x
Admin

Meet the Order Manager product team: Which workflows are most critical to managing orders? 📨🧾

Hi Seller Community,

Have questions about the Orders section on your Point of Sale or online Square Dashboard? Our product team wants to hear from you!

I'm thrilled to introduce you to @chada and @Aaron_Product, whose teams focus on order management. Whether you're set up with Square Point of Sale, Square for Retail, Square for Restaurants, or Square Online, this is an opportunity for you to ask questions and share feedback on the order manager’s role in managing your business, notifying you of new or updated orders, printing order tickets, or providing settings for configuring your order-specific workflows. 

Post your questions to this thread ahead of time and check back with us on Wednesday, June 29, at 11 a.m. PDT/2 p.m. EDT when their team responds. 

A few example questions:

• What are the latest feature improvements that will help me better manage orders with Square Online?
  • If Square Order Manager could support "_______," the day-to-day operations at my restaurant would run so much smoother.
  • I keep running into "_______" every time an order comes through at my retail store. What's the best practice for addressing this?
  • What plans do you have for allowing me to configure Order Manager to suit the specific workflows of my business?
  • Do you have any plans to improve the onboarding experience to Order Manager for new sellers or employees?

ph210202A_GerardsDeli_02112_02_DM_IE_SIMP.jpg

Note: We are not able to share specific details on our product roadmaps, though this information will be helpful as we continue to make improvements.

Click Reply below to post a question ahead of time, and we’ll address as many posts as we can on Wednesday, June 29.👇

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 217
1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Meet the Order Manager product team: Which workflows are most critical to managing orders? 📨🧾

Hello everyone!

The time for receiving new questions has closed for this event. Thank you to everyone who asked questions and shared their experiences — we received a lot of helpful feedback!

The Order Manager team will continue to address your posts as they are able. Due to the high volume of interest across all of our forums, it may take a few days to follow up on remaining inquires. We appreciate your patience and please keep watch for updates throughout the end of the week and early next week. 🙏🏻

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks so much to all of you who took the time to share your questions and feedback with us! We were impressed with the level of engagement we received and were excited to see so much interest in this topic. 

We hope your questions were answered—the experiences you've shared will help us as we continue to enhance Square’s Order Manager based on your feedback.

As we wrap up this event, we wanted to recap the main themes that we observed across all the feedback:

More personalization options for order management workflows and printing

Some sellers operate off of only printed tickets, while others want to be able to complete an order after it arrives with a single button press. Some sellers want to complete bulk actions with minimal screen interactions. We are kicking off new discovery next month around the most common ways sellers want to personalize their workflows so we can meet you where your business is to enable Order Manager to become a lever in your business growth plan. We will be reaching out to all sellers who raised this topic to better understand the most important ways you want to personalize your order management experience to optimize your workflows in a way that suits your specific business needs. 

Editing orders after they have been paid and received

We understand that you have the ability to change the order after it appears in POS. In-store situations demand a change in the order—Situations such as selling out an item or having a customer call and request a change. We are working on enabling this capability for our order partners (including Square Online), such that the buyer is also made aware of the change. Please keep in mind that adoption will be dependent on the order partner (i.e. Doordash will have to enable this ability as well). We hope to have that out to you in the near future.

Customizing order and fulfillment settings on your Square Online site

We are working to centralize the fulfillment settings that apply to both your Square Online orders as well as any orders that are created through 3rd party apps and to expose those settings to developers via a public API so all orders are set with the correct fulfillment details. This will ensure that the same settings are adhered to no matter which channel your orders are placed so you can standardize your operations and deliver consistent service to all your customers. 

Creating orders with fulfillments at POS

Sellers want to create orders with fulfillments like Delivery or Pickup at the POS. We heard you loud and clear that this is a gap you want filled and we are exploring ways to support this capability in the future so you can offer the same great service to your customers, no matter how they order from you.

Again, thanks for your participation. For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates.

Thanks,

Aaron, Chada and Christian

PXL_20220629_192321201.jpg

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!

View Best Answer >

Message 214 of 217
216 REPLIES 216
Square

How does this customer place their order with you? How would you like to be able to recall this "saved order" for easy re-ordering in your scenario?

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 106 of 217

I'd like Square Orders to support:  The ability for me to create an order for the customer (it's a phone order), that operates the same as a customer order created by them online.  This way it goes through the same order management for shipping or delivery/pickup.  I get a lot of phone orders, and they are now outside Square (and Square payments) because of this.  If they worked the same as online orders, I would put them all through with Square.

Message 107 of 217
Square

Hi @TrailheadTeaAZ,

Pickup and Shipment fulfillments can be created on Square POS and Retail POS. We are looking at enabling the creation of all fulfillment types, including Delivery, for all POS products in the future.

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 108 of 217

An integration between Square and Pirate Ship would be amazing!  Also, including a charging block in the contactless reader box would be great. Especially after we’ve already bought the reader and charging  dock.

Message 109 of 217

I prefer the old dashboard for all things POS. Don’t like the mark in progress, ready for pickup & picked up buttons. Wish this was simplified to just Ready for pickup.
Too many touch points. If we clear out old orders days later the customers call our store confused thinking a new order was made. 

Message 110 of 217
Square

It sounds like you want to nix "In Progress" in your workflow entirely. We have not enabled customized fulfillment flows, yet but we are exploring how to introduce customization in the product.

Message 111 of 217

There was a box that popped up while I was working on my website & it went away by the time I got to it because of my computer being so extra slow that day & it told how to make our website mobile friendly so that it looks like you are looking at the website from a computer versus looking weird on your phone like huge pictures & looks crazy & can’t tell what anything is. Please tell me how to make my website mobile friendly…it was a new option to be able to finally do with our websites. 

Message 112 of 217
Square

Hi @KimberlynShelby ,

Square has partnered with 99designs to offer our sellers design services to build and launch their Square Online site. Design services range from a simple online ordering page to a full custom website, and start from $199. You can find out more and connect with a Square Online store designer here: https://99designs.com/square-online

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 113 of 217

Invwentory managemt is terrible with apps such Kiosk Buddy. It’s supposed to integrate but doesn’t. Therefore people are ordering at kiosk but square pos inventory changes don’t reflect.   Why doesn’t square have there own kiosk system? This is needed & very popular in restaurants today.  
not a fan of KioskBuddy or any of the kiosk apps via square  but I have no choice . 

Message 114 of 217
Super Seller

@ChichiveganAre you using the app store or beta version of KioskBuddy? The beta version has almost seamless integration with inventory along with a lot better of an experience on our side. Every order will show up in Order Manager and the tickets are broken down instead of showing up as a custom amount. Reach out to Marvin at KB and ask to be on the beta. Worlds of difference!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 115 of 217

Extremely helpful if we could take invoices and transactions from the app then convert them into orders.  There is a break down in the process. Sometimes orders come from an invoice or phone order, do the sale, but then there isn’t a way to get it into the order que and sync with shipping. Would be good if there was an option to convert any transaction/sale in Square into an “order” with the e-commerce. 

Message 116 of 217
Beta Member

If Square Order Manager could add a PICKED UP button for Delivery orders, it would make my operations much smoother and move orders through the queue.

Instead, the Order flow goes from Ready for Pick Up to Delivered. 

Message 117 of 217
Square

Hi @MyShadeandText ,

Thanks for this feedback. If orders were to be marked as Picked Up in Order Manager, how would you expect them to eventually be marked as Delivered? 

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 118 of 217
Beta Member

Great question! 
The courier should be responsible for marking the order as Delivered from their app. 

As of now, I either go back to the queue to track the delivery in real-time or contact the customer to confirm delivery by the courier. 

Essentially, I feel there should be an option of Picked Up to notify the customer that their Order is en route automatically.  

Message 119 of 217
Square

Thanks for your feedback! We'll take this into consideration as we are getting close to launching Delivery fulfillments in the Orders API to allow Deliveries to be created regardless of the source. 

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 120 of 217

Is there a chance that you will introduce variable time order fulfillment in the future? Currently, every single order has the same allotted time for preparation, set by me. We have a restaurant.  If a customer orders a single item for pickup (or delivery through a partner) the time for preparation is the same as a customer that orders several items.  I can set the time for a particular item to be longer, but not longer based the size of the order.  For instance, if a customer orders one bowl of soup, which takes us a couple of minutes to get ready, the preparation time is the same as a customer who orders 6 salads, which may take us 20-30 minutes to prepare. It would be nice if the system would allow us to set the preparation time based on the number of items in an order or the total dollar amount so that we can more accurately advertise prep times.

Message 121 of 217
Super Seller

This would help us a lot as well, we receive a lot of catering orders that we have this challenge with.

Message 122 of 217
Square

Thanks for your feedback. We're actively working on improving our prep time logic to account for factors like this and would appreciate your feedback on some of our concepts. Someone on our team will reach out to discuss further.

Aaron
Product Manager, Orders
Schedule time to talk!
Message 123 of 217
Beta Member

Is there a team that focuses specifically on the restaurant side of Square - and how much experience do they have in the various food services?  Sadly it seems many restaurant operators post requests for enhancements to the restaurant Square experience and many, many, many of them are never addressed after months and sometimes years of 'thank you for your feedback, we'll pass this on to the developers.'

There is no way to edit placed orders. On some 3rd party delivery services - additional charges can be added during the order. Not on Square 😞   So when a customer orders a salad - then in the notes says 'please add 2 ranch, 2 white french and 2 honey mustard dressings.' there is no way to charge for that and we loose the product or risk a negative review.

Message 124 of 217
Square

Thanks for your feedback. Sorry that you feel Square misses the mark for Restaurants. I can tell you we are actively trying to close the gaps here for Restaurants and we are making strong investments in growing our teams to support Restaurant needs. In particular my team is working on a preauth open order with order editing capabilities for in-store first (and eventually for online orders). We are looking to land a beta for RST POS. Let me know if you are interested in being part of the beta.

Message 125 of 217
Beta Member

When will we have the ability to see what's on order (Purchase Order) when looking at inventory?

Message 126 of 217