x
Beta Member

Feature Request: Scheduled Discounts Square Online?

We’re extending our hours in the new year and plan to start a happy hour deal between lunch and dinner. I’ve looked into the scheduled discounts option, which is great and just what I was looking for on our POS. However, we would also like customers to receive this deal if they order online (Square Online). From what I can tell, there is no way to do this currently? Or is there something I am missing?

my only solution right now is time-based categories with a second copy of all of my items to include on happy hour, and that doesn’t sound like fun...and will ruin my reporting (splitting products into two line items).

if this is possible, where do I find it, and how does it work? Does the pickup/delivery time have to be in the window for the discount, or do they just have to place it in this window?

Message 1 of 15
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @waggydags!

Thanks for reaching out and surfacing this. 

As of right now, our Square Online coupons are a bit more limited than our Square discounts for POS. These are the only types of coupons for Square Online:

1. Percentage Discount: Discounts the purchase price based on the percentage you enter.

2. Dollar Amount Discount: Discounts the purchase price based on the amount you enter.

3. Free Shipping: Removes shipping fees from an order. You’ll need to create shipping rates before setting up this type of coupon.

So ultimately, no, you aren't missing anything. It's just a feature we don't have available 😔 We're working to improve the coupons for Square Online and mainstream it a bit more to align with Square POS discounts. I'll definitely update this thread if I hear something regarding development. 

Perhaps @pessosices would have some workaround suggestions? 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @waggydags!

Thanks for reaching out and surfacing this. 

As of right now, our Square Online coupons are a bit more limited than our Square discounts for POS. These are the only types of coupons for Square Online:

1. Percentage Discount: Discounts the purchase price based on the percentage you enter.

2. Dollar Amount Discount: Discounts the purchase price based on the amount you enter.

3. Free Shipping: Removes shipping fees from an order. You’ll need to create shipping rates before setting up this type of coupon.

So ultimately, no, you aren't missing anything. It's just a feature we don't have available 😔 We're working to improve the coupons for Square Online and mainstream it a bit more to align with Square POS discounts. I'll definitely update this thread if I hear something regarding development. 

Perhaps @pessosices would have some workaround suggestions? 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 15

Any progress on this?  I would highly recommend instead of trying to make the coupons 'align' with discounts - just fully add the discount functions to the online store.  You have a restaurant POS, and restaurants like to give discounts, at their discretion.  'Coupons' are a weak alternative.  

Message 3 of 15
Beta Member

From what I can tell we have been waiting on this feature for online since March of 2020, they keep saying they are working on it. However there isn't any timeline or update on when this will be released. I purchased Square Online premium and Square for retail only to find out I cannot give the same discounts to my online customers as my in Person customers. This is very disappointing, mostly because I have a contract with another company and the discounts must be the same across all my platforms. Now I have to find another platform to go with because this would cause me to not be able to keep my contracts.

Message 4 of 15

I am more or less perplexed as to why Square makes such a hard distinction between the "Online" and in-person version of menus.  All they need to do is a checkbox feature "add to website menu" from the main Item editor in Dashboard.  I am using Square for Restaurants, and it is very hard to conceive of a reason why I would need more differentiation than that between my in-house menu and online menu.  Instead I am categorizing everything twice, and changing all the default item settings from "Physical" to "Prepared Food and Beverage".  This discount issue is just one of many distinctions between in-store and online that is totally unnecessary, or at best should be opted in to.   

Message 5 of 15

I am also interested in this. For example, I want to automatically apply discounts online for 2 for $xx or 4 for $xx deals, which I can do through POS but not my online shop. It's a bit weird the discounts cannot apply to online orders...

Message 6 of 15
Super Seller

Scheduled discounts would also be cool to have for Square Appointments. Sometimes we have special events where we like to discount services. 

Message 7 of 15
Beta Member

Hey, Square!  What is the news on synching the Square Retail discounts with the Online service?  When I signed up, I was told it would be live end of 2021.  We've missed the holiday season.  Honestly, the only reason why I haven't jumped ship on my old website is because of the discount issue - the online coupon format is completely nonfunctional for me, the Square Retail system is almost perfect.  And why shouldn't the same discounts be offered across all platforms?  Make it easy for me to throw more money at you.  When can we expect the discount to be updated?

Message 8 of 15
Square Community Moderator

Hey @beefolks

We don’t have any updates to provide on this feature at this time. We will make sure to reach out if this gets updated. 

Have a good day! 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 9 of 15
Beta Member

I have seen in other posts where this is a high priority feature that you guys are actively working on because of the high consumer demand.  Now you are saying 'if' it gets updated?

This is an important distinction.  I purposefully did not invest in further upgrades on my current website because the sales rep assured me multiple times that the discount feature was going to be updated at the end of 2021.  If this update is no longer a high priority, I need to change my own allocation of resources.

Message 10 of 15

@beefolks - After reviewing this further we can say that it will be a feature we are looking to roll out this year, but we cannot confirm an exact date as we don’t have it. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 11 of 15

Any progress on this yet? We are also waiting for this feature to be available online for our happy hour deals. Please let us know if this is actually something that is being rolled out soon.

Message 12 of 15

No updates yet but at this time this is still expected to be rolled out this year @carlyadornwell

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Message 13 of 15

?

Message 14 of 15

Hey there, @Desert_Deli  - 

Thank you for checking in on this Feature Request. Right now, these are the options available for coupons or discounts with your Square Online store. 

If you're looking for something different I would recommend dropping a Feature Request over on the Ideate Board

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Message 15 of 15