x
Beta Member

Possible scam

I’ve had a lengthy message from my Contact Form on my online site referring to squareshopping@mail.com

Is this anything to do with Square or is it a scam?

https://the-ungrateful-wench.square.site
Message 1 of 7
Report Inappropriate Content
6 REPLIES 6
Square Community Moderator

Hey Tony,

Thanks for reaching out and flagging this! This isn't a Square email address, and sounds like it might be a scam if they're claiming to be Square. It could also just be a company with a similar name - however, feel free to forward any emails from this address to spoof@squareup.com so our team can take a look. 

Message 2 of 7
Super Seller

The issue is this was received through the contact form so the email comes from Square but it's not actually from Square... 

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 3 of 7

That sounds odd, @MJD - was there anything else suspicious in the message they sent through? 

Message 4 of 7
Super Seller

They seem to be asking for a lot and making offerings that seem unlikely 

I received this seemingly trying to guide me away from Square:

I doubt the names are real btw 

Full name

{Redacted}

To the square site owner. You may want to check this out for yourself. You can also send it to your customers if you wish. Have you an android phone or tablet and can spare a few moments of your time to do a survey? Square.com offer free websites which usually end in .square.site We have found that they are not visible on all the android devices we have tested and want to confirm that is the case on all android devices. We hope then that square.com can fix this problem. If you go to squaresbay.comand enter in the search field one or other of these product searches: Epson, chocolate, flowers or makulu when the results appear you can visit the the site by clicking VISIT SITE, with an android device this produces a blank screen. Then tell us the results by email. Please state the device used. Here is a little background and if you have a service, or product to sell you can make money from your effort. Square.com allows you to take card payments and if you have a referral, or given one you will have a £1000 free of commission which is normally 1.65%. When you have signed up you can click on the Online button in your dashboard and you can make a free website which ends in .square.site You are invited to use a better domain name at an extra cost, or have a site designed for you for about $450. It is best to ignore these and go the free route. There is a tutorial on squaresbay.com and you will find it easy to make a site for yourself. Square only offer a Facebook and Instagram page which is at the bottom of your site for promotion and this has to be a Facebook Business page. It is up to you whether to use this doubtful promotion. The .square.site is not found by search engines and you have no means to know if you have been actually visited. Squaresbay.com is visited so you can add your site for free there. You just register then your site will appear on the site. You then enter your product, or service into the search engine when you login. You are redirected to a Bookmarks page where you can add bookmarks of sites you like. Here you will find a Product entry page. You can see this on the image at the bottom of Squaresbay.com When you do this you have two lines the website address and the product fields. To enter a product that you have on your screen just copy the address from the search bar into the website field. Then give the product a distinctive name. If you are using social media to advertise your product then it is best to enter the product with a suffix such as product?xx where xx is the first 2 characters of your .square.siteaddress. If you just put flowers you will get a whole market garden. So it is best to put both flowers and flowers?xx. Now if you want to register and have the first £1000 free of commission just email and ask for a referral. When you have your site ready you can ask Square.com for an appraisal and they will refer you to a site which helps with comments. I suggest that you always have the web mail at the bottom of your page and include it in contact us at the top of the page. Best of luck and thanks for conducting the survey.

Matt - He/They
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for sharing, @MJD. The grammar, and overall theme in this message is all over the place, and definitely not from us! 

Message 6 of 7
Super Seller

Same one got sent to me!

Matt - He/They
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 7 of 7