x
Beta Member

Online descriptions going missing

I have been having this issue since January. Our item descriptions online are randomly vanishing. We have around 1000 products and each time we notice this happening, we have to manually go through each item to see if it missing a description and then have to go research the info again (ingredients,etc) to put back in the descriptions. Every time it takes us hours of work and we are mentally exhausted. This is the third time I have noticed it happening. Last time it deleted 46 of our descriptions.

Square has been contacted both times previously and nothing has ever been done --they say nothing is wrong. Clearly it is and it has not been resolved as a bug. We never had this issue in previous years, so something must be going on. We aren't even editing these descriptions, some have been untouched for over 3yrs, then poof they are just magically gone!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Square Community Moderator

Hey @EarthMarket,

I'm sorry that trouble has brought you to the Community, but I'd like to take a look into this further.

Can you please provide your URL along with a few items so we can take a look? Also are you updating these items from your item library or your Square Online Dashboard under site items? 

Message 2 of 14
Beta Member

Www.earthmarketstore.ca

12% vinegar, multisurface cleaner, dish soap, rezip 5 pack, etc. 

Usually descriptions are edited from the square online item library. However, none of these items were edited...I noticed the descriptions missing when I was looking through my website. 

Message 3 of 14
Square Champion

There is a setting somewhere syncing your dashboard and online descriptions. Ensure they are set correctly?

Message 4 of 14
Beta Member

I don't see where you're talking about? Not sure this would be the issue though, as each time it deletes our descriptions it is a random set of items. It has done this 3 times now. It started happening around the time the update came through with the descriptions showing up on the POS. I think it is probably related.

Message 5 of 14

Thanks for providing these details, @EarthMarket.

Before I send this through to our Square Online team for investigation, can you let me know whether you edit any item details directly from your point of sale app? Additionally, can you recall making any specific changes to the items listed above, such as inventory counts?

The more information I can provide to our team, the quicker they'll be able to rule out some common factors and get to the root cause of the issue you're experiencing.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 14
Beta Member

Sometimes we edit the inventory counts through our POS, so some items that have had descriptions disappear in the past have had inventory changed. In the case of these examples listed that have the descriptions missing now, no we have not edited anything before noticing the descriptions were missing. Again, it's random. Not linked to editing on our end, because some of the items haven't been touched in a long time. 

Message 7 of 14

Thanks for confirming, @EarthMarket!

I've escalated this issue to our Square Online team for further review. Should we need any additional details from your side, I'll reach back out to you in this thread. 

Please allow up to 24 hours for our team to investigate. Once I receive an update, I'll let you know!

Laurie
Message 8 of 14

Hi again @EarthMarket,

Apologies for the delay in responding! We overlooked the initial request from our team for further information after our escalation.

Based on your description, the team intends to create a ticket with our engineers to investigate the root cause of the disappearing descriptions. They require the following details:

Typically, do you add or edit your descriptions using the Square Online Dashboard (Site Items), or do you utilize a different method (Item Library, POS app)?

Does this issue occur consistently for items where you have manually re-added the description? Alternatively, does it occur sporadically for new sets of items that haven't encountered this issue before?

I'll be monitoring for your response here.

Laurie
Message 9 of 14
Beta Member

We add them from the Square Online dashboard. And no, it is on random items..they differ each time. For example, last time it was 46 items, this time 136. Not necessarily the same items losing descriptions.

Message 10 of 14

@EarthMarket to get a little more clarification. When you're inputting items, descriptions disappear when you add the items from your Item Library or the Site Items?

Message 11 of 14
Beta Member

Site items.  But some of them haven't been touched in years and the descriptions still go missing. 

Message 12 of 14

@EarthMarket, thank you for these important details. We've passed this new information along to our Square Online team. Once we have more insight, a Community Moderator will reply.

I appreciate your patience.

Message 13 of 14
Beta Member

Is your square online description the same as the pos?

Message 14 of 14