x

Point of Sale: Why does receipt option page dropdown show my personal email accounts?

fix for my personal email accounts appearing as drop downs on receipt option page?

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Wanted to circle back to this thread with some more insight. After looking into this further—if you've enabled Google Autofill on your Android device, it may try to suggest your email address on the receipt screen in the Point of Sale app as well.

If you'd like to prevent this from happening on your mobile device, you can disable Google Autofill in Chrome:

1. Go to: Settings > System > Language & Input > Autofill Service.
  2. Select "none" and this will turn off the default autofill setting.

For iPhone devices:

1.  Go to Settings > Safari > Autofill.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion. If anything else comes up, please don't hesitate to let us know!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

Hey @chipinchip, welcome to the seller community and thanks for surfacing.

Are you referring to the domain name buttons (e.g. "@gmail.com") on the receipt screen after checkout? Those options are there to help speed up the checkout process and do not include personal information. Hope this helps clear things up—if I'm missing the mark or you have any concerns, please reply with a bit more information where you're seeing these emails. We'll be happy to take another look. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Message 2 of 10

No...I wish I could attach my screenshot so you could see.  It is as I explained.  My full personal email accounts show as dropdowns below the empty email field box as options to select.  Almost like there's an auto-fill switch that needs to be turned off.

Message 3 of 10
Admin

Thanks for circling back and sorry for the confusion. To be sure we're on the same page, are you referring to the screen posted in this thread (see Helen's post): How does Square store customer email addresses?

If that doesn't clear things up, please get in touch with our Customer Success team or send me a private message with what you're seeing. We can escalate for further review from there.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 4 of 10

yes...that is the correct screen.

the drop down with my personal email adresses apprear just below the email reciept box, and block the "No Thanks" option

Message 5 of 10
Admin

Got it. Thanks for sending over your screen shot as well. I'm going to tun this by our Point of Sale team and we'll be back with more insight shortly.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 6 of 10
Admin

Best Answer

Wanted to circle back to this thread with some more insight. After looking into this further—if you've enabled Google Autofill on your Android device, it may try to suggest your email address on the receipt screen in the Point of Sale app as well.

If you'd like to prevent this from happening on your mobile device, you can disable Google Autofill in Chrome:

1. Go to: Settings > System > Language & Input > Autofill Service.
  2. Select "none" and this will turn off the default autofill setting.

For iPhone devices:

1.  Go to Settings > Safari > Autofill.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion. If anything else comes up, please don't hesitate to let us know!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 7 of 10

While this would certainly fix the issue, it would also disable this feature everywhere else - including places where I'd want it. It's a great feature for whem I'm the one using my phone, but I typically hand my phone over to customers to input their email address. As such, I don't think asking users to turn off a useful feature is the right solution.

From an app development standpoint, there may be a way to disable this feature in the app itself. This documentation from the Android Developer site may be relevant:

https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/text/autofill-optimize

Message 8 of 10
Admin

I hear you @littlepinecone. I went ahead and shared your post with our engineering team and this is something they are working on! I can't provide a timeline but as soon we have more details about the fix we'll post in this thread to let you know.

Thank you very much for joining the Seller Community! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 9 of 10

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Why is my E-mail automatically set for receipts to go to" The author has been notified via email.

When it's time to for a client to chose if they want a receipt my E-mail address automatically shows up, then as soon as I'm done it goes to the calculator.

Message 10 of 10