x
Super Seller Alumni

Square New Online Store - A Thread of Questions & Answers

Hey Fellow Sellers!

With the launch of the New Square Online Store, the amazing @AdamB from the Weebly Team has kindly offered to answer some of my ridiculously detailed & in the weeds questions, on a thread on this wonderful Seller Community.

So here are my questions, and I'm sure he'd be happy to answer yours too in the comments below!

It might take him some time, since it's all new, so let's be super nice & grateful & patient & excited with the new knowledge of the new product!

1. Customers
1.A. Are customers able to set up Profiles that they can log into & save their information?

1.B. Are customers able to save their credit card information for future purchases?

1.C. Is Apple Pay an option for easy Credit Card information input?

1.D. Is customer information from purchases synced into the Square Customer Directory like the old Online Store?

2. Modifiers

2.A. How do Modifiers sync & import?

2.B. Are there advanced Modifier settings (such as select only up to 2 options)?

3. Loyalty & Marketing Rewards

3.A. Is Loyalty Integrated so that Customers earn points?

3.B. Are Loyalty Rewards integrated so that a customer can use their Rewards?

3.C. Are Marketing Campaign Coupons/Rewards integrated so a Customer can use their 6 digit Birthday or 6 Digit Coupon Code?

4. Items & Reporting

4.A. I know that items & all that integrates, but it says that Categories do not integrate. Why and what are the implications of that?

4.B. When I make a sale of an item, what happens on the Square Reporting side for that item sale? Does it still get sorted into the correct Category, or is a second item in a separate or non existing category created?

5. Order Management

5.A. I know that there is an order Management Page on the Web Dashboard. Do the orders also import into Square POS Orders Tab just like the old online store, where I can manage orders from there? Mark as Ready for Pickup, and Completed?

5.B. Does the customer get an email address and/or text message when the order is placed with their Order/Receipt #?

5.C. When I mark as Ready for Pickup does the customer get a text message at that moment?

6. Site & Domain

6.A. Is the page just a landing page like the old Square Online store, or is it a full website with multiple pages like a Full Weebly store site? 

6.B. What is the default domain look like?
6.C. Is there still a free basic Editable Domain / URL in the basic plan? What does that look like?

6.D. For the higher plan with a complete Custom Domain, how does that work if my site is currently purchased & hosted through Wordpress.com?

7. Gift Cards

7.A. The info says that you can buy & redeem gift cards. I know that both Plastic & eGift Cards can be redeemed. Is it only Buying eGift Cards, or are Plastic Gift Cards also purchaseable through the site?

8. Advanced Plans - Marketing Tools & Insights

8.A. What does the Instagram Integration entail?

8.B. What are the Lead Capture & Contact Forms?

8.C. What are the integrated Facebook Ads?

8.D. What are the site statistics?

8.E. What are the Advanced eCommerce Statistics?

I think that's all for now!

Thanks again so much for all of the help, Adam!
Pesso

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 1 of 58
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

So incredibly, so many new features have been implemented in the new Square Online Store, and since a lot of people are coming to this thread to find their answers, I figured I'd come back here and answer my own questions - most of which are now a big "Yes!"

I've been using the new Online Store for a few months now, and absolutely love it!

I'll continue to update this post as things are added!

So here we go:

1. Customers

1.A. Are customers able to set up Profiles/Accounts?

Customer-Manageable Accounts/Profiles complete with Log-In information are not exactly available yet, but:

1.B. Are customers able to save their credit card information for future purchases?

Yes! Customers are now able to save their Payment information for future purchases through Square Pay, which is attached to their email address. The next time they order, as soon as they enter in their Email Address, they will automatically get a Text Message with a 6-Digit Confirmation code, which once entered will autopopulate the rest of their contact info & payment info.

Yes! Apple Pay and Google Pay are available as easy payment methods!

1.D. Is customer information synced into the Square Customer Directory?

Yes! Customer information after payment is synced into the Customer Square Directory!

2. Modifiers

2.A. How do Modifiers import?

Modifiers are imported directly through Square Sync - easy!

2.B. Are there advanced Modifier settings (select up to 2 options)?

Yes! There are some advanced modifier settings, like Select Up to 2 Options!

Yes! As long as your Point Earnings are not Category Based, Customers can earn points on their Online Store Purchases

Yes! As long as your Rewards are not Category Based, Customers can Redeem their Rewards on their Online Store Purchases

3.C. Are Marketing Campaign Coupons/Rewards integrated so a Customer can use their 6 digit Birthday or 6 Digit Coupon Code?

Yes! Newly created Square Marketing Campaign Coupons & rewards are integrated and work on your Square Online store. 

Other Discounts/Coupons can be also created in the Square Online Overview Page.

4. Items and Reporting

4.A. I know that items & all that integrates, but it says that Categories do not integrate. Why and what are the implications of that?

Categories from Square can sort of sync over, so can either create new Categories on the online store, or port them over. But you don't have to if you don't want to.

4.B. When I make a sale of an item, what happens on the Square Reporting side for that item sale? Does it still get sorted into the correct Category, or is a second item in a separate or non existing category created?

Sales on the Online Store will show up as the standard Square Categories on the Square Reports. 

5. Order Management

5.A. I know that there is an order Management Page on the Square Online Overview Page. Do the orders import into Square POS Orders Tab just like the old online store, where I can manage orders from there? Mark as Ready for Pickup, and Completed?

Yes! Online Store Orders will show up on the Orders Tab on Square POS.

5.B. Does the customer get an email address and/or text message when the order is placed with their Order/Receipt #?

Yes! Customers will receive an email confirmation/receipt with their order information and number.

5.C. When I mark as Ready for Pickup does the customer get a text message at that moment?

Yes! Customers will automatically receive an Email Update when you mark as "Ready for Pickup" and can opt-in to receive a Text Message Update as well.

6. Site & Domain

6.A. Is the page just a landing page like the old Square Online store, or is it a full website with multiple pages like a Standard Weebly store?

You can build either a single page or a full site with multiple pages.

6.B. Is there still a free basic Editable Domain / URL in the basic plan? What does that look like?

Yes! You can set up your custom Square-Hosted Domain - "_____.square.site" with whatever you'd like to fill in the blank.

6.C. For the higher plan with a complete Custom Domain, how does that work if my site is currently purchased & hosted through Wordpress.com?

To quote @AdamB "You can continue paying for your domain through your current Registrar; all you'd need to do is point the domain to us. When you try to connect the domain in your site settings, it should prompt you and tell you what IP address to update your DNS records to." You can also alternatively transfer over your domains to Square Online, which is what I ended up doing.

7. Gift Cards

7.A. The info says that you can buy & redeem gift cards. I know that both Plastic & eGift Cards can be redeemed. Is it only Buying eGift Cards, or are Plastic Gift Cards also purchaseable through the site?

Again to quote @AdamB "We don't currently offer plastic/physical gift cards, although you can use eGift cards that are created through your Square account and use them with the online store: https://www.weebly.com/app/help/topics/gift-cards"

I hope this helps a bunch of people, and let me know if you have any other questions! Happy to help others with the new Online Store!
Pesso

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 58
57 REPLIES 57
Admin

Thanks @pessosices ! I should have it all together by tomorrow. I'm also going to include links to relevant help articles for everyone so they can quickly read more about some of the information I give.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 2 of 58
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

So incredibly, so many new features have been implemented in the new Square Online Store, and since a lot of people are coming to this thread to find their answers, I figured I'd come back here and answer my own questions - most of which are now a big "Yes!"

I've been using the new Online Store for a few months now, and absolutely love it!

I'll continue to update this post as things are added!

So here we go:

1. Customers

1.A. Are customers able to set up Profiles/Accounts?

Customer-Manageable Accounts/Profiles complete with Log-In information are not exactly available yet, but:

Yes! Customers are now able to save their Payment information for future purchases through Square Pay, which is attached to their email address. The next time they order, as soon as they enter in their Email Address, they will automatically get a Text Message with a 6-Digit Confirmation code, which once entered will autopopulate the rest of their contact info & payment info.

Yes! Apple Pay and Google Pay are available as easy payment methods!

Yes! Customer information after payment is synced into the Customer Square Directory!

2. Modifiers

Modifiers are imported directly through Square Sync - easy!

Yes! There are some advanced modifier settings, like Select Up to 2 Options!

Yes! As long as your Point Earnings are not Category Based, Customers can earn points on their Online Store Purchases

Yes! As long as your Rewards are not Category Based, Customers can Redeem their Rewards on their Online Store Purchases

Yes! Newly created Square Marketing Campaign Coupons & rewards are integrated and work on your Square Online store. 

Other Discounts/Coupons can be also created in the Square Online Overview Page.

4. Items and Reporting

Categories from Square can sort of sync over, so can either create new Categories on the online store, or port them over. But you don't have to if you don't want to.

Sales on the Online Store will show up as the standard Square Categories on the Square Reports. 

5. Order Management

5.A. I know that there is an order Management Page on the Square Online Overview Page. Do the orders import into Square POS Orders Tab just like the old online store, where I can manage orders from there? Mark as Ready for Pickup, and Completed?

Yes! Online Store Orders will show up on the Orders Tab on Square POS.

Yes! Customers will receive an email confirmation/receipt with their order information and number.

Yes! Customers will automatically receive an Email Update when you mark as "Ready for Pickup" and can opt-in to receive a Text Message Update as well.

6. Site & Domain

6.A. Is the page just a landing page like the old Square Online store, or is it a full website with multiple pages like a Standard Weebly store?

You can build either a single page or a full site with multiple pages.

6.B. Is there still a free basic Editable Domain / URL in the basic plan? What does that look like?

Yes! You can set up your custom Square-Hosted Domain - "_____.square.site" with whatever you'd like to fill in the blank.

6.C. For the higher plan with a complete Custom Domain, how does that work if my site is currently purchased & hosted through Wordpress.com?

To quote @AdamB "You can continue paying for your domain through your current Registrar; all you'd need to do is point the domain to us. When you try to connect the domain in your site settings, it should prompt you and tell you what IP address to update your DNS records to." You can also alternatively transfer over your domains to Square Online, which is what I ended up doing.

7. Gift Cards

Again to quote @AdamB "We don't currently offer plastic/physical gift cards, although you can use eGift cards that are created through your Square account and use them with the online store: https://www.weebly.com/app/help/topics/gift-cards"

I hope this helps a bunch of people, and let me know if you have any other questions! Happy to help others with the new Online Store!
Pesso

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 3 of 58

@pessosices Thank you for asking the questions and updating with answers. It is very helpful. We switched over to the Square Online Store about 2 weeks ago, and are quite impressed with it.

As a bakery, the "Schedule for later" option in the "Store Pickup" section of Checkout is welcome. However, this function pales in comparison with what I could do with our former Wordpress site with powerful date/time plugins. I would love to see user-control over available single dates and blocks of dates, and even item-specific "Schedule for later" pickup date options.

Also, the "Schedule for later" option is somewhat hidden - many of our online customers don't even know it is available. It may be more clear to the customer to move the "Schedule for later" option to the very first shopping cart page where an item is first added, right after the "Available for pickup" statement after the item quantity is selected, and then have the Checkout Store Pickup section inherit the pickup date/time selection made earlier, with the ability to edit it.

Keep up the good work on the Online Store,  Square Folks!

Message 4 of 58
Super Seller

@pessosices Regarding ApplePay & GPay, there’s something we discovered when toggling those on that could be an issue for folks. 

When we setup our online Store, we toggled on the 10% Tip which is automatically added in the cart and shows up on each receipt. However, when we decided to toggle on ApplePay & GPay as an option, it seems to bypass the cart step altogether and the automatic tip as well. 

This may be an oversight, glitch or disallowed when choosing either of these payment methods but I thought it best to point this out. 

*Great info here, thanks @pessosices 

Max Berkowitz | MAX’S DELI
Square Online Store
Message 5 of 58

I just found out that my old online store is gone. The new one is a mess. Very disorganized. Companies in the wrong place. Wrong home page and more. How can I find out how to fix this? Do I need to start all over from scratch? What a mess. 

Message 6 of 58
Admin

Hey @OlyRotary5020-

We recently migrated previous Online Store users to our new, and updated version of our Square Online Store powered by Weebly. If you're having difficulties setting this up, please contact our Support Team so we can walk you through this new set up. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 7 of 58

I feel the same way! The new store is confusing and nothing is where it used to be. I really don't want to start over and if I have to, I'm just going to pay extra on my website to add my store there. I do not like the new store at all.

Message 8 of 58

So far the new online store looks like a mess and I can't figure out how to fix it. Do I need to start all over? What happened to my old online store? It was working fine. Now it is disorganized and seems very difficult to edit. 

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 58
Admin

Thanks for your patience while I double-checked on some of these. Before clicking links to any help articles, make sure you're logged into your Square account and have clicked the link for online store that sends you over to Weebly.com (this will make sure you get logged into our Support Site properly).

1. Customers

1.A. Are customers able to set up Profiles?

Not at this time for both questions, although I know this is something that we want to add. I don't have an ETA, unfortunately.

This is also not an option right now, although I could see it possibly being added. I haven't heard one way or the other, though. As for other payment methods in general, we do offer PayPal as an additional option you can enable.

Not at this time, though I would expect that this will be the case in the future.

1. Modifiers

Product modifiers sync with your products, although you can make more from within your Square Online Store or within your Square account on existing products - the newly added modifier will sync over. You can also have modifiers where a customer can select more than one option. https://www.weebly.com/app/help/topics/product-modifiers

We don't currently have loyalty integration. You can create coupons within your online store, although these are only for use there and are also not customer-specific (meaning the code would work for whichever customer you gave them to). These can be limited to a specific date range or a number of uses: https://www.weebly.com/app/help/topics/coupons

4. Items and Reporting

Categories in Square are a little different, so you are correct that they don't import. The upside of that is you can set up different categories and subcategories that would be helpful for your customers and then categories things in your Square account that make more sense for your own item management. For example, you can create separate categories for your site like “Special Deals”, or “New Flavors”, etc.

It should still be sorted within your Square category since any categories made in your online store are not brought back into your Square account.

5. Order Management

5.A. I know that there is an order Management Page on the Web Dashboard. Do the orders import into Square POS Orders Tab just like the old online store, where I can manage orders from there? Mark as Ready for Pickup, and Completed?

Yes, orders received through your online store use the same API and should function like any other order.  

Yes; when they place the order they will receive an email confirmation/receipt that includes the order number.

When you change the status to ready it will email the customer to let them know. https://www.weebly.com/app/help/topics/fulfillment-in-store-pickup

6. Site & Domain

You can build a full site and is not limited to a single page.

If you don't have a custom domain, you can use a free subdomain which would have a URL something like "mysite.square.site", or "somethingelse.square.site".

You can continue paying for your domain through your current Registrar; all you'd need to do is point the domain to us. When you try to connect the domain in your site settings, it should prompt you and tell you what IP address to update your DNS records to.

7. Gift Cards

We don't currently offer plastic/physical gift cards, although you can use eGift cards that are created through your Square account and use them with the online store: https://www.weebly.com/app/help/topics/gift-cards

8. Advanced Plans - Marketing Tools & Insights

8.A. What does the Instagram Integration entail?

The current version can pull in images from your Instagram feed and allow you to tie those to products within your store. We have a guide here on that: https://www.weebly.com/app/help/topics/instagram

8.B. What are the Lead Capture & Contact Forms?

Both can be added to a site to collect email addresses from site visitors. These can be brought over to our email marketing tools for creating email campaigns.  https://www.weebly.com/app/help/topics/pop-ups-and-banners

8.C. What are the integrated Facebook Ads?

As part of our marketing tools we also make it really easy to connect to Facebook Ads and run ad campaigns there: https://www.weebly.com/app/help/topics/connect-to-facebook-ads

8.D. What are the site statistics?

8.E. What are the Advanced eCommerce Statistics?

These are all found under the "Insights" item in the menu. This covers analytics for site visitors, sales data, email campaign performance, etc. This is covered in this article: https://www.weebly.com/app/help/topics/insights

Adam
Message 10 of 58
Super Seller Alumni

Thank you so much, @AdamB , for taking the time to respond!

It's really great to have all of this info going into this new Product.

A few follow up questions:

1.D. Customers

So to Clarify, we lose the functionality of the old online store of transactions with customer information syncing over to the Square customer directory?

2.A. Modifiers

If new modifiers are made on the Online Store, does that sync back into the Square Library?

5.C. Order Management & Fulfillment 

1. So to clarify, we lose the functionality of the old online store of when we tap Ready for Pickup on the Orders Tab on the iOS POS app where it currently sends a Text Message, and that is replaced with an email instead?

2. If so, is there any hope of the text messaging returning? Customers are much more likely to see a real time text notification that they can come in to pick up the order (especially for ice cream) than an email. Our customers love our automatic Text functionality, and we really don't want to lose that.

8.B. Lead Capture

1. Will that captured customer information import over to the Customer Directory and make that a Reachable Customer in Square Marketing?
2. If this is the case, then why doesn't customer information from actual sales import over to the Customer Directory? It seems like an incredibly basic feature for Customer Sales info to go into Customer Directory, since every Square transaction does that.

9. Transition 

9.A. For those of us with the old Online Store - what happens?

9.B. Will we be automatically transitioned over to the new site, or have to do it manually?

9.C. When will support for the old store stop? Is there a deadline to switch?

Thanks again!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 11 of 58
Admin

Not a problem! I'm really excited about the new Square Online Store. 🙂

1.D. Customers

So to Clarify, we lose the functionality of the old online store of transactions with customer information syncing over to the Square customer directory?

For the time being, yes, although that should change in the future.

2.A. Modifiers

If new modifiers are made on the Online Store, does that sync back into the Square Library?

Yes, these will sync back.

5.C. Order Management & Fulfillment

1. So to clarify, we lose the functionality of the old online store of when we tap Ready for Pickup on the Orders Tab on the iOS POS app where it currently sends a Text Message, and that is replaced with an email instead?

Yes - when an order is placed through your Square Online Store, it will send an email to the customer but will not text them.

1. If so, is there any hope of the text messaging returning? Customers are much more likely to see a real time text notification that they can come in to pick up the order (especially for ice cream) than an email. Our customers love our automatic Text functionality, and we really don't want to lose that.

I don’t know, though I’ll see if I can find out anything. I agree that’s a great feature and one I’d love to see added even if it wasn’t a feature of OST.

8.B. Lead Capture

1. Will that captured customer information import over to the Customer Directory and make that a Reachable Customer in Square Marketing?
  2. If this is the case, then why doesn't customer information from actual sales import over to the Customer Directory? It seems like an incredibly basic feature for Customer Sales info to go into Customer Directory, since every Square transaction does that.

It does not - the email marketing tools integrated with the new  Square Online Store are totally separate from those in Square Marketing.

9. Transition

9.A. For those of us with the old Online Store - what happens?

9.B. Will we be automatically transitioned over to the new site, or have to do it manually?

We are working on this right now, so I don’t know exactly what this will look like. If you have an Account Manager, I would recommend reaching out to them.

9.C. When will support for the old store stop? Is there a deadline to switch?

This is also something that I can’t give an answer on right now for the same reason mentioned above. We’ll communicate this information to our pre-existing Online Store sellers once we have everything worked out.

Adam
Message 12 of 58
Super Seller Alumni

Ok, cool.  Thanks so much for the info!

There seem to be so many huuuuge improvements over the old online store, and I’m really excited to see the huge impact this new system is going to have on so many sellers!!

Even though there are some great improvements of the new store over the old one (customizing modifier selection being key for us, better layouts & integrations, and just a much more modern site system), I think for now personally I’m going to wait to switch over until the some more features from the old store are matched in the new store. If I didn’t use the old store, I would jump on in a heartbeat!!

Specifically importing Customers from transactions and Lead Capture into the Square directory & marketing, which seems like a pretty key feature for me. I’m paying a decent amount of money for square marketing and don’t want to risk both doubling my work and risking sending double emails to some of my customers by using the Weebly email marketing too. Or going through exporting and importing. 

And ideally that feature of text notifications of orders being ready for pickup is a huge thing that my customers love. 

Once at least the customer directory sync is live, then I’ll switch over. 

It seems like this integration of weebly & square is still in the early stages, and it’s a great first step, and I’m really excited to see it grow and be a part of it! It’s just a little bit too early for me to hop on and lose the huge integration of the old store & miss the complete synergy that lives between the other Square products. 

Thanks so so much for the info, and I would love to see updates on these things as they come and jump on in once they’re here!

Thanks again so much, @AdamB !!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 13 of 58
Admin

That makes sense, @pessosices. It's off to a really great start and will continue to grow and integrate even more than it is right now. Thank you again for your questions!

Adam
Message 14 of 58
Super Seller Alumni

Yes it is! I’m super excited for it!!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 15 of 58
Super Seller Alumni

Happy to announce that I just switched over to the new Weebly based Square Online Store now that a bunch of those features have launched! Can’t wait to re-open for the season to see how my customers like it and get some orders going! I’m expecting a whole lot more orders now that Apple Pay and saving credit cards  are options!

Still looking forward to hopefully Loyalty integrating soon, as well as automatically importing customer info into the Square Customer Directory!

Thanks again for all the help!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 16 of 58

@AdamB,

@pessosices has asked some great questions about the new online store.

Can you follow up on this thread when the features that have not yet been implemented are live?

In particular, I am interested in customer information entered in the online store syncing over to the Square customer directory.

Thank You

Message 17 of 58

Hello - we have just linked our Square online store to Facebook but don't want all of our items to display on Facebook (we are a business with three parts: cafe, retail and play). I only want the retail items to show in the FB shop.  How do I edit this without completely messing up by square item catalog?

Message 18 of 58
Beta Member

Is there a pay at pickup option? 

Message 19 of 58
Admin

Not at this time @GRUBBINGRINGOS but it's a popular request for the New Online Store. We'll share any future updates here in the Community! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 20 of 58

Is there a way to customize a specific pick up date for items that are for sale?  I am doing a pre-sale right now and there is no way to set it for 11/24?  Thank you @Helen 

Message 21 of 58