x

Removing Asking for an address and instead using custom fields

We essentially dropship packages to a set number of locations. So we have zero need for a shipping address, just the name of the place its being shipped to, we would also like the ability to create custom fields for the information we actually require. We are getting around 10-30 calls a day from confused customers. We have directing them all to literally to put the letter a for first name, the letter a for last name, the letter a for address, the letter a for city, and then put a random state and a good zip code, and slowly directing them through the entire process, until they get to the note section to put in the relevant information. I have to call around 50 customers back, because they forgot to input certain information. Its a royal pain, and takes usually 3 hours up of our day. You allow custom fields for customers, why not checkout?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hey @davidgleibs!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community

I can see how that would be confusing for customers. What are you making the fulfilment type for those items? Is it still marked as shipping? 

If you go to Square Online > Settings > Checkout > Advanced settings, you should see the following:

In which it states, The buyer address will be collected during checkout for all item types selected. Address is automatically collected on all physical goods.

Is there any way to change the item type? Let me know! 👩🏼‍💻

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 6

I did a test, where i changed one of my items to Prepared Food and Beverages. Then I unchecked the option for requiring the address. Then I rang up that one item, and it still showed the request for the address. The reason they are all considered shipping is because we need it to add the shipping cost, and that goes by weight currently. 

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Hmmm. Because the buyer address will always be collected during checkout for physical goods, I'm not sure what the solution would be. 

Perhaps some of our Super Sellers will have a suggestion:

@alexandriak @Dbw2048 @Donnie-M @GoGoGuest @Goldneye @GourmetOnWheels @HC_Charlie @homeprogreen @HvBx_WA @JamesSandbar @jjgard @JupiterGames @LocavoreStore @londontea @MAXSDELI @MichiganFarmsta @mooretoys @page158 @porktaco @Ravenssong69 @ryanwanner @sugarlab @TheTShirtLady @VanKalkerFarms @vinesandrushes

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 4 of 6
Super Seller

If it’s physical goods being shipped then it’s going to require the address information from customer. That’s set that way to help combat chargebacks form customers claiming they didn’t receive the goods at the proper address. 2 options I see possible. One would be to have the customers go ahead and enter the proper address for the location then once they get thru that have them enter the actual relevant  information you need in the notes. 2nd would be to mark as digital to avoid the mandatory address information. That should let them skip directly to the notes to give you the relevant information. Haven’t actually tried it so your mileage may vary but can’t hurt to try

Message 5 of 6
Super Seller

Hello, 

As previously mentioned the system is set to request a name an address to prevent charge backs. This is to protect you and your customer. I would suggest having your customer fill in the information for the delivery truthfully so it matches the credit or debit card that is being used. This way IF and and stress IF there is a charge back there is one more level of protection in your favor.

Putting in false or misleading information can lead to a charge back being ruled against you. 

I hope this helps. 

Nate
Message 6 of 6