x

Customer claiming payment!

Hi all,

I feel it is unlikely my question will be answered here but am looking for some advice from other business folk.

I received an Instagram message from a customer that was asking when to collect her order. I explained that this would be at the top of the confirmation email but that I would check anyway. 

Customer stated that the only email she had was a confirmation from signing up to Square Pay and no confirmation email from my company. She claims the money left her bank but I have absolutely no evidence of an actual order being placed. 

She claimed to be 'dying for' her order and wanted it as quickly as possible. I said that I hated to ask but was it possible for her to show me evidence of it leaving her bank as it seemed the quickest way to solve the issue. 

She then stated that it was actually her boyfriends bank account but that wasn't a problem.

I have not heard from her since. (4 days now)  I am not stupid and have obviously gotten a bad feeling from this straight away, I just wanted to know if this could be possible and others thoughts on this?

Thanks, Jodie 😀

Message 1 of 4
Report Inappropriate Content
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

Personally at this point I’d ignore, & it sounds like your instincts are already aiming that way anyway. 

you also look up any payment on the dashboard using the last 4 digits of their card https://squareup.com/dashboard/sales/transactions

this will tell you all transactions, so if somehow you’ve missed an email the payment will still be there. It also asks them to supply some corroborating details without disclosing too much.

Got to admit that I’ve missed orders that have come through, so it’s not always someone trying it on 😂   

Pizza Is Chill

Message 2 of 4
Super Seller

You should've received an email yourself identical to the order confirmation, and if she can provide a name and maybe a billing address or last 4 digits on the card you should be able to identify whether she placed a legitimate order, also ask her to contact you in a more formal way where you can keep a record of the communications maybe, likelihood is she'll delete the instagram DMs

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 3 of 4
Admin

Hey @Jodiea, sorry to hear this happen! We do have some resources on how to protect yourself against these types of situations so I definitely recommend keeping them on hand and always trust your instinct. 

There are also a few ways you can check if an order was place on Square:

• Ask for the order number
  • The last 4 digit of the card
  • The date of the original transaction

If the customer is using Apple Pay/Google Pay or other form of virtual payments, the card digits may sometimes differ but we would be able to check this for you as well. If you feel uneasy about any transaction as well, feel free to contact our Support team directly and we can ask the appropriate team to look into it. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 4 of 4