x
Admin

Meet the Order Manager product team: Which workflows are most critical to managing orders? 📨🧾

Hi Seller Community,

Have questions about the Orders section on your Point of Sale or online Square Dashboard? Our product team wants to hear from you!

I'm thrilled to introduce you to @chada and @Aaron_Product, whose teams focus on order management. Whether you're set up with Square Point of Sale, Square for Retail, Square for Restaurants, or Square Online, this is an opportunity for you to ask questions and share feedback on the order manager’s role in managing your business, notifying you of new or updated orders, printing order tickets, or providing settings for configuring your order-specific workflows. 

Post your questions to this thread ahead of time and check back with us on Wednesday, June 29, at 11 a.m. PDT/2 p.m. EDT when their team responds. 

A few example questions:

• What are the latest feature improvements that will help me better manage orders with Square Online?
  • If Square Order Manager could support "_______," the day-to-day operations at my restaurant would run so much smoother.
  • I keep running into "_______" every time an order comes through at my retail store. What's the best practice for addressing this?
  • What plans do you have for allowing me to configure Order Manager to suit the specific workflows of my business?
  • Do you have any plans to improve the onboarding experience to Order Manager for new sellers or employees?

ph210202A_GerardsDeli_02112_02_DM_IE_SIMP.jpg

Note: We are not able to share specific details on our product roadmaps, though this information will be helpful as we continue to make improvements.

Click Reply below to post a question ahead of time, and we’ll address as many posts as we can on Wednesday, June 29.👇

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 217
1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Meet the Order Manager product team: Which workflows are most critical to managing orders? 📨🧾

Hello everyone!

The time for receiving new questions has closed for this event. Thank you to everyone who asked questions and shared their experiences — we received a lot of helpful feedback!

The Order Manager team will continue to address your posts as they are able. Due to the high volume of interest across all of our forums, it may take a few days to follow up on remaining inquires. We appreciate your patience and please keep watch for updates throughout the end of the week and early next week. 🙏🏻

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks so much to all of you who took the time to share your questions and feedback with us! We were impressed with the level of engagement we received and were excited to see so much interest in this topic. 

We hope your questions were answered—the experiences you've shared will help us as we continue to enhance Square’s Order Manager based on your feedback.

As we wrap up this event, we wanted to recap the main themes that we observed across all the feedback:

More personalization options for order management workflows and printing

Some sellers operate off of only printed tickets, while others want to be able to complete an order after it arrives with a single button press. Some sellers want to complete bulk actions with minimal screen interactions. We are kicking off new discovery next month around the most common ways sellers want to personalize their workflows so we can meet you where your business is to enable Order Manager to become a lever in your business growth plan. We will be reaching out to all sellers who raised this topic to better understand the most important ways you want to personalize your order management experience to optimize your workflows in a way that suits your specific business needs. 

Editing orders after they have been paid and received

We understand that you have the ability to change the order after it appears in POS. In-store situations demand a change in the order—Situations such as selling out an item or having a customer call and request a change. We are working on enabling this capability for our order partners (including Square Online), such that the buyer is also made aware of the change. Please keep in mind that adoption will be dependent on the order partner (i.e. Doordash will have to enable this ability as well). We hope to have that out to you in the near future.

Customizing order and fulfillment settings on your Square Online site

We are working to centralize the fulfillment settings that apply to both your Square Online orders as well as any orders that are created through 3rd party apps and to expose those settings to developers via a public API so all orders are set with the correct fulfillment details. This will ensure that the same settings are adhered to no matter which channel your orders are placed so you can standardize your operations and deliver consistent service to all your customers. 

Creating orders with fulfillments at POS

Sellers want to create orders with fulfillments like Delivery or Pickup at the POS. We heard you loud and clear that this is a gap you want filled and we are exploring ways to support this capability in the future so you can offer the same great service to your customers, no matter how they order from you.

Again, thanks for your participation. For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates.

Thanks,

Aaron, Chada and Christian

PXL_20220629_192321201.jpg

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!

View Best Answer >

Message 214 of 217
216 REPLIES 216
Square

We are actively working on order editing for authorized or unpaid orders in Order Manager! Paid order edits will come later.

To confirm, your other note is around disabling items that have run out? Today, this would require the integration (in this case Doordash) to use the inventory API and for the seller to keep inventory up to date. I believe your request is have this inventory check be automatic by default, and to even hide the item from the integration entirely? Let me know if I misunderstood.

Message 43 of 217

Hi is there a way to "hide" a category? we have 2 categories for custom orders that contain items ordered for specific individuals and I would like for them not to show up when searching for something under "all items" because it makes it more difficult to find what we are looking for. In other words if we are searching for an item called "hydrangea" we have to wade through all items with "hydrangea" in the item name that were made for specific individuals which amounts to quite a few. This question is from FLEURI DESIGNS in Wellesley MA. 617-731-1500 or zoe@fleuridesigns.com

Message 44 of 217
Square

Can you clarify if you mean you want to "hide" a category from being ordered through your Square Online site?

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 45 of 217
Square

From our Square Online team: In the store-admin catalog, you can filter by visibility and category, but we don't have category exclusions. You can also hide a category from your published site, but you seem to be referring to excluding certain categories during an ordering workflow, which is currently not possible. 

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 46 of 217

Can we get a ringtone for new orders?

Message 47 of 217

Yes, we miss orders because it would be helpful if the order had a specific or louder notification. Most of the time only one person is working and the tiny notification icon is easily missed 

Message 48 of 217
Square

New order notifications occur through in OS-level push notification on your device and include a chime. Please ensure your devices volume is turned up in order to hear this audible indicator when new orders arrive in your POS. We are investigating peripheral integrations for louder sounds made for Restaurants, but we have no plans to change the existing sound.

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 49 of 217
Square

If you have notifications enabled you should be able to hear a noise. You can check this in your device settings > Orders > Order Notifications > Allow new order notifications. Keep in mind that if you have the volume on your device muted or low you may not hear it. 

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 50 of 217
Square

Hey @DennisW and @Jandjspirits, I'm following up with some more details for you here:

New order notifications occur through in OS-level push notification on your device and include a chime. Please ensure your devices volume is turned up in order to hear this audible indicator when new orders arrive in your POS.

We are investigating peripheral integrations for louder sounds made for Restaurants, but we have no plans to change the existing sound.

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 51 of 217

Hello,

Is there anything on the horizon for seeing on a KDS when courses are fired on a KDS for restaurants? We currently just have to guess due to the KDS not showing when a server or bartender fires a ticket that is ON HOLD beyond having a printer send us a ticket, which kind of defeats the purpose of the KDS screen to replace printers. Being able to see what orders are ON HOLD and which are FIRED would make it usable again. 

Will there be any integration for online ordering with the POS for restaurants? Currently, whenever I have to add a new dish to the system I have to add it to the item list, then add the details/price/category, then it adds it to the website but I have to redo the categories and other info on the online portal. It goes the same way with removing items. If I have to remove an item for a day due to not having products, I have to remove it from the POS and the Online Portal as well. It would be very helpful for the system to be able to just copy the POS screen to the online ordering.  

Thank you

Jason

Message 52 of 217

I would LOVE to dump PayPal for online orders/shopping cart and bring everything into Square, but you don't have an option to adjust the shipping fee charged based on the order total.  There also isn't a way to adjust shipping charges based on if the order is domestic or international.

Jason

RPC Electronics, LLC

www.rpc-electronics.com

Message 53 of 217
Square

For your first question, this feature will be available in the next KDS update, 5.95! For your second question, could you confirm that you are using Square Online as your online portal?

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 54 of 217
Square

Hey @RPCElectronics, I'm following up with some more details.

You can adjust Shipping fee charged to your buyers based on the order total and the location of the buyer. These settings can be configured using Shipping Profiles. Details can be found in this help article: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6910-set-up-shipping-areas-and-rates-with-square-online-stor... 

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 55 of 217

What do I do when I pay someone and they don't provide the product?

Message 56 of 217
Square

Can you please provide more details around how you are using Square to pay a vendor who does not deliver the product you paid for?

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 57 of 217
Beta Member

Hello! I’d love for the Square team to work on order modifications on the backend for the seller where you can add notes like what samples you included in the shipment or special details like that customer was a referral so you have that information in one place in the order management history. Currently I have a separate google sheet that needs to be maintained for every order and it’s tedious for multiple people to update.

Message 58 of 217
Square

How do you want to use that information that you would capture about samples sent in a shipment or details about customers? Can you provide more specifics about your business and how you use this information?

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 59 of 217
Square

Thanks for this feedback. It sounds like you want to add free items (samples) in the order, but you don’t have a way to track it. I suppose that helps to determine whether the free sample led to an additional order? This sounds like a great idea, but can you confirm that’s why you want to track this information?

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 60 of 217

How do I easily notify customers when their order is ready by text with Square for Retail? 

Message 61 of 217

That’s an excellent question. I hope someone gives a great answer because I want to know also.

Message 62 of 217
Square

We do not have automated messaging based on the order state, but you can now message customers directly by tapping on the phone number or email attached to the order from the Order Details page within Order Manager.

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 63 of 217