x
Admin

How to Write a Great Product Description

Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 4.21.21 PM.png

Accurate and engaging product descriptions are an important factor in making sales online. In the case of services and other non-physical items, they are even more important. Let’s look at five different tactics you can use to write great product descriptions.

Keep it simple.

Aim to say more with less. When I am excited about something, I can talk forever about it. However, when shopping, I do not want to read forever. I want the information quickly so I can make a purchase decision. Keeping your description simple makes it easier to read and absorb quickly. Ultimately, this reduces the effort required of your customer to make a decision.

Write for your ideal buyer.

Imagine your ideal customer and write as though you are talking specifically to them. Thinking from their perspective will help you write a more focused description that speaks personally to their needs and wants. How would your ideal customer talk about the perfect item for them? This is the language you can use to reach your buyers.

Be convincing.

Persuade potential buyers through authentic descriptions and statements, and support your comments with data and testimonials. Paint an accurate picture of your items or services but don’t over-embellish. They are already great - focus on what makes them uniquely best for the potential buyer.

Be specific.

Avoid vague statements and generalizations. Make clear statements about your items or services in plain language. Let’s look at an example. Say you are selling hot sauce and you want to describe the heat:

Good: This sauce has the same heat as chipotle or jalapeño peppers.

Not-so-good: This sauce is hot and will make your mouth feel like it’s on fire.

The second statement is too general and isn’t telling your customer anything they don’t already know. The first statement gives a clear point of comparison, though. It gives a buyer a concrete idea of what to expect.

Include a mini-FAQ.

Lastly, include a small list of frequently asked questions. Like some of the tips above, this is all about reducing customer effort. If your customer has a common question, they can get the answer right away rather than searching or contacting you. It’s also a great way to be transparent and proactive with potential buyers.

Thanks for reading! Thoughts, comments, or suggestions for more tips? Let me know by replying below.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

Thanks for the post @AdamB this is a great topic! First let me say I love anytime I see that gif LOL. While I don't fully understand the dramatic context of the episode that this refers to (Real Housewives?) it ALWAYS puts a smile on my face.

I think the suggestions here are spot on, especially keeping it simple and accurate. For those selling jewelry or items where size is important, I'd also mention under specifics to be sure to include the physical dimensions, and if possible a photo that includes a ruler or other object to achieve a sense of scale (ex. shooting product photos with a coin or pencil beside it, or a person wearing the actual piece of jewelry). Many times feedback I received is related to this..."I didn't think it would be this small, but it's a beautiful pendant..." Listing those measurements or providing an image can help curtail any disappointment your customer may have with receiving your items.

Message 2 of 7
Super Seller Alumni

Such a great post & guide, @AdamB - thanks for thinking of it and putting it together!

I'm definitely more apt to write a more "fun" general description, so thinking through that customers may need a more specific and comparative explanation is a great reminder.

@HC_Charlie Using a ruler or pencil or other comparison in the item photo is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 3 of 7
Super Seller

Very useful information @AdamB 

We definitely have to put more time and thought into our product descriptions. I initially rushed out to get a good representative sample of the store's products on the website. I wanted people to know what the physical store carries by looking at our online store. Now that our online store is gaining traction, I definitely think we need to consider writing to our ideal buyer and convincing them of the products' uses. 

Message 4 of 7

The FAQ idea-GENIUS! Adding that to my to-do list!

Message 5 of 7

Great topic about making it short and simple enough to catch the customer's interest.

Message 6 of 7

This is critical information for anyone with an online store. Thank you. 

You give an example for "Be Specific", which is very helpful, is it possible to give examples for all of your sections.  And when you say, "Aim to say more with less" seems really challenging to me hitting on all of your categories, I would love to see a few complete examples incorporating the information you are providing.  

Also, how important is it to include "Key words" or "tags" into your product description for "SEO"?  This is where I get really hung up.  Is SEO and your product description connected at all?

Thanks again for any additional help you can provide.

Message 7 of 7