x
Admin

Square Banking Q&A: Ask us anything about transfers!

On November 4th, we were delighted to have @aiqiliu with the Square Banking team join us for a Q&A focused on sellers who are new to Square Banking — specifically to address questions related to account setup, transfers, and cashflow. 

Aiqi Liu has been with Square for 3.5 years and she is the Product Manager for Transfers. Before that she was a Software Engineer at Square building the Square Debit Card and Web Payments SDK products.Aiqi Liu has been with Square for 3.5 years and she is the Product Manager for Transfers. Before that she was a Software Engineer at Square building the Square Debit Card and Web Payments SDK products.

Aiqi responded to your questions about receiving funds from processing, managing linked bank accounts, and transferring funds in and out of Square.

A few example questions:

• What are the benefits of banking with Square vs. sticking with my current bank account when it comes to accessing, moving, and spending my money?
  • I need a transfer option that does "______" — what is your best suggestion?
  • What are the differences between transfer schedules?
  • How do I know which payments were included in my last transfer?

Square Inc. is not a bank. Banking services are provided by Sutton Bank or Square Financial Services, Inc.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 61
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to participate in this Q&A and share your questions and feedback!

We hope your questions are answered - the experiences you've shared will help us as we continue to iterate.

As we close out this event, we wanted to do a recap on three themes that came up:

1. You’d like to see more flexibility in paying or sending money to vendors and other bank accounts 

We only support linking your Square balance or Square Checking account to one external bank account today. We are actively looking into bill pay solutions that allow you to pay vendors from your Square Checking account and support adding multiple external bank accounts on file.   

In the meantime, if your vendor has an online portal for receiving payments, you can pay them using the Square Debit Card or set up an ACH transfer by providing your Square Checking accounts’ account & routing number.  

2. It’s important to reconcile sales and transfer amounts

To match your sales with the transfer amount and understand the breakdown, you can look at the Transfer Activity details from the Square Dashboard or mobile app following these steps.  

Note that if you are on the Manual Transfer schedule, we aren’t able to provide a detailed reporting that contains all the breakdown because you may transfer a partial amount and we won’t be able to tell which payments, fees, or refunds are included in this transfer amount. I would recommend that you check out the Sales Summary report (located at Reports -> Sales Summary) to see the breakdown of your total sales and Square’s fees.  

3. You’d like to see more ways to deposit money into Square Checking 

You can add money into your Square Checking today by:

You can also send an ACH transfer or set up direct deposit from an external bank account to your Square Checking account by using your Square Checking accounts’ account & routing number

We are exploring other ways for you to add money into Square Checking so that you can track everything in one place. Stay tuned!

Again, thanks for your participation. For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates.

Square, Inc. is a financial services company, not a bank. Square Checking is provided by Sutton Bank, Member FDIC.

View Best Answer >

Message 57 of 61
60 REPLIES 60
Super Seller

The main thing missing for us currently from Square Banking is the ability to send money to our vendors. Is there any plan to add something like this to the Square platform?

More details: We operate on a consignment basis and sell on behalf of over 80 different independent artists. Since we do consignment instead of wholesale, we pay our artists for their items AFTER the item sells (end of month payouts for any items that sell within the month). We currently use PayPal to send the artists their earnings, but would love for this to be handled within Square as well! 

Andrea with Kei Collective - an artist collective with a shop in Phoenix, AZ

We're a Square Super Seller - We're here to help!
Message 2 of 61
Super Seller Alumni

I second that motion 🙂  We also have vendors/consignment that we'd love to be able to use Square Banking for.  Currently we use Melio, but it's one more place to have to keep track of everything.

Emily ( she / her )
The Violet Fox Bookshop
https://thevioletfoxbookshop.square.site
Message 3 of 61
Square

Hi @keicollective and @Thevioletfox, thanks for using Square Banking and letting us know about your needs for sending money to vendors. We often hear from sellers that it’s easier to keep track of everything in one place. The team is working on this feature and stay tuned!

Message 4 of 61

Id like to know, the best way To set up direct deposit. For my staff.And the best way to go about makin smoove payments. On time, all the time. 

Message 5 of 61
Square

Hi @CAPGROUPceo, you can open a Square Checking account and connect that with any payroll provider you like. Keep in mind that most payroll providers take two to four business days to send money to your staff, so it’ll take some planning if you want them to receive their money on a Friday.

One nice thing about using Square Payroll is that you can pay your employees instantly -- no more waiting or planning ahead. Once you have Square Payroll set up, your staff can link their own bank account for receiving direct deposits or get paid instantly via Cash App. You can also set up automatic payroll so it’s always on time. 

You can learn more about how to set up Square Payroll here.

Message 6 of 61
Beta Member

What impacts would our Square banking accounts have with receiving an invitation for Square Loans?

Message 7 of 61
Square

Today, Square sellers become eligible for Square Loans depending on their payment processing. But we’re thinking about more ways to smooth cash flow, and we’re also thinking about how we could better show appreciation for loyal customers.

Starting next year, we’ll be looking at Square Checking activity to evaluate loan offers. Stay tuned for more details.

Message 8 of 61
Beta Member

I have a Quikbooks Online that is not currently synced to my Square account, I would like to send the payments collected from Quikbooks directly depoited into my Square account.  Would entering my Square Checking account information onto Quikbooks for payments to be direct deposited to the account work?

Message 9 of 61
Square

Hi @cmeshine, yes Square Checking supports receiving direct deposits from external accounts. You can provide your Square Checking account & routing number with Quickbooks Online or other accounts and set up direct deposits. 

To find your Square Checking account’s account and routing number, go to Balance -> Transfer settings -> View account & routing number. You can learn more about finding your Square Checking account & routing number here.

Message 10 of 61

I would like to know if there are any plans in the future for sending ACH payments  from the Square Checking account. I'd like to have the option to direct deposit to another bank for non payroll transactions.

Message 11 of 61
Square

This is definitely on our radar. Currently we only allow one bank account linked at a time but we are looking to support multiple linked external bank accounts in future. I would love to learn more about your use case for sending ACH payments to another bank account. Can you tell me more please?

Message 12 of 61

how do I use it

Message 13 of 61
Square

Hi @cateifer, I’m assuming you are asking about how to receive your payment processing sales with Square? You can sign up for a Square Checking account and access your funds instantly for free. Or you can link an external bank account in the Bank Accounts settings to receive your sales on the next business day for free or use our paid Instant Transfers feature to get paid instantly. You can learn more about the transfer options that Square provides here.   

Let me know if you have other questions!

Message 14 of 61

Hello . I had a customer use cash app for payment . And on their end it says waiting for me to accept payment. But on my end it’s not showing up anywhere for me to accept. It doesn’t even show a transaction. 

Message 15 of 61
Square

Hi @Cedesrain, Cash App requires you to accept the payment in the app if you have no transaction history with the sender on Cash App. Perhaps your customer accidentally sent this payment to a wrong account? 

Otherwise, you should be able to see this pending payment on your Cash App Activity tab and accept it - try opening your Cash App and tap on the clock icon on the top. Hope this helps!

If you’re still stuck, check out this article for some more tips on accepting Cash App payments.

Message 16 of 61

Hi, what is the best way to resolve a transfer showing from Square's website that never made it into my bank account?

Message 17 of 61
Square

Hi @jstcesq, I’m sorry to hear that you weren’t able to receive a transfer to your bank account. Let’s try the following steps to figure out why. 

1. Log in to your Square Dashboard or mobile app
  2. Visit Balance -> Transfer Activity 
  3. Click on the missing transfer for more details
  4. Confirm the bank account this transfer was sent to
  5. Check if it shows up as success or failure 

If it shows up as failure, it means Square received an error from the network and we should have credited the amount to your Square balance. If you are on the Automatic Transfers schedule, we should have automatically retried this on the next day. If you are on the Manual Transfer schedule, you can manually initiate a new transfer.

If it shows up as success, it means Square was able to send the transfer to your linked bank but your bank may have misrouted this transfer. In this case, you should see a hyperlink on the transfer details page that says “View details”. Click on that hyperlink and you will see this transfer’s trace ID. Please contact the bank you linked to and provide the missing transfer’s trace ID so that they can help you locate this transfer. You can read more about locating a missing transfer here

Message 18 of 61

I need to speak to a live read on the phone

Message 19 of 61
Square

Hi @Eom26llc, Square has a great team of Customer Success advocates that you can speak to on the phone. To contact Square Customer Success, please following these steps:

1. Sign in and visit squareup.com/help.
  2. Click Resources > Contact and ask to speak to a representative.

Hope this helps!

Message 20 of 61

Hi. I have a very simplistic question (I’m new!!)

I decided I would be charging my customers the 2.6% fee for a credit card transaction and then I would take ‘the hit’ of the $.10 per transaction. I set this up accordingly on the app (easy to do- thank you!). 
However, today, for example, I had a $25 sale. They were according charged $.65 additional in the sale. I expected an additional $.10 to be deducted (as mentioned) But my total fee for using square for the transaction was $.77 and not the $.75 as I expected. (So a $.02 difference). This also occurred on a slightly less sale of $20 (where it seems there is a $.01 difference)

I’m having a wing-dinger of a time trying to balance my books. Can someone please tell me how square is getting the $.77?

Much thanks!

Message 21 of 61