x
Beta Member

In-store coupon code to be used In online store

Hi,

My customer has an email coupon code from her birthday.  It’s a $5 dollars off coupon code for in-store use.  She is asking is there any way she can use it in our online store.  I’ve tried her code and it can only be used in store, not online. 

thank you

Chris

Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @Chrishawaii3619

You're right - as you've noticed, the email coupon can only be used in-store using a POS device. For the Online Store, all promo codes should be created within the site editor under Items > Coupons

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @Chrishawaii3619

You're right - as you've noticed, the email coupon can only be used in-store using a POS device. For the Online Store, all promo codes should be created within the site editor under Items > Coupons

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Message 2 of 14
Beta Member

@JustinC 

Thank you for the reply!

Chris

Message 3 of 14

Is this still true?  I sent a marketing campaign and my customers are having trouble using the coupon code.  However when setting up the coupon the following text comes up "Valid in-store or via Square Online, if applicable." So I assume the code should be valid BOTH in store and online, no?

Message 4 of 14
Beta Member

It still doesn’t work.  I thought Square changed their system to make it work but it doesn’t.  I also sent a marketing email this morning.  It says the code can be used in store or online but it does not work online.  I think Square should remove that phrase “use online” when under the email marketing campaign.

Message 5 of 14

Is this still true?  I sent a marketing campaign and my customers are having trouble using the coupon code.  However when setting up the coupon the following text comes up "Valid in-store or via Square Online, if applicable." So I assume the code should be valid BOTH in store and online, no?

Message 6 of 14
Beta Member

I think there is a fine print on the bottom of email we sent.  Valid in-store or via Square Online, if applicable.  

Message 7 of 14

Exactly.  How do we make that option applicable?

Message 8 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hey @PaulP1 -I was able to locate this article with more details around your question. 

The article states, "These coupons are only for use in your online store, but if you’ve created any single-use coupons through Square Marketing, customers can redeem those in your online store as well as in person." 

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 9 of 14

Square Folks,

Two years later, and this issue is still not resolved. The documentation about creating a new (coupon) with a unique autogenerated code still seems to indicate that the unique autogenerated code can be used in store or online - "Valid in-store or via Square Online, if applicable" text under the coupon and "Redeemable in-store only." under "Applies to Category", which seems to imply that if you choose "Entire Sale" the coupon can be used in-store and online.

Your sellers would like to use unique autogenerated codes in their online store. The documentation during the Square Dashboard Coupon Marketing Campaign setup is confusing and contradicts the actual behavior of the promotion. The Square Marketing documentation link from @sayra above does not reference this issue.

Message 10 of 14
Super Seller

Are we still not to able to use online coupon codes in person and vice versa?????

Message 11 of 14

I think it is time that Square breaks down and hires a coder. That person could help make the site much more user-friendly. I have been trying to figure out how to add a "coupon code" for about an hour, I still can't get it to work on my online store. 

Message 12 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hello @shootinjh.

We understand your frustration, and we appreciate your feedback. It can be challenging when features aren't as intuitive as they could be. We apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced while trying to add a coupon code to your online store. Your suggestion about hiring a coder is valuable. 

In the meantime, let me assist you in adding the coupon code:

To create a coupon in Square Online:
  1. From your Square Online Overview page, go to Items > Coupons or Shared Settings > Coupons.
  2. Select Add Coupon.

You can also find more details on our "Create Discounts for Square Online Items" article.

If this is not what you are looking for, please let us know and we will be happy to continue assisting you. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 13 of 14

Got it, thanks.

Message 14 of 14