x

Is there a way to make an item only available for pickup on a specific date/time?

I have a BBQ restaurant and food truck in Baltimore and I am only open for in-store pickup on Saturdays. I want to offer smoked turkeys for thanksgiving and have them be available for pickup on one specific date (Nov. 24th) within a specific time window. The only options I can see for this right now is to change my hours online to reflect that I am open every Tuesday, which could cause issues because you know someone is going to order pickup for a different Tuesday than the one specified. Anyone else have issues like this and figured out a way to make it work?

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a way in Square.  So far my workaround was creating categories called 11/24, 11/25, etc, and then creating items in that category called for example "Large Apple pie (11/24 Pickup).  Then you only put the dates (categories) you want available online.

we just put ours live for pickup at one of our stores now.  check it out for an example of what I was trying to explain.  https://risen-roll-schererville.square.site/

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Super Seller

Best Answer

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a way in Square.  So far my workaround was creating categories called 11/24, 11/25, etc, and then creating items in that category called for example "Large Apple pie (11/24 Pickup).  Then you only put the dates (categories) you want available online.

we just put ours live for pickup at one of our stores now.  check it out for an example of what I was trying to explain.  https://risen-roll-schererville.square.site/

Message 2 of 12
Beta Member

When your customers purchase, do they actually show up in the "orders" page on the specific date?  

I'm trying a workaround for this same issue. All my orders are prepaid and then picked up during specific dates and times. I'd like to be able to post one single limited edition item of sorts for presale and allow customers to pick up during specific days and times (for instance, Thanksgiving week only and during certain time slots only). Right now, system only allows for generic Monday-Sunday but does not allow me to make it a specific date and time (lets say 11/24 at 2:00pm, 4:00pm, 6:00pm etc...). So I want to be able to restrict customers from scheduling pickups outside the limited window.

Message 3 of 12
Beta Member

I have a very similar issue.  For most of my items, I use the automatic calculation for delivery/pickup times based on my store hours and the prep time I have assigned a certain item.  But, currently we have items that will only be available for pickup on Valentines Day (Feb 14) or the day before (Feb 13).  I have created 2 options for the item, named "Ready Sunday, Feb 13" and Ready Monday, Feb 14".  But when a user adds the item to their cart, the automatic calculation kicks in and shows a different day which is very confusing.  I would love to have the option for each item to choose a specific date when it will be ready for pickup/delivery, rather than specifying a "prep time".

Message 4 of 12
Beta Member

Is there a way to set specific pickup days for selected items? For instance, we make custom cakes but I want to turn off pickups for Thursdaya while keeping pickups open for all of our other items.

Message 5 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hello @barkshopbakery, thanks for reaching out. At this moment there is not, but there are plans to start supporting preorders for days but don't have a defined timeline for that yet. A workaround, for now, would be making a new location, setting the hours for Thursdays only, and assigning the relevant items to that location is the best option. I know this is not ideal but hopefully, soon we will have more customization with preorders. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 6 of 12

Hi All! I run an online nursery. In the Spring, I list my plants for sale and have been using the Variations option to designate what week during Spring that item is available for pickup. There’s multiple items and not all have the same weekly availability. The caveat is that the “Processing and Prep Time” function is interfering and causing a lot of confusion. If I set that to default, then it defaults to my general shop setting of three days. So if a customer orders a plant in February and selects the first week of May from the Variation as their pickup week, they’re then told in big, bold text that their plant is ready in three days (or whatever I had set as the default) from their purchase. Similarly, if I set the processing time for each item to a certain time frame, say four weeks, I either have to go through and change each listing (there’s 200+ of them) each week to keep it consistent or it will again, cause confusion as that processing time is static. Not to mention I do have other farm products that are available in a few days that this would interfere with.  Is there any way to turn off the processing time function so I can just use the item modifier function? Or is there a dynamic calendar type function that can be installed/added on to the shop? 

Message 7 of 12
Beta Member

I own a bar/restaurant. We have two menu items that are only available on Saturday and Sunday. I would like to be able to prevent folks from ordering these items on our online store except for those two days. Currently we either have to leave them on the site with verbiage in the description saying they are only available on Sat/Sun and hope folks pay attention (doesn't always work, we have had folks order them on other days resulting in calling back the customer, them being unhappy, etc.), or manually go in and make them available or unavailable every week, which is easy to forget to do. I searched in the seller community and it appears this is not a current functionality (https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Questions-How-To/Time-Based-Category-Issue/td-p/187448). Please add it soon!!!!

Message 8 of 12
Beta Member

I found this information on adding availability based on categories, but I don't see the mentioned "Availability" section when I look at my categories.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/7075-set-up-time-based-categories-in-your-square-online-stor...

Message 9 of 12
Alumni

Reach out to the Square Online Team if you're not seeing the availability button. @Amanda_Bierock

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 12

Hello community, I am trying to sell several items that are only available for pickup for 4 days a month from now.  How can I set up the system so that if a customer adds those specific items to their cart, the pickup date gets restricted to only the 4 days I have in mind?

Message 11 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hi @happy8 - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have asked this question as well. We merge duplicate conversations together to keep like comments in one place, and to make it easier for others to find the thread in the future. 

Please see the reply from one of our Super Sellers, @VanKalkerFarms, which has been marked as the Best Answer to this question

I hope this information is helpful, but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 12