x
Beta Member

Square Online + 3rd Party Delivery Integration

I have a restaurant that does significant online volume and we also use square POS in store so we would love to be able to use Square Online. It looks professional, has the basic features needed and most importantly, syncs to our in store POS for data and rewards. But here are the drawbacks we see right now that make it an unwise decision to switch over.

- Square Online is unbelievably slow. customers are not that patient and would much rather use a food delivery app than a clunky and slow website. So its our job as restaurateurs to develop websites/apps that come close to matching the ease of use of the main delivery apps.

- The integrations with Doordash and Postmates are pretty buggy and non reliable - 1 of our test orders had us waiting for several hours for a courier, it just remained "pending" until we cancelled it (from Doordash specifically). Are people working on these integrations?

- every test order we put in we get duplicate text messages saying the same thing. So right after we place a test order we get a text saying thank you for the order and providing a delivery time estimate and a link. But then, 3 minutes later, it sends literally the exact same text (obviously a glitch). Sometimes it happens up to 3 times. And in case you are wondering, we know the difference between order confirmation messages, courier picked up messages and courier dropped off messages, but this isnt that. This is 2-3 of the same exact message confirming the order. Obviously this is a pretty unprofessional and quite frankly (from a customers perspective) annoying. 

- there is no way for customers to input delivery instructions during checkout

- no real time tracking of delivery drivers. i feel like for the price they are charging, there should be real time tracking for both employees and customers

- normal delivery times in are area are 30-45 min on all the apps. Upon checking out a test order today, we were quoted 90 minutes. Maybe this is just the high end part of the range but it doesn't say that. Just said it would be delivered in 90 minutes. But then it was actually delivered in 45 minutes, so it seems like the courier time estimates are way off. This would scare a lot of customers away if they see delivery is going to take 1.5 hours. 

I hope there is some serious progress coming to both square online and the delivery integrations because at this time, they seem more like a beta product instead of a finished product. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hey @organico

Thanks for your feedback. We like to hear about our Seller's experience to better our products and services. We will make sure to pass this on to our product team to consider working on such needed delivery services. 

Overall, we are happy to hear that you are giving Square an opportunity. 

Have a great day. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

Thanks Sayra, more feedback below. In order to provide better food ordering experience for customers, we need the following:

1.) All modifiers groups should fully expanded for online ordering. Right now, some of the modifier groups under our menu items are contracted (only showing modifier group name but not showing the actual options) and some of them are expanded (showing the modifier group name as well as the modifier options). Its extremely confusing visually and seemingly without reason why some modifier groups are contracted and some are expanded.

2.) there needs to be a way to edit the item and all chosen options once an item is added to the cart. Right now it becomes uneditable once added to the cart which is extremely frustrating after taking all the time to fill out all the options then having to start over.

3.) I'd love to include screenshots so you know what I;m talking about but don't see an option.

Right now the functionality is not up to the level needed to convince customers to order from our square online store instead of a doordash or uber eats so we won't switch until these changes are made. Although we are excited for when we can actually use square online since it'll bring everything in house and under the square roof from our POS to square online.

Hope this helps,

Message 3 of 4
Beta Member

Hi. As noted above we are a busy digital first restaurant that would like to use Square Online to fulfill delivery orders with its integration to Doordash and/or Postmates. However, the integration is super glitchy. Including sending multiple duplicate confirmation orders, sometimes not dispatching a driver, and most recently, we just received a text message saying "your order has been delivered". This was from a test order on 7/12/21. It is now 8/10/21. So any customers using Square Online to order local delivery will get bombarded with duplicate messages up to 1 month after the actual order took place. Is there anybody working on this? It seems like it'd be a top priority if you want restaurants to use Square Online. And its such basic glitches, not like I'm digging real hard to find unimportant bugs. These glitches are major issues for customer experience. I haven't heard anything back regarding product timeline. Please elaborate so we know if we should be looking elsewhere. We'd love to stay within the square eco-system but Square Online (and especially the local delivery integrations) are not up to par. Can someone please respond with an update here?

Message 4 of 4