x
Admin

Q&A: Ask Us Anything About the Square Online Website Builder!

Update: Due to volume and complexity of the questions, this event was moved to Thursday October 14th so our product team had more time to research and answer your questions. Thanks for your understanding!

Hello everyone! 👋

On October 3rd at 10:30 AM PT/1:30PM ET October 14th at 10:30 AM PT/1:30PM ET, we hosted a Square Online website builder Q&A with @xuanhua@KSA100, and @BradS-PM  of the Square Online Product team! This was a great opportunity to ask questions specifically about the website editor used by Square Online.

AdamB_0-1632866087143.png

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 1 of 207
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Q&A: Ask Us Anything About the Square Online Website Builder!

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your questions and feedback!

We ended up covering quite a lot more than just the website builder, but that’s okay! Everything you’ve shared with us will help us incorporate what you need into future updates to Square Online. If you didn’t get a reply, don’t worry - while there wasn’t time to respond individually to all comments, our product managers did read them and will consider that feedback for future updates.

As we wrap up this event, we wanted to recap a few different themes that came up frequently:

Digital item fulfillment: Though not currently available, this is something we are working on for 2022!

Category and item page customization: You’d like to have more options to add content to category and item pages. Giving you more options to make your item and category pages look how you’d like is important, and something we're working on. Stay tuned for updates in the near future.

Video on item pages: Videos on item pages would add another dynamic way to show off your products. While we don’t yet have this as an option, you might want to consider adding 360º images to provide some more dynamic views of your products.

If you haven’t yet set up an online store through Square Online - it’s super easy! Click on the Online link in your Square Dashboard, then click on Get Started. Square Online will walk you through setting up your online store in minutes.

Square Online will be adding a lot of new features in the coming months, both to the website editor and to many other areas of Square Online. Thank you so much for your participation!

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your questions and feedback!

We ended up covering quite a lot more than just the website builder, but that’s okay! Everything you’ve shared with us will help us incorporate what you need into future updates to Square Online. If you didn’t get a reply, don’t worry - while there wasn’t time to respond individually to all comments, our product managers did read them and will consider that feedback for future updates.

As we wrap up this event, we wanted to recap a few different themes that came up frequently:

Digital item fulfillment: Though not currently available, this is something we are working on for 2022!

Category and item page customization: You’d like to have more options to add content to category and item pages. Giving you more options to make your item and category pages look how you’d like is important, and something we're working on. Stay tuned for updates in the near future.

Video on item pages: Videos on item pages would add another dynamic way to show off your products. While we don’t yet have this as an option, you might want to consider adding 360º images to provide some more dynamic views of your products.

If you haven’t yet set up an online store through Square Online - it’s super easy! Click on the Online link in your Square Dashboard, then click on Get Started. Square Online will walk you through setting up your online store in minutes.

Square Online will be adding a lot of new features in the coming months, both to the website editor and to many other areas of Square Online. Thank you so much for your participation!

Adam

View Best Answer >

Message 202 of 207
206 REPLIES 206
Super Seller

@AdamB I have these folders already exported

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 127 of 207
Super Seller

@AdamB is there anyone at Square or former Weebly employees that can help me with question 1?

1): The following folders I exported: Blog.rss, Pages Folder, Resources folder, Scripts folder, and the Style folder.

I exported my web design, not my storefront as I do not need that. I  will use all my items in my point of sale. And it is an Ecwid store, but then I pay you and Ecwid. Thus do not need it.

And who can answer question 2? 

2: I asked as I was going through the boards and found several complaints about the page speed. My current site is at AWS and is very fast. So I wondered where Square is hosting if AWS this should be very fast and those seeing delays may have another problem (s)

René

Message 128 of 207
Admin

For question one, are you planning to rebuild blog posts using Square Online? You won't need a lot of the export if that's the case. All you need is the text on the posts themselves (I'm guessing this is on different html files in the pages folder), and any image files (possibly in the resources folder if they aren't the pages folder, too). Recreating it will be a lot of copy/pasting text and re-uploading images.

For question two, most Square Online stores I've seen load fast enough that I wouldn't be able to tell if there was any difference between on and something hosted with AWS. The only sites where I may have seen slowness were some where the owner had put a lot of content on a particular page (as in, I had to scroll and scroll and scroll).

Adam
Message 129 of 207
Admin

One more point about page speed: we use something called "lazy loading", which basically allows a page to load right away and then load in images and other content as you scroll. This is pretty commonly used across the internet because it makes a large difference in how quickly a page will render for a visitor.

Adam
Message 130 of 207
Super Seller

@AdamB I am not that concerned about the Blog.rss I am more concerned with the folders that hold my store design: Pages Folder, Resources folder, Scripts folder, and the Style folder.

See the attached screenshots

Message 131 of 207
Super Seller

Screenshot #2

Message 132 of 207
Super Seller

Screenshot # 3

Message 133 of 207
Super Seller

Screenshot #4

Message 134 of 207
Super Seller

Screenshot #5

Message 135 of 207
Super Seller

Screenshot #6 the last one

Here you can see all the contents of my folders. I have no clue how to use them

Regarding website speed, I used the Google PageSpeed Insights.

I tested several Square online shops and they all have a speed of 2-14 my current site runs from 33-55 today

0–49 is RED 50–89 is Yellow 90–100 is Green IE PERFECT

This could have to do with where the hosting is done, as all sites have similar errors that I have too. But my hosting is at AWS and that makes the speed difference.

René

Message 136 of 207
Admin

I'll send you a private message about this since we're moving away from the Q&A.

Adam
Message 137 of 207
Super Seller

I send you a response, thanks so much for all your help were the screenshots (6) any help? Too bad you can only add one file per message in this platform

René

Message 138 of 207

1. I would like for the site header & footer to not alter the original color of the uploaded images, & not be pixelated. My header is fine on desktop, but not the footer. My original image can be seen on the “shipping info, about us” tabs.

2. I would like a widescreen home page banner option with even more vertical resolution.

3. I would like to see a radius distance limited delivery option in the shop checkout, for local orders. Currently, I have this setup in the shipping list as “Delivery (Dayton only).

4. It would be nice to be able to upload a table (pages, excel) and view it large, without having to place text to instruct viewers to “right-click, open in new tab”.

Japanese domestic market, automotive air fresheners.
https://midwestaromas.square.site/
https://www.instagram.com/midwestaromas
Message 139 of 207
Square

1 - Thanks for raising this to me. Looks like an issue on our end and we will look into it. 

2 & 4 - That's good feedback. We will consider it for future releases.

Message 140 of 207
Admin

Hi @midwest-aromas! Since this Q&A is specific to the website editor, I’ll share your delivery radius question with the team that handles that.

Adam
Message 141 of 207

Can I request that we get more functionality of the header section?  I would like to be able to add text like in the footer.

Message 142 of 207
Square

That's good feedback - thanks! Can you share what type of text you want to have on the header?

Message 143 of 207
Admin

Update, everyone! Due to the number and complexity of questions and other factors, we're moving this to Thursday, October 14th at 10:30 AM PT/1:30PM ET. Thanks for your understanding!

Adam
Message 144 of 207

When will the syncing issue be resolved ? Friday it was stated 24 hours, then all weekend same answer. Now its Tuesday I am still having issues and Im told " it was a syncing error from last night " no it wasnt. It was Days ago. 

Message 145 of 207
Admin

Have you been in touch with our support team about that, @Herefortheparty? Usually delays are short and resolve on their own, but if you’re having trouble our support team should escalate the issue for you.

Adam
Message 146 of 207
Beta Member

Can we add video to item pages?

Message 147 of 207