x

How to add custom fields to checkout links?

I recently received an email stating that Square now supports custom fields at checkout to collect information, which is something I need to add personalization for jewelry products but I cannot figure out how to add these fields. Below is the content of the email along with a set of instructions. I followed the link in the email to my dashboard-online checkout-checkout links but when I click on a link to edit or create a new link I do not see any options for custom fields or any "advanced settings." What am I missing? Can someone explain how to add these in more detail?

Email content:

"You can now add custom form fields to your checkout page to collect important details from customers like an account number or specific preferences. This allows you to manage orders and client accounts or memberships the way that works best for your business."

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 10.43.03 AM.png

Message 1 of 24
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Heya @JoshuaThJeweler,

Here's a photo of where that advanced setting button is: 

It's on the creation page when you go to make a new checkout link! Hope this helps.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Best Answer

Heya @JoshuaThJeweler,

Here's a photo of where that advanced setting button is: 

It's on the creation page when you go to make a new checkout link! Hope this helps.

Ashley C
Message 2 of 24

. Posted in a new thread as not so relevant here.

Message 3 of 24

How do you add a field such as vendor code for each item sold in the order

Message 4 of 24

Hi @Elphick - Violet here, following up for AshC. It looks like you still need help with this, so I kept the ball rolling on your inquiry.

Were you not able to add a custom field for vendor codes by following the instructions here?

I'll keep an eye out for your reply!.

Violet
Message 5 of 24

I have this same problem. This "advanced settings" only occurs when you choose collect payment. Not sell item. I need these custom fields on my ITEMS.

Message 6 of 24

Oh I see, this feature does not exactly work for my needs as I am selling items with personalization. I need custom fields that I can add to individual items (ideally before adding to cart, not at checkout), so customers can write in their personalized message or name that I will put onto the item. I could make this feature work in a roundabout way but it would be better if it was tied to items instead of having to make an entirely new checkout link for every piece that I can customize this way. Why is there no advanced settings for the items category? Could this be added at some point?

Message 7 of 24

You can do this, but Square's website is kinda fff'ed up. You like have to create the item in the square website, and then go make the edits to the item in the square.ONLINE website. It's not all one centralized location. And then for some stupid reason, you can then go BACK to the item on the regular square site and add completely different options. Do you mean like what I have at balancefitnessoregon.com/signup? (I originally had text boxes here too, but I want them at checkout, not before adding to the cart, which is why I'm here hijacking your post, lol)

Message 8 of 24

Oh my goodness. I’ve been searching around everyone trying to find a solution like this. This is perfect and amazing all in one. 

Can you please point me into the direction on how you achieved this in square online?

thank you!

Message 9 of 24

Is your balance fitness website in Wordpress though?

or am I going a bit crazy?

Message 10 of 24

Wow, does Square read the comments in the support forums? Do they look for input from their customers? Does anyone use these links? We are a Club and if you buy a membership or a guest ticket for an Event we need a custom form field to ask for the Member's name.  Simple, yes? These custom fields are only working with "Collect a Payment" and "Accept a Donation" checkout links, NOT "Sell an Item". 

Message 11 of 24

It's true @PeteG. I also need it with "Sell an Item." It doesn't work. Seems the OP and I both do. @ashc, still here?

Message 12 of 24

Why is this not available if you select recurring donations?

Message 13 of 24

This option was disabled for subscription payments using checkout links (including recurring donations), as the custom fields were not working correctly, @HBACA. If we hear news about the reintroduction of this feature to subscription payments, we'll be sure to update this thread. I've moved you here so that you can receive a notification if a new post is added to this thread.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

Joe
Message 14 of 24
Beta Member

am hoping Square online can make it so we can add a spot to a specific item where a client can place what they want an item to say. I sell handcrafted items that clients want to personalize with a name or date or both and pay extra fee for it on specific items. Having them mail me the information is not an easy solution. 

Message 15 of 24

Hey there @Cpassetto

What you're looking for can be accomplished with a Text Modifier that would prompt for a text when adding a certain item or items to the checkout in Square Online. 

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Message 16 of 24

Is there a way to do this on square register using point of sale?  When I add an item, I want to have a field to input delivery date and a couple other custom fields rather than putting all this info in the Notes section.

Message 17 of 24

Hi @grammys 

Welcome to our Seller Community! We're always happy to see new faces. 

The ability to add custom fields on the Square Register is currently a feature request. 

If we add this feature in the future, we'll be updating Sellers here in the Community. 

Thank you.

Frances
Message 18 of 24

Any news on this feature?

This is pretty basic stuff included in most e-commerce solutions.

Thanks!

Message 19 of 24

We need to track amount sold be vendor. Each order contains items from multiple vendors

Message 20 of 24

I just don't understand how Square could decide to change their whole checkout screen and not give the the option for custom fields, when people in this community have been asking that for years. Also, the ability to make them required. It would literally save hours of work. 

Message 21 of 24