217

Agree. This is a perfect example. Customer orders an item before you get to mark out of stock. You can’t edit the order. We have to call the customer and notify them our item isnt available.

Message 11 of 217
Square

It sounds like you need to be able to do an "exchange" between items in Order Manager. We are aware of this feature request and will work on it soon. CC @Chichivegan 

Message 12 of 217
Super Seller

Hi @Aaron_Product,

For us we get a lot of orders for future dates and for catering. So when the time gets closer sometimes our customers need to add a remove meals from the order or adjust an order because someone changes their mind or change the contact information / delivery information for the order. As a result we'd need to be able to modify the contents of the order. 

Ideally we'd like to be able to modify the order from both Order Manager or Square Dashboard but for order contents I'd like to see it allow us to modify the order and then send the customer an email that says their order has been modified and somehow list what has been modified. As far as payment goes it could either credit back the entire amount and then recharge the new amount or charge or credit the difference of the changes to the customer. Another option is leave the order in an authorized state until the day of the transaction and then settle the transaction at that point so it can be modified until the day the order is for (it might be cleanest this way). 

Message 13 of 217

Customer requests extras in requests section and hasn't been charged for those extras, i can not give the customer extras without up charging for those fees without contacting customer directly and making another ticket.  With menufy i have an adjustment button where i can adjust the price if i have to add more or deduct due to not having item in stock.

Message 14 of 217

Why does Apple Pay glitch out with square online and cause a customer to purchase 10 tickets instead of the 2 that they want. We’ve been having this issue for over a year now and have put in multiple calls to square to not avail 

Message 15 of 217
Square

We understand that this is a highly requested feature. We are currently looking into enabling order edit for orders that are authorized but payment is not finalized. Next, we will look into order editing for orders that have finalized payments.

Message 16 of 217
Square

We understand that this is a highly requested feature. We are currently looking into enabling order edit for orders that have authorized payments. After that, we will look into order editing for orders that have finalized payments.

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 17 of 217
Super Seller

When it comes to fulfilling online orders I find it could be streamlined significantly.

For Software/hardware I use Square for Retail on a Square Register with a MPOP Printer/Register.

Currently:

An order comes in online, I get a emailed copy of what they ordered and I can either manually print it out or go to the register and pre-print the order to pull it. 

When I go to print the order from the Square register I have to:

1. Open Orders, find the order.

2. Tap to open the order.

3. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen.

4. Tap More Actions.

5. Tap Print.

6. Tap on Screen to exit More Actions.

7. Tap the X to exit the order.

Streamlined it would look like:

1. Open Orders, find the order.

2. Tap Print icon on top right of order.

In addition it's very difficult to fulfill orders when printing the orders from the square register does NOT include SKU/PLU information to ensure my employees are pulling the right items. They have to manually write each last six digits on each item to ensure correct pulling. I believe this is a current feature request.

TL;DR: I guess are there plans to streamline printing orders/making it easier for us to fulfill orders? 

I included the above work flow to show why manually printing orders is a bit of a chore.

www.PartyManiaBethesda.com
Please Require Customers to pick time/date at checkout for Square online. Thanks!
Message 18 of 217
Square

Thanks for the feedback. I agree there's definitely room to improve the process to manually print orders.

Is there a reason you don't have your orders print automatically? Here's a help article that can help you set that up if you're interested: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5194-print-order-tickets

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 19 of 217
Square

As a followup, we are researching bulk actions including printing from the List View.

Regarding the SKU feedback, we recognize that sellers have different workflows and different needs for their printed tickets. We’re looking into how we can better offer customization across the board to better match your individual workflow.

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 20 of 217
Super Seller

I have orders set to print automatically 30 minutes before the order but the printing is only half of the problem. Without putting SKU's under each item being ordered we have an extremely hard time pulling the orders. 

www.PartyManiaBethesda.com
Please Require Customers to pick time/date at checkout for Square online. Thanks!
Message 21 of 217