x

Making Square Online checkout accessible for screenreader users

Hello,

I am thinking about using square online to sell some items with braille on it. However, when I test out the square online checkout, it does not work very well for those who are blind and use a screenreader like myself. The address field where it wants you to enter the shipping/billing address is not accessible. It wants you to select from a map, is my guess when you start typing the address. In my opinion, this should be in separate fields.

Example: Instead of "enter address", it should be "street name and number", "apt/suite", "Enter City", "Select State", "enter zip/postal code", "select country". Then you can have a box to check if the shipping address is the same as the billing. Some people may not agree, but websites have to be accessible for everyone, blind/visually impaired included; ADA compliant. If you are not sure how to do this, you can contact the National Federation of the Blind.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @TechPianoKid

First of all welcome to the Seller Community. I wanted to let you know that I have shared your question with the team. At this time, they are aware that the Address input on the Square Online Checkout page is especially poor and they have changes that they are actively working on to improve it. I don't have any specific details on the accessibility portion of it but this is definitely on their radar.

Thank you for raising the flag on this very important matter and we hope to be able to make this possible for you and the Blind or visually impaired community.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2