x

Can I hide categories in online store?

Hi, I have some categories set up for certain holidays that I'd like to be able to hide from view in my storefront until the time makes sense. This capability was possible with Legacy Weebly.. can we get it for current Square Online?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Admin

Thanks for your question, @here_apopupshop.

There isn't really a way to do that right now. You could create a different parent category called "more", or something like that, then make these categories subcategories of that one. It won't hide them but it will make your Shop All page a little cleaner looking and obfuscate those categories a bit. Once they are more relevant you can move one out to the top level of categories.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 2 of 16

Having categories you can hide is very helpful for retail stores with many skus. Can this get added to the backlog?

Message 3 of 16
Square Community Moderator

@RTC I can definitely mark this as feedback for the development team! Thanks for adding your voice to this.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 16

Thanks Ashley. To help the team prioritize this let me give you a real example of how things go when I import items into Square today.

When we bulk add items though CSV to the Square site the categories don't sync over to Square Online. So by default we mark items as unavailable, fix their category, add extra images because Square API only accepts 1, and then set it to visible. 

This process is greatly inhibited by having a bunch of items we can't sell online already in the unavailable state. If I could put those items in a hidden category then they wouldn't be in the same list as all of my newly added inventory. 

Even with automation I have written getting inventory added takes a few hours each time we receive product. 

Message 5 of 16

@RTC - stepping in for Ashley here in her absence. Thanks so much for taking the time to flesh this out. The extra context will be very helpful to our Product Teams.

Passing your feedback along now! Let us know if anything else comes up.

Joe
Message 6 of 16

I would also like to request that Categories (and Sub Categories) can be marked Hidden and/or Unavailable in the Online Store. I would like to have my holidays (set up as Categories and Sub Categories) ready to go and make them show and hide based on the time of year.

Message 7 of 16

Can you hide categories on square online? There are some full categories that we do not sell online. Or do I just delete them on square online? I'm worried I will then lose the whole category on my square app (POS).

Message 8 of 16

HI, Categories are not able to hide.  You can make the items unavailable in bulk.

Item Library, click the items you wish to make unavailable, a Bulk Edit button appears at right side, select Mark as Unavailable.

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 9 of 16

Has there been any update on this? I'm looking to have about 10 items available only when going to a specific URL. I had put those items into a category to build the page with the items on it, but I can't figure out how to remove it from the side navigation. (I was able to remove it from the main nav.)

Message 10 of 16

I was wondering if there have been any updates on the ability to hide entire categories? I'm starting to input my holiday seasonal items and have to change individual visibility. It would be nice if I could put all the holiday items in one category and then "flip the switch" to available when seasonally-appropriate. 

Message 11 of 16

Hi there @nateyandbode

This is not something we have available currently, however, I recommend taking a look at @Goldneye response. That would be the best workaround currently!

Ellie
Message 12 of 16

Would really love this feature as we run of our in-house items on a daily basis and being able to turn it off by category rather than going into the item library and bulk disabling would be an incredible QOL improvement. Please add this feature. It already exists with the "Items" category so why doesn't it work with our own custom ones?

Message 13 of 16

Hello, any update on this request. I see many requests for this but I'm at a standstill on this very issue. 

Thanks,

Message 14 of 16

Hello @CP23 - I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏 You can control your category visibility:

1. From your Square Online Overview page, go to Items > Site Categories.
2. Under the category you want to manage, select ”…” > Hide from the site.

I hope this helps! If you are still having issues or any additional questions about your online site you can reach Square Online Support at 1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport. If you need anything else don't hesitate to reach back out. 

Message 15 of 16

Thank you! I was assuming it removed the category all together from the site. Provided links work.

Message 16 of 16