x
Beta Member

Refunds from On Demand Delivery

Hi,

DoorDash failed twice last week at delivering food for my customers and have sent me refunds for those orders. How do I see that those refunds where processed? I have email confirmation but since DoorDash isn't connected to my square/bank account I am unsure how to confirm the refunds where made to me.

Thanks,

Allen

Message 1 of 51
2 Best Answers
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

@rattos @isabelle @goldburger Faheem also cleared up all of the confusion that I have been rolling around in for months now. Thanks @isabelle for clearing that up! I really do appreciate it! It's kind of hard to run your books when you don't know where your money is going. That leads me to my next point... As I spoke about with Faheem. If we were able to see verified email "refunds" on a daily basis... something we could actually track, instead of blowing it to the wind, that would be great. However of course, that would require help from Doordash/Postmates to integrate a bit better with Square and it's services. Each time we call to receive/verify a refund from Doordash, we are left with the "promise" of "we will refund that to you," yet, it's not very reassuring to say the least. Trackability is key! So if that could be resolved soon, that would be amazing.

One additional note Faheem did say that if you email your provider for a delivery refund, they SHOULD send you an "approved" confirmation email... However, I can't use email most of the time because it's all "RIGHT NOW" kind of situations. And US as the business is not going to refund money that we aren't going to get back. 

Thanks for the help! And hopefully we can continue seeing a few improvements here! Would love to keep it going, but it's a bit frustrating at times... Thanks. Anyone else, let me know if you need anything!

View Best Answer >

Message 23 of 51
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @MAXSDELI! I have quite a bit of experience in this area haha. I had my fair share of run arounds with the same problem: where's the money going? 

TL;DR: The money is going back in your account (more than likely). You can find the credits to your account under the Balance tab in the dashboard. They only happen once a month around the 14th. You should see a credit amongst all the other transactional items on one of the days' run-down.

The longer answer: You never will see the money because Square manages an intermediate account on your behalf with DoorDash. So, when you have a delivery order on Oct. 27th, Square automatically takes that money out of your account that same day, though you don't really see it happen. All of it–the driver tip, the cost for doordash delivery, and the Square fee for using On Demand. You can find all of these fee subtractions under reports > Service Charges. 

If there was a messup, you wont be able to see that money until the following month (all refunds are payed back the following month). So let's say you had a mess up on Oct. 27th. After contacting DoorDash, you should see that refund on the 14th under the Balance tab.

Does that make sense?  

View Best Answer >

Message 32 of 51
50 REPLIES 50
Admin

Hey @goldburger 🍔 

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. Sorry to hear about that experience with DoorDash.

I did find the following information on refunds between DoorDash and Merchants:

You can find any error charges by heading to your Merchant Portal. You can download your weekly reports straight to your computer for easy viewing, or by reviewing your Orders tab by selecting a date range between 1-10 day period to report to the Support Team. 

You can also download your Error Report within your Merchant Portal that will list all error charges, along with any feedback left by the customers. For more information, you may review: What is the Error Report?

I hope this helps. This is the resource I found this information at. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 51
Beta Member

@isabelle This has 100% to do with Square because this is 100% an order using SQUARE'S Delivery on Demand function. DoorDash made an error and didn't deliver the food. I refunded the customer because DoorDash has nothing to do with the customer and doesn't have their payment information. Likewise, DoorDash does not have MY bank information, only Square does, since YOU process all the fees to DoorDash YOU must process all the refunds back as well. So, where is my money?

The Merchant Portal has to do with being a Merchant on DoorDash's platform, which is not what's being discussed here.

Message 3 of 51
Admin

I thought you implied you got a refund from DoorDash for an error which would be directly from DoorDash to you, as the merchant. 

All fees that are refunded to you will be credited to and reflected in your Square account within 31 days of a successful appeal. You will receive an email from Square when the credit has been processed. In the event of a cancellation, it is solely your responsibility to determine and pay out the appropriate refund amounts agreed upon between you and your customer per your business’ refund and cancellation policy.

More info here. Have a wonderful Sunday @goldburger.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 4 of 51
Beta Member

@isabelle First, appeals claim with who? Where exactly am I supposed to file an appeals claim here is no link provided? Can you provide any information here on this appeals process? 

Second, based on the link you provided are you saying if DoorDash DOES NOT DELIVER the food that no one bears responsibility except... me?

Let me explain the workflow--

•Customer places order on my Square Site for delivery

•Square removes the delivery fees from the transaction and Square dispatches DoorDash to my restaurant

•DoorDash picks up the food

•DoorDash loses the food, somehow

•Customer calls me saying they never received the food so I refund the order

•I call DoorDash drive support (per Square's instructions) to look for the food and they issue what they are calling a "refund" but since they don't have the customers transaction info they are not refunding them and since they don't have my bank information they are not refunding me so...

•Where is my money?

Message 5 of 51
Admin

All the information I have right now regarding on-demand delivery refunds with DoorDash is within the Support Center article I provided. Sorry about that. Otherwise - please give our Support Team a call so they can locate the funds for you.

I know other sellers within the Community, including @bagelboss @MAXSDELI @tyler @anhmazingfood @vhovar @GeorgeX @ryanwanner @PitmasterPaul have discussed using DoorDash and may have further insight into where to locate these refunds. 

Have a nice Valentines Day! 💕🎉

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 6 of 51
Beta Member

@isabelle  :(

I have two pending refunds from when Postmates was our Delivery on Demand provider in July and October 2020 and zero emails from Square confirming the refunds. I'll contact support, thanks for the help this morning.

Message 7 of 51
Beta Member

Hi @goldburger , I'm wondering if you made any progress in getting refunds from Postmates. This has been a long and frustrating issue that continues to evade resolution. I have about 9 pending refund requests, and apart from initial automated emails from Postmates stating that they are reviewing my request and will follow up soon, I have NEVER heard back from them, and have NEVER received a refund. I have spent a lot of time emailing and calling Square customer support, and was bounced around to several departments before being being told that the integration for refunds/credits between Square and Postmates has not been set up (???) and I would have to get the issue resolved through Postmates who, as you already mentioned in this thread, don't have access to our bank accounts. It seems I've hit a dead end. Are you currently having a better experience with Doordash? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Message 8 of 51
Admin

I can imagine the frustration. If I were a business owner - I would want to know the status of my funds ASAP too @goldburger 🍔😞 

Hopefully some of our sellers will circle back to this thread today and be able to answer this from their own experience:

@bagelboss @MAXSDELI @tyler @anhmazingfood @vhovar @GeorgeX @ryanwanner @PitmasterPaul

Again, happy Valentines day ❤️💕💜💘💛 

Our Support Team will be fully online tomorrow, Monday, and will be open to take a look at your account. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 9 of 51

This is the worst, Ive been dealing with square for a full month to try and get my money back from two refunds.  Doordash paid out the money but square claims they are not able to locate the funds.

Message 10 of 51
Square Community Moderator

I am sorry about this experience @Asiarestaurant. After investigating this for you, I suggest you escalate this with DoorDash because in our system the refund never occurred. Please inform them that you will require confirmation and documentation of the refund happening and any actions you or Square would need to perform for it to get completed on our end.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 51

I have sent in proof of this refund to Square support online multiple times.  DoorDash and I also were on a 3 way call where DoorDash explained the refund process to multiple Square representatives who had no clue on how it works.  I can send you the same proof I sent in to the previous representative.

Message 12 of 51
Square Community Moderator

Have you tried refunding the transactions? I do see that the transactions are still reported as paid on our System. If hour advanced support team has worked on this case they are most likely investigating this for you. No need to send any additional evidence here.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 13 of 51
Super Seller Alumni

I've spoken to numerous square reps about the issue and it seems that none of them seem to know whatsoever. However, after HOURS of bantering back and forth, I along with Square discovered that Square had been MISREPORTING the transactions inside of the Square backend. After communication, they replied to me with a resolution, stating that the issue and accounting problem had been fixed. However, I am still left without clear instructions as to how to see my refunds in my account. Basically, if you think your money will just "get there," It most likely won't. I believed that a few multi-billion dollar corporations could figure out that the money had to be traceable, but when asked, no one knew. Nor do they still. 

@goldburger We have to keep pushing to find a resolution. I have gotten on some calls with some very uninformed Square reps, and a just a few very receptive ones. Most had no clue it was an issue. The only ones who offered help knew it was completely.

@isabelle Who needs to get involved in this conversation to figure this out. I would greatly appreciate if we can escalate this issue and provide some clarity. There needs to be some formal documentation on this that is descriptive of the return and refunding process from providers. One cannot use the system if the money just keeps "disappearing." We are losing our money and losing our time trying to figure out Squares problem. 

Message 14 of 51
Admin

Please reply with a screenshot and the transaction details of a failed delivery that failed to be refunded. I will file a ticket with our Engineering Team to look into it @Devin3627.

Per these instructions:

All fees that are refunded to you will be credited to and reflected in your Square account within 31 days of a successful appeal. You will receive an email from Square when the credit has been processed. In the event of a cancellation, it is solely your responsibility to determine and pay out the appropriate refund amounts agreed upon between you and your customer per your business’ refund and cancellation policy.

It states that you should be receiving an email from Square when the credit is being processed. Have you not received these emails in the past?

Just want to get a really clear picture of the issue prior to filing the ticket with our Engineers to prevent any further frustration 😔  

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 15 of 51
Super Seller Alumni

initial order receipt via square transaction part 1initial order receipt via square transaction part 1initial order receipt via square transaction part 2initial order receipt via square transaction part 2Square Online dashboardSquare Online dashboardDoordash Drive portal refund request postDoordash Drive portal refund request post

@isabelle here are the transaction records as well as the proof of Doordash refund. However, there is no way for me to see where the money is that Doordash said they are going to refund me. It's problematic for a ton of reasons. I was initially told I would receive emails when those refunds were happening etc. AFTER we solved the initial issue with the mistranslations of orders. However, the only emails I have recalled are those that are processed for each days transactions

Message 16 of 51
Admin

Thank you @Devin3627!

I filed a ticket with our Engineering Team ultimately to get answers to the following:

1) Where can sellers rely on to view credits/refunds from DoorDash (and other delivery partners)?

2) Why wouldn't we be sending them an email regarding the credit as suggested in this article?

I will let you know what I find out. Thank you for your patience. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 17 of 51
Beta Member

I got a really bad answer from Square support on this and after an hour of being on the phone and them trying to search transfer reports but they came up short on actually connecting the refunds and all told I have not received any money or emails and thanks for reminding me as it seems support is hoping I just forget about it lol @Devin3627 

Message 18 of 51
Beta Member

@goldburger, @Devin3627, @Isabelle__, @Valentina, @johngray2,

I replied further up in the thread to @goldburger before reading further, so I'd like to recap what I said:

-After being bounced around to different departments in Square Support, and after a rep spent about 15 minutes looking into my dashboard, I was told that the integration between Square and Postmates for refunds/credits has not been set up, and that I would have to escalate the issue with Postmates. Problem is, Postmates doesn't have access to our bank accounts, so how are they going to issue the refund? My guess is that they're not. This is unaccepatable, and Square needs to address the issue immediately. How could Square have launched On-Demand without recourse for the seller community to get refunds for orders that are lost, abandoned, not picked up, or mis-delivered by a delivery partner? As a seller, we refund the entire amount to the customer, including delivery, courier tip, and service charge. Square and Postmates get their money. The seller loses the order, the cost of goods for the order, and the trust of the customer. AND we get to pay Square and Postmates for the inconvenience. WHAT IS SQUARE DOING ABOUT IT??? This is unacceptable and maybe we all need to get on Twitter and let the world know.

Message 19 of 51
Beta Member

Holy cow. It 100% doesn't need to be escalated with Postmates because we do not have a business relationship with Postmates when using Square on demand delivery. Square needs to front the refund and recoup the money from Postmates/DoorDash. I am literally blown away. Classic Square-- implement a new feature without fully thinking about all the angles.

Message 20 of 51
Admin

Hey @Devin3627 @goldburger and @rattos!

I reached out to a team member internally (Faheem), as they are more well versed with the DoorDash integration. I believe they reached out to you last night via phone and email. Were you able to get in touch with them? Were they able to answer some of your questions/concerns? 

Please let me know.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 21 of 51