x

CUSTOM CSS

Is there any way to add custom css to the online store?

If there isn't, then there needs to be.

For example, the inbuilt formatting options for text, headings etc are too limiting.

I tried to javascript write a link to a custom stylesheet via the Integrations section, but it didn't work to override the inbuilt styles.

Ideally would be great if is was possible to add internal styles (e.g. <style>style declarations here</style>) to the HEAD or BODY via Integrations.

Message 1 of 35
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

I finally found a way!

It's a bit of a workaround but seems to work perfectly.  Here's a tutorial with a code snippet and a step-by-step video. 

I'm still hoping to see an actual custom CSS -feature soon. Preferrably using a CSS preprocessor like LESS (like Squarespace has). 

View Best Answer >

Message 19 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Alumni

Hey @johnno - thanks for posting!

You're right in saying that at the moment, the site editor doesn't allow folks to insert custom CSS - however, we're always looking at ways in which we can bring new features and capability to the site editor. 

Message 2 of 35
Beta Member

What's the use of your reply then?

This has been requested multiple times in the past, with no action. Either you're working on it, and you have an estimated roll-out. Or ... it's not being worked on. Don't pretend you're listening to user input if you don't.

Message 3 of 35

Well if that is the case then I'm off to WIX.

Message 4 of 35
Beta Member

Apparently there USED to be the feature of editing CSS ... but when they went drag n drop (fancy), the development "team" (which seems more and more like a solo teenager in a basement based on the attention to detail/quality) decided it wasn't a feature that would be a) useful or b) necessary ... go figure eh.

Message 5 of 35

I'm confused........
It seems to me the Square Online Store is a cut down version of Squarespace?

What I really want is an integrated online/offline (point of sale POS) system.

Squarespace and Square POS are linked, but only if selling in the USA (I'm in Australia).

Square Online Store is linked to Square POS for Australians, but unfortunately the online store part is a POS (piece of ****)  🙂 🙂

I can't win  😞

Message 6 of 35
Beta Member

Yeah ... we've been really happy with Square. It's mostly when they bought out the Weebly crew that things have gone downhill. The lack of true integration across these apparently 'integrated' products is insane.

as noted in other posts on here — it doesn't seem like anywhere outside the US is really considered valuable by Square/Weebly ... despite their recent push to get market share here.

Message 7 of 35

Just checking back here.

Has CUSTOM CSS capability been added to the site editor yet?

Message 8 of 35
Admin

@johnno I've not heard of any updates here unfortunately.

Our eCommerce team has been working on building and releasing a fair amount of new functionality into Square Online, however I'm not sure where custom CSS sits in the grand scheme of things here.

It's not a feature that sees a great deal of demand overall, however I do understand it's an important feature for sellers looking at being able to customise their websites to a greater degree. Sorry I don't have any news to share on this one, I will update this thread if I do hear more.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 35

Seamus,

I too need custom CSS functionality. It's not hard to add to any editing framwork it actuality. Even if a basic text box that is for "global" CSS overrides or style. I really cannot take the platform seriously without this as there are many things limited and others that are not the greatest from a UI standpoint. Let those who code have the ability to do so. Otherwise, its a "doing business with Square" limiter.

Thanks

Message 10 of 35
Admin

Hey @mwbt21,

Thanks for adding your feedback to this request, I'll pass your comments on to our eCommerce team.

With that said, Square Online is designed to be a simple, easy and accessible template based web builder - so from a product development standpoint I'm not sure if custom CSS is something you'll see in the future, however I will share your feedback!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 11 of 35
Beta Member

How is this a legitimate response by the square team? Literally every business that's larger than a mom and pop shop needs the ability to customize their website beyond the elements your restrict us to. If you want people to be able to consider square online as a legit alternative to woocommerce (which is a nightmare) then all you need to do is provide access to CSS and/or allow us to create our own templates.

Message 12 of 35
Beta Member

Hi Guys,

The native 'Facebook Messenger' support is not good (at all). It requires users to have an account and log in before they can message us. Facebook allows installation of its 'Plug In' which I have used and it works great. But it won't let me add the coding through embedded coding or through the 'Tracking' Coding menu. 

The updated plug-in by Facebook offers a custom color selection to match your brand and allows you to have FAQ ready for your clients. 

I think Square needs to look at a better integration system or upgrade the quality of its 'messenger' platform. 

Message 13 of 35
Admin

Thanks for adding your feedback @FCExcavating. I don't have any news on this feature at the moment, but if I hear of anything I'll check back in!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 14 of 35
Beta Member

Anyone found a workaround for adding the Facebook Messenger plugin? Agreed, the native Square Messenger from Facebook is garbage. Thank you!

Message 15 of 35

Is there any timeline established by the Square team on this?

The main ordering page is starting to feel a little aged... This is a highly competitive space and you need to catch up or at least let us do it ourselves. As a restaurant, ordering apps are an area undergoing massive growth right now. Give us the option to code our sites to stay ahead of the curve.

Message 16 of 35
Square Community Moderator

Thank you for writing in and highlighting this feedback @OpenDoorTea!

With Square Online being a template based site builder, it doesn't look like this is currently in the works. While we don't have news to share at the moment, we'll keep you in the loop with any news via this thread. 

Message 17 of 35

Hi Arie,

Thanks for the response, but that excuse doesn't hold water. Squarespace, Weebly (which your platform is built on), Shopify, Wix, etc. are all template builders that allow editing code and custom HTML / CSS.

Other features requested:

• "People also ordered" feature to checkout (like DoorDash, Uber, etc. to raise cart values). 
  • Integration with GrubHub delivery.  They are now is offering $1.99 delivery fee - MUCH better deal than DoorDash at $6.99
Message 18 of 35

Best Answer

I finally found a way!

It's a bit of a workaround but seems to work perfectly.  Here's a tutorial with a code snippet and a step-by-step video. 

I'm still hoping to see an actual custom CSS -feature soon. Preferrably using a CSS preprocessor like LESS (like Squarespace has). 

Message 19 of 35
Square Community Moderator

Thank you for sharing this workaround, @CodeAndTonicHQ! I'll highlight the request for custom CSS with our team, as well. 

Message 20 of 35

WELL DONE!!

I haven't tested this, but it looks like it should work.

I've marked as "BEST ANSWER".

Message 21 of 35