x

Selling digital files that are automatically emailed to purchaser.

Selling digital files that are automatically emailed to purchaser.

I would like to see a feature on square.

I would like to sell downloadable digital files, where an automated email goes out with the file link right after check out.  I would be able to have one more way to have sales in my business.  I am a hypnotist and don't have a way to sell digital files through my website.  I don’t know how to sell digital files through square.  

286 Comments

I have a similar issue. Sending files as an after sale is not an option. It means I still have to manually traffic my business. I need the client to be able to pay & download from a file that I've uploaded. I have this currently but it's via a 3-way sell as I have to upload to my website (which also doesn't support it) and link it to Shopify for the sale to go through. It works well but it's a long winded process and costing me double. I was hoping that SQUARE would be a one-stop shop for me. So I guess what I'm saying is perhaps you could direct your mailchimp landing page link to Shopify? 

I also need this feature quite badly.  The fact that I have to send the digital products by email slows down service to the customer.  It doesn't happen until I check Weebly.

I hesitate to change platforms over this because it took me many, many hours to put my products on Weebly, and I like my weebly webpage.  I would have to invest at least another week in moving to another platform.  

Before I ever had Weebly, I sold some digital downloads by just setting up a landing page in PayPal.  No software; it was my own effort using some things PayPal has.  If it is as simple as that, why can't Square do it?

Even if we could just do a customized  "thanks for your order" letter that was used for each specific digital item, it would solve most of my problem.  I could add a link and instructions to that letter.  

Hey @SarahH1,

I actually just found this article on customizing store emails, it looks like you can include a link in the order confirmation to digital files. 😁

I signed up with Square/Weebly because you apparently offered digital downloads. After paying for the service and moving some of my digital products to the site from Etsy, I find that I actually have to manually complete the process by sending a manual email with the digital download. I really need this option. It's not helpful to me that I have several more steps to do just to sell a pdf download. Now what do I do!

I second @Diana_Knits's idea of a minimum viable version of this: even without Square or Weebly directly hosting and serving paid digital downloads, the simple ability to define a specific email template just for digital download purchasers—especially if I can create a different email body for each digital item—would solve everything I need for now.

I'm sure Square/Weebly are working on something more advanced to be launched at some point in the future, but simply extending the existing automated customer order emails would be a major feature for now, for many of us.

In my specific use case, what I'm selling is an access code to a private, temporary part of our website. I don't want to muck around with account management or any individual support, so to keep it simple I'm fine with everyone receiving the same code, and keeping it private via honor system.

But this idea could also very easily be used to share a Dropbox link (periodically updated if it ever got leaked), or access instructions, or any private password or URL to "digital product" buyers.

By this point, most of us with digital products have already figured out how to host them. We'd just like to automate the emailing of those who buy them with access instructions.

You can, but (at least as far as I can tell) those customizations apply to all order confirmation emails, correct?

If you only sell one digital item, that'd work perfectly.

But unfortunately we sell both physical items, and a new digital item, so need the physical item purchasers not to receive the digital access.

Yes, currently the customization would apply to all emails.

Is the facility for digital downloads to be bought and sent automatically yet? I cant believe I've been through the whole set up, with a digital product option only to be told that i have to send the download myself by email- feel let down and misled. Why have a digital download option when i cant do it through the store? Any update?

Admin

Hi @Pip1, thank you for reaching out!

At this time, if customer purchased a digital item/product, you will need to manually send an email to your customers with a link to the file or files they purchased. 

The feature to sell digital items is still in its preliminary state so we are hoping to add more functionality to it over time. I'll be sure to pass your feedback to our Product team for future releases.

The customizing emails could work for me, if it allowed for different download links for different transactions. Ideally I'd like to create an invoice, send it to my customer telling them their digital product is ready, and then after they pay, the invoice receipt provides the unique download link I pasted into the customized receipt for that specific client.