x

Selling to the EU - IOSS and VAT rates by delivery(shipping) destination

From the 1st July, it looks like I'll need to be registered for the IOSS (Import One-stop shop) to sell to customers in the EU and therefore I'll need to charge the applicable VAT rate for each country I sell in, as per https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/vat/ioss_en

Otherwise my customers may end up paying hefty charges on top of the VAT before goods can be received.

As far as I can see, this is not possible in Square Online. Will this be introduced ahead of the 1st July? If not, then I need start movements to another platform as almost half of my sales are to the EU.

Message 1 of 4
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @JamesCPC and @MJD, thanks for sharing this!

You should be able to add tax rate for each of the country you are shipping to within Square Online site. For example, I currently have 20% tax set for shipping to United Kingdom and 23% set for Ireland.

Screenshot 2021-05-19 at 10.02.33.png

At checkout, depending on my shipping address, the correct tax should applied. Here's how it appears for Ireland:

Screenshot 2021-05-19 at 10.05.09.png

And here's how it appears for the UK:

Screenshot 2021-05-19 at 10.06.06.png

This does mean you'd need to set up all the different country you ship to with its own tax but it'll ensure that the correct tax is being applied.

I hope this will help somewhat!

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

This seems extremely important so itโ€™d be great if @tranguyen could raise this with the appropriate team.

for now, as much as it may not work in the long term, you could up your shipping prices in the countries affected to cover your extra expenses.

otherwise, square may be able to give us more information on this matter and show us how square online will work with changes due to this.

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 2 of 4
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @JamesCPC and @MJD, thanks for sharing this!

You should be able to add tax rate for each of the country you are shipping to within Square Online site. For example, I currently have 20% tax set for shipping to United Kingdom and 23% set for Ireland.

Screenshot 2021-05-19 at 10.02.33.png

At checkout, depending on my shipping address, the correct tax should applied. Here's how it appears for Ireland:

Screenshot 2021-05-19 at 10.05.09.png

And here's how it appears for the UK:

Screenshot 2021-05-19 at 10.06.06.png

This does mean you'd need to set up all the different country you ship to with its own tax but it'll ensure that the correct tax is being applied.

I hope this will help somewhat!

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 3 of 4

Thanks tranguen,

I think I couldn't see those options as I have not yet enabled tax (in the process of becoming VAT registered).

Thanks for your help,

James.

Message 4 of 4