x

Adding microdata tags for catalogues

At www.muntons.net they're trying to connect/sync their Square account and products to their FB page - failing at the moment but that's on another thread.

As part of this, they want to add microdata tags to product pages. I can't see how this can be done in Square unless it's part of the connecting to FB process that we can't get to work at the moment? 

This is what I mean by microdata tags - https://www.prod.facebook.com/business/help/1175004275966513?id=725943027795860 

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

Message 1 of 20
Report Inappropriate Content
19 REPLIES 19

I can't find a way to manually add the relevant OpenGraph tags, and so I don't think Facebook integration via Pixel is ever going to work until Square make some changes.

All Square have to do is add the OG tags into the header of each item page, such as <meta property="og:id" content="ItemID"> and <meta property="og:price" content'ItemPrice"> โ€” it's not rocket science, and it's something that should be included in every item page by default (regardless of Facebook integration status).

To not have a full set of OpenGraph tags in a modern online store page is pretty much unforgivable. No idea what Square's developers think they're doing.

Message 2 of 20

Yeah, that seems crazy! Grrrhhh!

Message 3 of 20
Alumni

Hi @MattMM + @Fingermouse - thank you for bringing this up! 

Jumping in while @Tra is out to confirm that the ability to manually edit this information is not yet available. @Tra will work to provide an update here in this thread as soon as we have news to share, so please stay subscribed to this thread to be notified.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 20
Beta Member

I managed to integrate my Square catalogue using Facebook Pixel a year ago, it worked for 9 months or so then for no reason stopped and refused to update either my Facebook or Instagram Store.  Nothing I do now will make it work, all I get is a warning that the Pixel is not yet ready to connect.  Facebook are no help at all and there is no way to make direct contact with Square support..

Between Facebook and Square, it's a shambles.  Very frustrating, especially as the integration and catalogue updating worked well in the past.

Message 5 of 20

Yes, I had the same issue - my pixel was working fine for months, keeping my catalogue updated but for some reason recently the pixel is not picking up tags, such as price, and so not updating my catalogue at Facebook, and therefore Instagram. Square - please - can you let us know what's happening on this matter?

Message 6 of 20
Admin

Sorry to hear you're running into this @qlinqjewellery! There are a couple of things we can check:

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 7 of 20

If someone from square could clearly answer the question

"how do I add microdata tags to product pages so that it syncs with Facebook shop"

that would be wonderful.

What is is with Squares continual non-answer answers. Why in the world would they even have the option to connect your Facebook business page, if it doesn't do anything?

So incredibly frustrating. I have spent way too much time on this.

Message 8 of 20
Admin

Hi @SoilSunshine, thank you for writing in and I can appreciate your frustration.

At the moment, there isn't a way to manually add or edit microdata tags. Information are managed and pulled automatically between Square and Facebook when you connect your Square Online site to Facebook and Instagram account. 

This article is a good place to start as it outlined the process of how to connect your site to Facebook. If you have gone through the steps but are experiencing an issue, it's worth trying the troubleshooting steps I've outlined above (making sure domains have been verified, trying disconnecting and reconnecting again, troubleshoot pixel, etc.)

If you're seeing a specific error message, can you let me know? 

Tra
Message 9 of 20

I have disconnected and reconnected my FB account half a dozen times now trying to get my catalog updated on FB. I have verified the URL and the pixel is firing but FB continually says the metadata isn't there for the products. There's obviously something missing in a recent Square update that has messed up how FB connects to it. My catalog updated fine up until April 2021 and I haven't been able to update it since. Why hasn't Square investigated this issue more...it's obviously a broader issue that many are experiencing.

Message 10 of 20
Admin

Sorry to hear you're running into this @TheGOoDSweets. If you have tried all the troubleshooting steps outlined above and the pixel troubleshooting, can you let me know if there's a specific error message that you can see when checking the pixels under Catalog > Data Source in your Facebook Commerce Manager? 

Tra
Message 11 of 20
Beta Member

@tranguyen 

My updates have also stopped.

Under Catalog>Data Source no pixel is mentioned source is

SquareCatalogSyncDirectUploadXMLFeed

No error messages

But set to manual upload

The issue would seem to be under scheduled updates as Facebook is asking for a url , username and pasword which are all blank. This appears to be the location for an update file.

Message 12 of 20
Admin

Thanks for letting me know @SGM1! There's one more thing I'd like to check. Under the SquareCatalogSyncDirectUploadXMLFeed, do you see a Feed ID by any chance? And if there is a Feed ID, does the number there match with the Pixel ID currently install on your site? You can also use the Facebook Pixel Helper to check your Pixel ID and see if the Pixel ID appear anywhere within the Commerce Manager. 

Tra
Message 13 of 20
Beta Member

@tranguyen 

The feedid does not match the pixel id

pixel id appears under events

I have also found an error message on square

under online > Sales Channels > Facebook Shops

A problem occurred syncing your catalog. Go to Facebookโ€™s advanced options and update your token.

I cannot find any reference to a token and the link seems to want me to go back to reconnecting the pixel from scratch which goes back to the original issue that square connected the pixel to my personal account so it is grayed out on the process and cannot be selected!

Message 14 of 20
Admin

I had a look on my end regarding the error message A problem occurred syncing your catalog. Go to Facebookโ€™s advanced options and update your token and it looks like the common troubleshooting step recommend for this is to disconnect and then reconnect again from Online > Sales Channel > Facebook Shop. This usually help resolve this issue but if after the reconnecting the issue still continues, please let me know and I can help escalate this further. 

Tra
Message 15 of 20
Beta Member

@tranguyenHaving disconected the pixel this drops me right back into the issue detailed in the other long running thread regarding Facebook Pixels as the correct one is not accessible as it linkled to my personal account and not the business one. This cannot be changed so I cannot complete the process that square initiates on Facebook!

Message 16 of 20
Admin

I've sent over a DM to get some additional information @SGM1. Once I have the information, I'll be able to escalate the issue further and see if there are any additional troubleshooting steps we can try. 

Tra
Message 17 of 20
Beta Member

Months of trying to resolve this with Facebook and Square and still no joy.

My catalogue has not updated since 27th September!!!

Once square attached the first pixel nothing seems to undo this regardless of what square advises!

You can change the pixel number but the microdata tags do not work so don't wast your time trying.

Message 18 of 20

any update since, Facebook is a mess. they made me make a business manger account, ad account, business account and what not and it took forever to figure out how to link my pixel to my catalogue but now the micro data issue is coming up. And when I try to link meta on the square end, my Facebook and instagram shop don't show up like you mentioned they are assets under my personal Facebook but somehow my business accounts manage the back ends. 

Message 19 of 20
Admin

Hi @ScorpioGardens - thanks for your post. 

I believe you would need to have a Facebook Business to set this up - if you're having trouble with the account you can follow Meta's steps here.

From there, the steps to connect are available in our support centre. 

Let me know if this works for you! 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question โœจ
Message 20 of 20