x

Date Format - online store

We are in Australia, and use the format, dd/mm/yyyy.

Online store uses mm/dd/yyyy (USA).

So when an order comes in, we are confused when it says.

09/08/2020

We think 9 August.

But it's not, it's 8 September.

The option to change format is important.

Also not using 'tomorrow' for orders, as when we read the order early next morning (from an order placed night before), it's not for 'tomorrow', it's for today.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Admin

Hey @mattjones40, thanks for flagging.

We have an open bug ticket for this issue internally, I've just commented on the ticket and quoted your example of why this needs fixing. Hopefully we can get further movement on this soon, it's not great being given what amounts to an incorrect date entirely! 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 18
Admin

@mattjones40 Are you able to confirm if this is still an issue?

Our engineers have made some recent changes and are looking to see how things appear for Australian Sellers at the moment.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 3 of 18

@Seamus 

It's still an issue - as the confirmation of order for our customers - show the wrong date format for Aussies - and they brought it up with us!

We didn't even realise. 😕

Can anyone advise the status of this?

Message 4 of 18
Admin

@Philadene,

From what I understand, this should have been fixed a while ago.

If it's popped up again that's certainly not ideal! If you're able to get a screenshot or replicate the issue, please send me a PM and I'll follow up further!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 5 of 18

What is the status of this problem?   I too am concerned to have US formatted numeric dates being sent to customers.   

Message 6 of 18
Admin

@Geoff-STG from what I understand this issue with Square Online was fixed a while ago - is this something you're seeing on your account now?

If so, the best way to get it looked into further is to get in touch with support, if they can verify the fault they'll be able to file a bug report with our engineering team.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 7 of 18

I have reported it so support.   I would have sent them this image but the email communication is text only!

US Date Format.jpg

That date represents the date of order, and is today, 6 August 2021.    But an Australian would read this as 8 June!

Interesting - I note another possibly related issue.   Whenever I connect to this community board, it tells me it thinks I am in the US.   I wonder why?

Message 8 of 18
Admin

Hey @Geoff-STG,

If you've filed a support ticket through the online form you will be able to reply and attach and image via email, once support gets back in touch. I gave our CS team a heads up in any case so hopefully this will help!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 9 of 18

OK thanks.   Support have just replied and advised it is a bug, but with no timeframe to fix.  

Message 10 of 18
Admin

Let me know how it goes @Geoff-STG.

Usually if this was impacting all Australian Square accounts we'd being hearing a lot more reports of the issue.

I'm wondering if perhaps the reason why the date is defaulting to a US format and the Community is detecting you in the US may be related, as you've mentioned. It's possible they are seperate issues, but things I'd be looking at are:

• Are you using a VPN? Or any apps or browser extensions that might allow you to view certain websites overseas?
  • What country, timezone and language have been set as the default on the device and/or web browser you are using to access the internet?

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 11 of 18

Not using a VPN to my knowledge.   I do have an internet filtering service (provided by Telstra) activated.  It must redirect web queries somewhere I guess.   I'll temporarily de-activate to see if that has any impact.

My windows computer knows I am in Australia and its preferred language (the first in the list) is English (Australia).  English (United States) is 2nd in the list.  Windows display language is English (Australia).  Windows uses the correct date format.  Time Zone is correct.   English (Australia) is the first preferred language for the Browser (which is Microsoft Edge).

Message 12 of 18

I turned off the filtering service.  I still get this whenever I come to the "community":

Looks like you are in the US.jpg

Message 13 of 18
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for giving these steps a try @Geoff-STG! I noticed you mentioned you're using Microsoft Edge, which could be the culprit here. Can you try using a different browser, such as Google Chrome, and reporting back? 

Message 14 of 18

In the past, that would have been my reaction too.   But Edge is now based on chromium, the same 'tool kit' that Google Chrome and most other browsers are built upon.   But, to test, I installed Chrome and using it,  connected to the square Community.   It still thinks I am in the US and asks if I want to go to that community.

As for the US formatted date in the Order Confirmation Email - I don't think the browser is formatting that - if I look in the "source HTML" of that email message, "8/6/2021" (to be understood as August 6) looks to be just text - meaning the sender of the Email (=Square) has formatted it that way.

I note above that Square support says it is a bug.   If so, it's a bit of a howler!

Message 15 of 18
Admin

@Geoff-STG,

I was able to replicate the issue and have added to the active bug report - I'll let you know when I hear an update, this obviously isn't ideal and in some instances results in incorrect information being given to customers.

I will say though, that the issue you're seeing with your browser detecting you as in the US sounds unrelated. If you try accessing the Seller Community on different web browsers do you find the same thing occurs, or is this restricted to a certain web browser?

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 16 of 18

As per my previous posts, same problem with the Seller Community if I use Chrome.

Message 17 of 18
Admin

Thanks @Geoff-STG,

I'm not sure we'll be able to get the bottom of why your computer is being detected as in the US - if it's not specifically browser related then it may be related to your internet connection or IP - there are a lot of potential solutions if you google the issue, though I'm going to back away from that rabbit hole as it could be one of a number of things and wouldn't probably require a technician to run a few different tests.

I'll keep you in the loop on the date formatting issues though, once I hear back from our engineering team.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 18 of 18