x

Online Store: How do I enable an SSL certificate?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: ssl certificate

Hi There

i hope you can help i have bought a basic weebly account just to point my own domain to the online shop ip address i done this last night but today i get a page with NOT SAFE and certificate error, i have tried to unpublish and publish the site but still same error

thank you

Message 1 of 38
Report Inappropriate Content
2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @maximo, sorry to hear you're encountering this error. Are you still seeing it? I just took a look at your site and I didn't see it. 

Sometimes it can take a while for the settings to update after you republish. To republish your site:

1. Go to the Website section of your online store (sign in > click Edit Website).
  2. Click General Settings > scroll down and click Un-Publish.
  3. Then click Publish button in the top right corner).

If you've already waited a while after republishing and you still see the error please try clearing your browser history

Reply here if you have any questions about this! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 38
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @FlowEcoBoat - Good News, I visited your site-- it looks great and it showed up secure!

Of course, the important thing is for your site to appear secure to your customer. One of the troubleshooting steps that i've found to be most helpful in case is unpublishing and publishing your site. 

Also, I found these steps that may be helpful for mobile:

Solve Your Android SSL Connection Error

1. Correct the Date & Time on Your Device. ...
  2. Clear Browsing Data of Google Chrome. ...
  3. Reset Your Network Settings. ...
  4. Deactivate Your Antivirus App. ...
  5. Update Your App/Browser. ...
  6. Visit Website in an Incognito/Private Mode. ...
  7. Reset Your Device.

How to Fix the SSL Connection Error on iPhones and iPads

1. Open the Settings app and select General > Date & Time.
  2. Check if the Set Automatically option is enabled. If it isn't, turn it on.
  3. Manually check if your device is using the correct time zone.

I Hope this is helpful for you and your customers ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @maximo, sorry to hear you're encountering this error. Are you still seeing it? I just took a look at your site and I didn't see it. 

Sometimes it can take a while for the settings to update after you republish. To republish your site:

1. Go to the Website section of your online store (sign in > click Edit Website).
  2. Click General Settings > scroll down and click Un-Publish.
  3. Then click Publish button in the top right corner).

If you've already waited a while after republishing and you still see the error please try clearing your browser history

Reply here if you have any questions about this! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 38

Hi Helen, I am also getting the same message as maximo got. I was told I needed to buy an SSL which I have done from my website name provider , but they are now asking for a Certificate Signing Request (CSR). I have no idea how to generate this request? Can you point me in the right direction please , at the moment me website is useless! many thanks Neil.

Message 3 of 38
Alumni

If you're using Square Online, you donโ€™t need a CSR and shouldnโ€™t be buying a certificate from anywhere.

We provide an SSL certificate for free with Square Online. When we try to configure an SSL certificate for the first time, there can sometimes be funkiness with the timing when using a custom domain where it won't show as pointed to us when publishing. Itโ€™ll get stuck and not keep trying to issue one. If that happens, you just need to un-publish and publish again - it should issue one.

I hope this helps, @merrydragons - but please let me know if questions come up!

P.S. Welcome officially to the Seller Community โœจ

Valentina
Message 4 of 38

I am using a square subdomain for now but my customers are still seeing the unsecure website error. I have unpublished and republished and i do not see the errors at all on either my windows laptop or my android phone. 

This is extremely frustrating because i am really relying on customer orders at the moment but they aren't ordering because of this error that apparently has been there for weeks but I've only just been notified about it! 

What can i do? I can't afford to lose customers or orders i really can't

Message 5 of 38

Hi there @FlowEcoBoat

Unfortunately I am not able to replicate this in my browser either. Are you able to check with your customers to see what browser they are using and getting the SSL error on? That will help us pin point the issue. 

Ellie
Message 6 of 38

They are using a mixture and on different devices too, some Android, some Apple etc. 

I am still having the same issue because I've just received more customers saying the same thing. That my site is unsecure or hackers are trying to access it. This is not doing my business any favours and I am losing so much desperately needed custom right now, can't tell you how frustrating this is!

Message 7 of 38

Best Answer

Hey @FlowEcoBoat - Good News, I visited your site-- it looks great and it showed up secure!

Of course, the important thing is for your site to appear secure to your customer. One of the troubleshooting steps that i've found to be most helpful in case is unpublishing and publishing your site. 

Also, I found these steps that may be helpful for mobile:

Solve Your Android SSL Connection Error

1. Correct the Date & Time on Your Device. ...
  2. Clear Browsing Data of Google Chrome. ...
  3. Reset Your Network Settings. ...
  4. Deactivate Your Antivirus App. ...
  5. Update Your App/Browser. ...
  6. Visit Website in an Incognito/Private Mode. ...
  7. Reset Your Device.

How to Fix the SSL Connection Error on iPhones and iPads

1. Open the Settings app and select General > Date & Time.
  2. Check if the Set Automatically option is enabled. If it isn't, turn it on.
  3. Manually check if your device is using the correct time zone.

I Hope this is helpful for you and your customers ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Ria
Message 8 of 38
Super Seller

Hi there, stepping in here with what knowledge I have, a CSR is a group of SSL keys that have to be sent, however I donโ€™t believe the server keys to square are available, have you tried clearing all caches and browser history to access the site as sometimes a browser just remembers a site as unsafe when now itโ€™s been secured, can I see the link to your site so I can check if itโ€™s behaving the same way for me?

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 9 of 38
Super Seller

Sorry, Valentina's reply hadn't loaded when I sent that for some reason *facepalm*

Matt - He/They
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 10 of 38

Hi! I had the same problem with my new Square website saying that it wasn't safe. I tried the unpublish then publish process, and it worked. This thread was very useful! Thanks very much!

Message 11 of 38
Beta Member

how long does it usually take for Republishing to have an effect?

Message 12 of 38

Hi @ecotopia, as soon as you click Publish, your online store should be published immediately. If the above steps don't resolve the issue with the "Your connection is not private" error message, we can have a further look into it. Can you please share your website url with me? 

Emma
Community Manager, Square
Message 13 of 38

Hi there,

I am having this issue also. I have cleared the cache, unpublished, republished, tested the site from my phone and laptop and have customers trying to access it too but it still says the site is unsafe. Running out of ideas. Any more help appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 14 of 38
Admin

Sorry to hear you're running into this too @dressdesigner! If you've tried all the troubleshooting steps suggested above, can you share a link to your website with me so I can take a look on my end? 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 15 of 38

Hi, I am having the same problem too. I added my own domain to my free site couple of days ago and ever since then I have the security error message and also cannot take payments. 

I have unpublished and re-published, I have cleared the history on my laptop before unpublishing too and it is still not working. Do I need to purchase a SSL certificate? 

Message 16 of 38

Hi, I'm having the same problem with my site showing as unsafe either as insecure in the header or as the message "This connection is not private".  I have unpublished and republished, my site is www.edenandsoul.co.uk.  Any new ideas please? 

Message 17 of 38
Super Seller

Hi ! 

The process can take anywhere from 2minutes-48hours. 

Please make sure to wait up to 48hours and then try unpublishing and republishing again, after this time frame has been completed, feel free to reach out again for advice on reaching a Square representative who can help you further with this issue. 

Matt - He/They
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 18 of 38
Super Seller

Also ensure that you have cleared all browsing data and then try accessing the site again, sometimes a browser will cache an SSL status and reload it the next time around despite the updated status

Matt - He/They
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 19 of 38

My customers are still getting this message despite unpublishing and publishing again. Iโ€™m losing business because not all customers will message me to place an order! How do I get this sorted? 

Message 20 of 38
Super Seller

Hi , from my browser the domain you mentioned isnโ€™t attached to a server meaning you havenโ€™t connected it to your Square Online Site, if the domain isnโ€™t connected to Square Online, Square are not able to activate an SSL certificate, you will continue to lose business whilst this is the case as the domain has no way to direct traffic to the appropriate server space. 

Matt - He/They
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 21 of 38