x
Beta Member

Is there a way to ban an abusive customer from purchasing in the online store?

Is there a way to block an abusive customer from ordering from our online store?

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @MeatsnFoods I am sorry that you are going through this is an abusive customer. Right now, there isn't a way to block a specific card or person from making orders in your online store, but you can toggle on a setting to manually accept all incoming orders and deny this person's orders each time.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Best Answer

Hey @MeatsnFoods I am sorry that you are going through this is an abusive customer. Right now, there isn't a way to block a specific card or person from making orders in your online store, but you can toggle on a setting to manually accept all incoming orders and deny this person's orders each time.

AshleyK
Message 2 of 7

@AshleyK I have a question for you. In my app Knowtifyd I've integrated Square to take online payments. 
Could you tell me if the approach I've taken to ban credit cards is sufficient?

Here are my steps to prevent banned cards form ordering online:
Step 1: Let the customer pay online by entering their card number or paying with google/apple pay.

Step 2: Attempt to pay for the order, on the server, using the Square Payments API.
Note: Set Autocomplete to false when constructing the CreatePaymentRequest

CreatePaymentResponse paymentResponse = await squareClient.PaymentsApi.CreatePaymentAsync(createPaymentRequest);

Step 3: After the order is paid for online, extract the card details from the CreatePaymentResponse

Step 4: In my table 'BannedCards' look up to see if the card exists using the CardBrand, Last4, ExpMonth, & ExpYear

Step 5: If a record is found, cancel the payment

await squareClient.PaymentsApi.CancelPaymentAsync(paymentResponse.Payment.Id);

otherwise complete the payment

await squareClient.PaymentsApi.CompletePaymentAsync(paymentResponse.Payment.Id, new CompletePaymentRequest.Builder().Build());

My question is how unique is the combination of using CardBrand, Last4, ExpMonth, & ExpYear to save and ban a card? Would you recommend this approach? 

Also, what would be even better is if I could extract CardBrand, Last4, ExpMonth, & ExpYear from the nonce before I even attempt to execute 

await squareClient.PaymentsApi.CreatePaymentAsync(createPaymentRequest);

Thanks, 
Joseph Garza 

Message 3 of 7

@AshleyK Are you still with us?

Message 4 of 7
Beta Member

Is there a way to ban or block a past customer from making any more purchases because of harassment or other factors like they return everything they purchase? 

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 7

Hi there, @PlantSellerYEG - thanks for taking the time to bring your thoughts over here to the Seller Community. Great to hear from you again!

AshleyK also responded to a similar question on this thread here, and provided a small workaround. I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information on this same thread.

We are currently tracking this feature as a Feature Request. This means that when we have a formal announcement or progress to share, we can reach back out to you here and let you know. Thanks, again!

Joe
Message 6 of 7
Beta Member

I've got a customer that issued chargebacks on 4 separate occasions. By her own admission she enjoyed the product and enjoys our store. But she inexplicably issues chargebacks against us, which she denies doing when confronted from the customer communication portal. We've lost 2 of the chargebacks and expect to lose the other 2. I've tried to remind my staff to block her but she managed to come in again a week ago and my staff forgot and served her, shortly thereafter we got another chargeback. I tried through the communication portal to send her the chargebacks and it's a 2 step confirmation process where she has to type TALK and then YES but I only see that she types in TALK so she never receives the rest of the communication.

At any rate, would really like to ban this customer permanently.

Message 7 of 7