x

Service charge on order for pickup

Hi,

In the online store, is there a way to add a small fee, service charge to an online order that is being picked up? Right now the option is only available for delivery and shipping, but we would like to add a small fee (3-5$) to pickup orders to encourage more items per sale and account for all the preparation time it takes to get orders ready. 

Thanks 

Message 1 of 17
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hello @Ppfb !

I can't find any type of way to add a service fee to pickup orders on the online store. You can add a service fee to deliveries and self-serve ordering, but not for pickup. This would be a feature request, and I'll ping @isabelle here to get it into the queue.

For the time being, as much as we don't like to do it, you may want to consider doing a small price bump across the board to help cover the costs. If you do the math of how many pickup orders you're getting versus total orders, I'd bet you would find that you really only need to bump pricing by a quarter to 50¢ per ticket across the board to make up for it. I don't think many people would notice that small of an increase.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Alumni

There isn't a way to add a service fee for pickup orders at this time. Sorry about that @soleorch

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 17

Hi, I need to add a percentage service fee to my pickup orders placed online. THe option is available for delivery but not for pickup. If this option doesnt become available I will need to switch my POS provider. 

Message 3 of 17

Is there any way to add a flat fee to pickup orders? I don't want to do it as a percentage like a tax or a tip and mess up those number categories. It's really to cover the cost of the extra time and packaging that goes into pickup orders vs an in-store purchase and there doesn't seem to be a way to add this without a huge workaround and messing up our income categories. Hopefully I'm just missing something but this seems like it would be a no-brainer to be able to add a fee to an order if you chose. Anyone figured out how to do this?

Message 4 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Hey @jfgo,

I moved your post to an existing thread where another seller asked the same question.

This isn't something you're able to do at this time in the Square Store.

Happy to pass it forward for you as a feature request but don't have any suggestions on how you'd go about this. 

Ashley C
Message 5 of 17

OK, please do that. This is obviously something people want and wouldn't cause the same compliance issues that using a tax to do this would. Let's make this happen.

Message 6 of 17

We are finding that our costs are increasing significantly with our Online orders for pickup. We have extra labor costs, as well as extra packaging costs.

I would like to add a fixed processing fee to each online order...say..$1 per order to help defray these costs.

I don't want the fee to be charged to in-person sales.

Is there a way to do this?

Message 7 of 17
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hello @Ppfb !

I can't find any type of way to add a service fee to pickup orders on the online store. You can add a service fee to deliveries and self-serve ordering, but not for pickup. This would be a feature request, and I'll ping @isabelle here to get it into the queue.

For the time being, as much as we don't like to do it, you may want to consider doing a small price bump across the board to help cover the costs. If you do the math of how many pickup orders you're getting versus total orders, I'd bet you would find that you really only need to bump pricing by a quarter to 50¢ per ticket across the board to make up for it. I don't think many people would notice that small of an increase.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 8 of 17
Admin

Hey @Ppfb!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community and resurfacing this feature request. 

As of right now, we do not currently have a way to add surcharges or additional fees for online orders. As @ryanwanner mentioned, in the meantime, as a business owner you should feel empowered to adjust your prices as needed.

I will be notifying our Product Teams that we received further interest in a seller created surcharge/service for Square Online. Thanks for your patience! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 9 of 17

Do we know when this will happen. This thread is over a year and a half old. There is a surcharge on every method of payment. We need to add a service charge to compensate. Please escalate this feature.

Kevin

Kevin D Cole
Message 10 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @kdcaseycole42

It looks like this is an option for all types of fulfillment in your Online Store. Check out this Support Article with some more information on adding those "Item Level Taxes". 

When looking at your Square Online Dashboard, it would look something like this: 

Do you see that available on yours? If not, please let me know! I am happy to circle back to help. 

Kassi
Message 11 of 17
Beta Member

This doesn't make sense, how come Square can add a service fee for self serve ordering but not for pickup? its part of the same platform and they are just 2 different fulfillment methods. all this inconsistent pricing is annoying for owners and customers 

Message 12 of 17
Beta Member

Can we expect to see the option to automatically apply a service charge for those of use who are using Square Online anytime soon? 

Message 13 of 17
Super Seller

You can currently apply an automatic tip on delivery and collection orders, alternatively this would be considered a feature request for now, you may however be able to add this as a tax.

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 14 of 17

How do I add a service charge for the online store/online orders?  I set it up in Square, but they do not apply to online orders.  Help please. 

Message 15 of 17
Alumni

Hi there @LPick73 👋 

While there isn't currently a way to set up this specific type of fee, @ryanwanner provided some advice here in this thread.

Valentina
Message 16 of 17

Appreciate it, but not helpful. We need to be able to add a service fee that is separate from item pricing. It has to exist separately for accounting purposes. Please consider adding this soon since it is already part of delivery and self

serve ordering. Should be easy and quick for Square to add. 

Message 17 of 17