x

"Free item" marketing coupon applying to every qualifying item in cart

Sorry, this is a long one:

I'm trying to set up a coupon code so that members are emailed a unique, autogenerated code they can use to get one free item. So in the coupon parameters, I'm saying (for instance) chocolate shakes and strawberry shakes are both redeemable as the free item.

Here's the problem:

Essentially, if the two items are different in any way - even just with modifiers - then all qualifying items in the cart are free.

For instance:

• The coupon code reads "Get a free shake with your next purchase!"

• Both a chocolate and a strawberry shake could qualify as the free item

• Customer wants to buy a chocolate shake, and get the strawberry shake for free

• Customer adds both to cart

• Both items are free, cart total is $0.00

Unfortunately, this even applies when they are different items, different variations, or even different modifiers.

If the customer just gets two identical chocolate shakes, then one of them is free and the other one must be paid for (which is how it should work). But if the customer adds two chocolate shakes to the cart and one of them has the modifier "no cherry", then both chocolate shakes are free. That seems like an oversight to me, as I'm having a hard time imagining a circumstance in which a business owner would want that.

Ideally, the coupon code should just apply to a single item in the cart, and I'd like there to be a choice for which item is free. Currently, if multiple items are allowed and all of those items are added to the cart, the cart total is $0.00.

There are two workarounds:

1. Making only a chocolate shake free, with no strawberry option

2. Setting it up as a "category" coupon, which is only redeemable in-person.

Both of these are less than ideal and wouldn't work for my situation. Any help or insight would be very appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hello, @blowfishmo! Welcome back to the Seller Community 👋

At this time, Square Online cannot offer coupons for BOGO (Buy One Get One). The product team is working hard to make this a possibility. You can learn more about Creating Online Discounts with Coupons for Square Online here.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

Hi JJ,

Thanks for your response - and I hate to say it but that's not actually the problem. I'm not trying to do BOGO. I want a customer to just be able to go into the shop and redeem a single free item with a marketing coupon. No purchase necessary.

I don't want the customer to be able to get multiple free items. And multiple free items is unfortunately what is happening when the customer adds any variation or modifier to the item that the coupon makes free. Sorry if that's confusing - I can try to upload a screenshare video to demonstrate the problem if that's helpful.

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

My apologies for the misunderstanding @blowfishmo

I would definitely appreciate the video. I do understand what you're saying but I am failing to replicate it on my end to determine what is causing this. 

I also want to make sure you were aware (seems like you are but again, just making sure) that coupons are only redeemable online, and they are handled via discounted dollar amount, % amount, and applicable to All Orders, Specific Items, or Specific categories.

I will keep an eye out for your reply make sure to @ me so I don't miss the notification.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4