x
Admin

Featured Square Online Site: Fatback’s BBQ

Hello Sellers! Every other week, I will be featuring rad sites built using Square Online by Sellers like you. It’s a great way to pick up tips that you can incorporate into your own site!

This week we’re going to look at the online ordering page for Fatback’s BBQ that Super Seller @Devin3627 created:

AdamB_0-1628620793710.png

https://order.fatbacksbbq.com

The first thing you’ll notice is how well the site matches the branding of Fatback’s BBQ. The background image, font, and colors are all the same as you’d see on packaging right at the restaurant. Consistent branding not only looks professional but creates a more seamless experience for your customers whether they buy online or in-person.

The next thing that stood out to me were the item images. If you like BBQ, you’re mouth will water when you see these:

AdamB_1-1628620793838.png

Holy moly.

This is super important with food where customers will want to see what they’re going to eat. This applies to essentially anything you sell online even if it's not incredibly tasty BBQ. The more your customer feels like they are looking at the item in person, the better.

The last point I will highlight is the organization of the categories. They’re laid out in what (to me, at least), is an order that makes sense. The first two categories are merch and time-sensitive specials.

It’s potatoes for me as I write this… I love potatoes… Sorry, I was distracted. 😬

AdamB_2-1628620793642.png

After the potatoes… er, specials, you see meals in increasing sizes, and finally sides and extras. This is a pattern you’ll see repeated in printed menus, too, so it’s an intuitive sequence for a person to order from.

What do you think? Let me know in the comments below! Let me know if you have a site you want to nominate - just send me a private message (hover over my username, then click on the button in the popup to send a message)!

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Beta Member

Thanks for the info.  I do bbq too, here is my current site.

https://sotexbbqco.square.site/

Any feedback is appreciated!

Message 22 of 41
Super Seller Alumni

I'll DM you some ideas!

Message 23 of 41
Beta Member

Thanks for this font change info! I finally got to update my site fonts to match all the business branding I had done before I made my site! 

Heather Trujillo-Bressler
Message 24 of 41

More Text options would be nice for the website. It is very limited.

I have also inquired about the ability to hide Categories on the website instead of having to delete and then recreate them later, i.e. Holiday Specials. That's a lot of time and work lost.

Message 25 of 41
Admin

I see what you mean, @ViolantesMeat, and it would make sense to have that control at the category level since we do at the item level.

Adam
Message 26 of 41
Super Seller Alumni

No need to delete them @ViolantesMeat ! 

Just mark ALL of the items inside of it as "unavailable" and the category will disappear! If you still have items as "Visible" it will show whatever items you have underneath that category, and none of the other items that are marked as "Unavailable".

Make sense? Let me know if you need any help! 

Message 27 of 41
Beta Member

how did he get the bakground to reach over the header?

Message 28 of 41
Admin

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you simply made your navigation section background transparent so the other section background shows, right, @Devin3627?

Adam
Message 29 of 41
Super Seller Alumni

Right @AdamB! It's just the normal site header with the transparent location info. Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 5.55.10 PM.png

Message 30 of 41
Beta Member

Great site, probably one of the best I’ve seen. One question I have is regarding the header still, how did you go about adding the text above the logo where you wrote about being open and delivery? My other question is regarding your footer, how did you get all the nice looking text / personal map down there? Are you just adding text boxes?

thanks so much!

Message 31 of 41
Admin

I don't see the text when I check @Devin3627's site, but I'm assuming it's a popup banner. You should see an option for that in Communications > Pop-ups in Square Online.

Adam
Message 32 of 41
Super Seller Alumni

Speaking of popup banners, @AdamB  - mine seems to not be working since an update a few months ago. Not sure if it was a square online update or just jumping up to ios15 - but something seemed to wonk them for me. I get a red chunk of background up top on mobile that you can pull down to refresh, but no Banner anymore.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 33 of 41
Admin

Did you remove the banner already? I don't see one in iOS at all (except for a bit of red at the very top of my phone), and I see nothing at all in Safari or Chrome in mac OS.

Adam
Message 34 of 41
Super Seller Alumni

@AdamB 

Nope - still active, that's the weird part.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 35 of 41
Admin

I'm not sure if this is the cause, but the embed code you have in the middle of the page to get updates is missing the closing </center> tag. I'm surprised that wasn't caught by the section since it tries to make sure your code isn't missing tags. Let me know if adding that and publishing again doesn't resolve it for you.

Adam
Message 36 of 41
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks for taking a deep dive into this, @AdamB !

Good catch!

Hmm, interesting.

I just fixed it but it shouldn't be the cause -- that code's been like that for a year and the banner only stopped working a couple of months ago. 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 37 of 41
Super Seller Alumni

@AdamB 

Whooops, nevermind, I caught it -- it was an old Date-based limit that I didn't realize was activated.

Sorry for the goose chase!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 38 of 41
Admin

Aha! Mystery solved - guess we both had an exciting day fishing.

Adam
Message 39 of 41
Super Seller Alumni

Haha, Always a good time.

Thanks again for the help and sorry again that it was something I missed! 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 40 of 41
Super Seller Alumni

@Archie1 Let me know if you need any help!

Message 41 of 41