x
Admin

Square Reporting Q&A: Get answers and influence product decisions!

Happy New Year, Seller Community!

Effective and reliable reporting is crucial for the smooth operation of any business, and we recognize that there is always room for improvement with the reporting tools offered by Square.

This event was an opportunity to speak directly with @annakepler on the Square Reporting team, and contribute to how developments are prioritized throughout 2023.

On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 we hosted a Q&A to address questions and make sure your experiences are documented with the Reporting team's plans for the year ahead.

Not sure what to ask? Here are some example questions: 

• What is the best way to keep an eye on sales trends for my items?
  • If I could do "_________" with reporting in the online Square Dashboard, that would save me so much time.
  • How can I manage sales reports across multiple business locations?

dashboard-reporting.png

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 155
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thank you to everyone who participated in our Reporting Q&A! We got an overwhelming number of questions and suggestions that we will be iterating on as we continue to improve your reporting experience! We answered as many questions as we can and will continue to get to the rest of them on an ongoing basis. 

To wrap up, here’s a summary of a few themes I saw in the questions:

Improved general reporting functionality

• Many of you have brought up the need to generate comprehensive monthly and yearly statements, as well as the ability to generate statements for your customer or vendors.
  • Flexible time ranges and comparisons against specific dates and times of the week, and further ability to define your custom business week and fiscal year boundaries. 
  • Improved export functionality by fixing existing issues, adding new export formats like Excel and PDF, and the ability to customize and streamline the data export. 

These are important features and are high on the priority of our core reporting team. 

Additional features for both Inventory and Appointment reporting 

Our teams are working on various new reports and enhancements to existing reports in this product area. The valuable feedback we received during this event tremendously helps our teams to prioritize the work and focus on your needs.
In the meantime, I would like to share that if you have a Retail Plus subscription, you get access to Item Sales by Category through the Cost of Goods Sold report. You can find this report in Dashboard by navigating to the Reports section > Inventory Reports > Cost of Goods Sold. In this report, you can filter items using the Category filter at the top to view your top-performing items based on Quantity Sold, Total Revenue, Profit, etc. 

Square reporting integrations

We have received lots of feedback regarding Quickbooks integrations and what we must improve there to support your needs. Enhancements to Amaka and Google integrations, as well as more integrations in general would be a great value add. 

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and we'll continue to improve Square’s reporting functions based on your business needs.   

We wish you all success and we’ll keep answering your questions here in the Community!

For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates.

Anna Kepler
Product Manager, Payments Reporting and Analytics, Square

View Best Answer >

Message 154 of 155
154 REPLIES 154
Super Seller

It would be really great if there was a report that showed the 7 days of the week and under each day had rows that represented in dollars highest revenue, lowest revenue, and average revenue for a given period such as a year or a quarter or a month for each of those days.

~Cheryl!
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!

Cheryl! Tisland
Burst Of Butterflies Create & Paint Studio

BurstOfButterflies.com
Message 148 of 155
Super Seller

We currently auto export sales that autogenerates this report... (numbers covered in blue for privacy)

DayTotalsCovered.jpg

~Cheryl!
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!

Cheryl! Tisland
Burst Of Butterflies Create & Paint Studio

BurstOfButterflies.com
Message 149 of 155
Admin

Hello everyone!

The time for receiving new questions has closed for this event. Thank you to everyone who asked questions and shared their experiences — we received a lot of helpful feedback!

The Square Reporting team will continue to address your posts as they are able. Due to the high volume of interest across all of our forums, it may take a few days to follow up on remaining inquires. We appreciate your patience and please keep watch for updates throughout the end of the week and early next week. 🙏🏻

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 150 of 155
Beta Member

When reporting income I have two locations.  Will square report each location separately or will they combine them into one location?  
   When I pulled my reports it appeared that they may be combined but haven’t had a deep dive to ensure.  
   How are invoices reported?  I don’t see anyway to determine the type of sale if it is invoiced, online, or at a terminal.

Is there a report that we can pull for type of transaction payment?   Because we are a very small business we opted not to get a larger subscription that would allow us to transfer our inventory from one location to the other location. In order to keep the inventory straight I have to invoice it from one location to remove it from inventory as our online sales are tied to that inventory.   Then I have to go online and enter the items into the second location through manage stock.  We use the invoice for the second location to track the inventory since it is under commission.  When items are sold, we create an invoice from that location to reflect the payment.  

Message 151 of 155

When I get my money 

Message 152 of 155
Super Seller

When you take it from the bank.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 153 of 155
Square

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thank you to everyone who participated in our Reporting Q&A! We got an overwhelming number of questions and suggestions that we will be iterating on as we continue to improve your reporting experience! We answered as many questions as we can and will continue to get to the rest of them on an ongoing basis. 

To wrap up, here’s a summary of a few themes I saw in the questions:

Improved general reporting functionality

• Many of you have brought up the need to generate comprehensive monthly and yearly statements, as well as the ability to generate statements for your customer or vendors.
  • Flexible time ranges and comparisons against specific dates and times of the week, and further ability to define your custom business week and fiscal year boundaries. 
  • Improved export functionality by fixing existing issues, adding new export formats like Excel and PDF, and the ability to customize and streamline the data export. 

These are important features and are high on the priority of our core reporting team. 

Additional features for both Inventory and Appointment reporting 

Our teams are working on various new reports and enhancements to existing reports in this product area. The valuable feedback we received during this event tremendously helps our teams to prioritize the work and focus on your needs.
In the meantime, I would like to share that if you have a Retail Plus subscription, you get access to Item Sales by Category through the Cost of Goods Sold report. You can find this report in Dashboard by navigating to the Reports section > Inventory Reports > Cost of Goods Sold. In this report, you can filter items using the Category filter at the top to view your top-performing items based on Quantity Sold, Total Revenue, Profit, etc. 

Square reporting integrations

We have received lots of feedback regarding Quickbooks integrations and what we must improve there to support your needs. Enhancements to Amaka and Google integrations, as well as more integrations in general would be a great value add. 

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and we'll continue to improve Square’s reporting functions based on your business needs.   

We wish you all success and we’ll keep answering your questions here in the Community!

For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates.

Anna Kepler
Product Manager, Payments Reporting and Analytics, Square
Message 154 of 155

Thanks for taking the time to answer most of the questions on here. Conspicuously absent, however, is a reply to the question asked by both me and someone else regarding the problem of incorrect reporting i.e. Square reporting business income as "personal" income and how this can be avoided. I know you said you would be getting to the rest of the questions, but I've been waiting two weeks already and I cannot wait indefinitely. This is not just a problem for businesses using Square, but for Square itself (I mentioned the costly problems resulting from incorrect reporting). Perhaps you could integrate something in your reporting process that indicates both what type of business it is, and which state it is registered with. That way, Square would be doing its due diligence and the taxation agencies would not get their wires crossed.

This is by far the most serious issue on this entire thread, and even though it was brought up towards the end of the thread, it still needs to be addressed. Feel free to contact me off of the thread if need be. Thank you!

Message 155 of 155