x

How do I get a broken Reader replaced in a couple days?

Hi there.  I have a charity event this friday and I went to install my new chip reading square and it says the reader is permanently broken.  How do I replace this in a hurry?  My charity event is 3 days!  Please help!!!

Message 1 of 24
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @VC, great question.

It depends on which reader you choose for your business:

• Magstripe Reader — $10.00 (Reimbursable for new sellers who haven't ordered a magstripe reader before.) 

• Chip Card Reader — $29.00

• Contactless and Chip Card Reader — $49.00

Find complete details on each reader's features in our Support Center. Hope this Helps!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Square Community Moderator

Oh no! I'm sorry this happened to you. We can definitely replace the reader for you free of charge if you file a Warranty claim, however, it can take about 5 business days for it to reach you. 

Your best option would be to stop by a local retail store like Staples and pick one up there. 

Message 2 of 24

If you have to go to a retail store such as stapes or Rite Aid, do you purchase the reader and if so how much?

Message 3 of 24
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @VC, great question.

It depends on which reader you choose for your business:

• Magstripe Reader — $10.00 (Reimbursable for new sellers who haven't ordered a magstripe reader before.) 

• Chip Card Reader — $29.00

• Contactless and Chip Card Reader — $49.00

Find complete details on each reader's features in our Support Center. Hope this Helps!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 4 of 24

If I purchase a chip reader will this work on an android phone? 

Message 5 of 24
Super Seller Alumni

As long as your Android phone is Square-compatible, yes the chip reader will function with it.

Judy T Shumway
Message 6 of 24

We have to pay for it?

Message 7 of 24

Hi @delandrr - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

Great Question.

You will not need to pay for a new reader if your current reader is still under warranty.

Check your warranty eligibility here

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 24

I re-ordered squarereaderpluschipcards about 2 weeks ago...have not received it yet.  I need it!!  Help.,

Message 9 of 24
Alumni

Sorry to hear your order hasn't arrived yet! The steps to track it can be found at Why Hasn't my Square Hardware Arrived?. If you're still having issues locating it, feel free to reach out to our CS team at and they can help you investigate further.

If you need a reader right away, you can purchase the Magstripe at participating retail stores. It's $10, but we'll reimburse you (follow the steps on the packaging). To find the nearest retailer, check out this map. We recommend calling ahead as our map doesn't account for updated inventory levels.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 10 of 24
Super Seller

If you pick up one I highly recomend the Contacless chip card reader over the plug in chip reader.  for some reason the plug in chip reader has a much higher failure rate (3 times straight out of the box for me). We have Contactlesss ones going strong since they came out and they hold their charge for multiple days and even weeks depending on how many times you use it.

Message 11 of 24

I DO NOT GET HOW THE NEW SQUARE DEVICE WORKS?  DO YOU JUST HOLD IT NEAR YOUR I PHONE?

Message 12 of 24
Alumni

If you are referring to the Contactless + Chip Reader, you can find the guide to successfully set it up at Accept Payments with the Contactless + Chip Reader.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 13 of 24

[This post was merged from original thread titled: "I need a new Square reader as mine was broken".]

need new square mine was broken

Message 14 of 24
Admin

Welcome to the Seller Community and sorry to hear about your reader, @tomballelitepro. It looks like another person asked about this in: How do I get a broken Reader replaced in a couple days?—have a look at my reply and let us know if that helps.🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Message 15 of 24

My square reader broke today. I need a new one immediately

Message 16 of 24
Super Seller Alumni

You can buy one from your local big-box store (Best Buy, etc) and it will work right out of the box.

Judy T Shumway
Message 17 of 24

Lost my square reader when we moved to a new home

Message 18 of 24

Lost my reader when we moved to a new home

Message 19 of 24

Hi there, @Dnobles 👋 New hardware can be purchased directly from our Online Shop.

Let us know if anything else comes up!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 20 of 24

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Broken card reader

Need a new card reader that stays connected to my current account?  How do I order one

Message 21 of 24