x
Admin

Q&A: Ask Us Anything About the Square Online Website Builder!

Update: Due to volume and complexity of the questions, this event was moved to Thursday October 14th so our product team had more time to research and answer your questions. Thanks for your understanding!

Hello everyone! 👋

On October 3rd at 10:30 AM PT/1:30PM ET October 14th at 10:30 AM PT/1:30PM ET, we hosted a Square Online website builder Q&A with @xuanhua@KSA100, and @BradS-PM  of the Square Online Product team! This was a great opportunity to ask questions specifically about the website editor used by Square Online.

AdamB_0-1632866087143.png

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 1 of 207
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Q&A: Ask Us Anything About the Square Online Website Builder!

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your questions and feedback!

We ended up covering quite a lot more than just the website builder, but that’s okay! Everything you’ve shared with us will help us incorporate what you need into future updates to Square Online. If you didn’t get a reply, don’t worry - while there wasn’t time to respond individually to all comments, our product managers did read them and will consider that feedback for future updates.

As we wrap up this event, we wanted to recap a few different themes that came up frequently:

Digital item fulfillment: Though not currently available, this is something we are working on for 2022!

Category and item page customization: You’d like to have more options to add content to category and item pages. Giving you more options to make your item and category pages look how you’d like is important, and something we're working on. Stay tuned for updates in the near future.

Video on item pages: Videos on item pages would add another dynamic way to show off your products. While we don’t yet have this as an option, you might want to consider adding 360º images to provide some more dynamic views of your products.

If you haven’t yet set up an online store through Square Online - it’s super easy! Click on the Online link in your Square Dashboard, then click on Get Started. Square Online will walk you through setting up your online store in minutes.

Square Online will be adding a lot of new features in the coming months, both to the website editor and to many other areas of Square Online. Thank you so much for your participation!

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your questions and feedback!

We ended up covering quite a lot more than just the website builder, but that’s okay! Everything you’ve shared with us will help us incorporate what you need into future updates to Square Online. If you didn’t get a reply, don’t worry - while there wasn’t time to respond individually to all comments, our product managers did read them and will consider that feedback for future updates.

As we wrap up this event, we wanted to recap a few different themes that came up frequently:

Digital item fulfillment: Though not currently available, this is something we are working on for 2022!

Category and item page customization: You’d like to have more options to add content to category and item pages. Giving you more options to make your item and category pages look how you’d like is important, and something we're working on. Stay tuned for updates in the near future.

Video on item pages: Videos on item pages would add another dynamic way to show off your products. While we don’t yet have this as an option, you might want to consider adding 360º images to provide some more dynamic views of your products.

If you haven’t yet set up an online store through Square Online - it’s super easy! Click on the Online link in your Square Dashboard, then click on Get Started. Square Online will walk you through setting up your online store in minutes.

Square Online will be adding a lot of new features in the coming months, both to the website editor and to many other areas of Square Online. Thank you so much for your participation!

Adam

View Best Answer >

Message 202 of 207
206 REPLIES 206
Admin

That’s a super solid suggestion, @Tbauguss. I’ll share that with the Point of Sale team. I would love to see sale prices show up there!

Adam
Message 106 of 207

Thanks. 

Message 107 of 207
Beta Member

• Will there be more customizable options for the website builder for those of us who are more advanced in design but don't have the coding knowledge?
  • Will there be a feature to notify customers of sold out items being back in stock?
Message 108 of 207
Super Seller

Would also like both of these! An 'email me when back in stock' kind of option would be a huge help and we already have customers asking for this feature 

Andrea with Kei Collective - an artist collective with a shop in Phoenix, AZ

We're a Square Super Seller - We're here to help!
Message 109 of 207

And it would be into be able to change the "out of stock" to something else. I have a gallery and a lot of my work is one of a kind. It would be into be able to just have a red dot or a red bullet. or say sold or something else.

Message 110 of 207
Beta Member

Yes! I'd also like to add, it'd be nice to have a "coming soon" or "pre-order" notification also.

Message 111 of 207
Square

Great suggestion! We will consider these and continue to work on design customization options in the editor for the future.

Message 112 of 207
Beta Member

Why is there an option to preview and then publish vs publish, they dont work equally, also, when I create a new story it doesn't add to the stories page correctly

Shawn Nickerson
10 Years of Coffee in Bellevue
cafecesura.com
Message 113 of 207
Square

Hello! I didn’t fully understand what the issue is - would love to see the site and understand how I can help.

Message 114 of 207
Super Seller

Is there a plan for more SEO features to be added to the website editor? 

Things like alt text for product photos would help with SEO as well as accessibility which is a high priority for us. I currently don't see a lot of options to control how our website interacts with screen readers and other accessibility tools. If I'm missing them, just let me know! But as our brand is focused on inclusion, we would really love to see some more features that address this 

Andrea with Kei Collective - an artist collective with a shop in Phoenix, AZ

We're a Square Super Seller - We're here to help!
Message 115 of 207

We need more shipping options on the website. I would like to be able to set up free shipping in my area. If I make that an option it automatically shows that to every customer as an option. It would be great if there was a way to offer free shipping by the address the customer is shipping to. Maybe by specific zip code. Thanks. 

Message 116 of 207
Admin

That’s a really cool suggestion! The product manager for this is currently out of the office, but I’ll make a note to share this with them when they’re back.

Adam
Message 117 of 207
Beta Member

Will there be more customization for the sort and filter sections of the website editor? It's very limiting as far as visuals and the mandatory sidebar cuts the margin sizing down by a lot. It would be nice to have just a filter dropdown a the top or at least be able to collapse the filter options on the sidebar.

Message 118 of 207
Square

Thanks for the feedback @byakki. From the within the editor, you are able to toggle off both the category nav on the left, as well as well the filter options below them. That’s a great suggestion in terms of providing options for filters in a dropdown at the top of the page and it’s something that we can explore.

Message 119 of 207
Beta Member

An option to edit the library of uploaded photos would also be super helpful. Right now it seems like you can only upload and never delete or archive any unused photos.

Message 120 of 207
Square

That's good feedback! We will consider it for future updates.

Message 121 of 207
Super Seller

@KSA100 @BradS-PM @xuanhua 

Thinking of switching to Square Online

I am thinking to switch from Dude/Ecwid to Square Online.

I would like to know if this functionality works:

Can I set my items to check out at $0.00 as most of my items are by weight and I do not know the price until I price the items for delivery?

Then I want to add another page for all the items that I can ship (No need for refrigeration)

Is that an option?

Thanks for your help.

René

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 122 of 207
Admin

That’s super interesting, @GourmetOnWheels. I’m going to share this with the product manager who would handle something like this since it’s not related to the website editor itself. I wonder if in the meantime you could create item options with set weight amounts. This would let you put in appropriate prices for each amount. When I order food from the local grocery store online, this is how they handle deli meat and cheese (usually they do it by half or quarter pound intervals).

Adam
Message 123 of 207
Super Seller

Adam That question was already answered by @Barbara_B 

Ten hours ago I posted two more questions

1) Who can explain to me how to use the exported folders from my web design at my current supplier to set up in the Square Online Store.

2) Where are the Online stores at Square hosted? AWS?

René

Message 124 of 207
Admin

Ahh, that's great! Glad to hear you're getting some information from our Beta team. 

1. This is an export of files from a different web host, right?

2. I'm not sure of what infrastructure we use for hosting. Will it impact your online store in some way, or is it more curiosity in understanding our hosting?

Adam
Message 125 of 207
Super Seller

1) Yes, the following folders I exported: Blog.rss, Pages Folder, Resources folder, Scripts, and last the Style folder.

I exported my web design, not my storefront as I do not need that will use all my items in my point of sale. And it is an Ecwid store, but then I pay you and Ecwid. Thus do not need it.

2) I asked as I was going through the boards and found several complaints about the page speed. My current site is at AWS and is very fast. So I wondered where Square is hosting if AWS this should be very fast and those seeing delays may have another problem

René

Message 126 of 207