x
Beta Member

Switching Online Store Domain

Currently, I am using an Square Subdomain for my online store. I was thinking about switching it to another outside hosted domain. If I do this and a customer puts in the Square Subdomain after the switch will it still go to the Correct Site?

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Cwkjk!

When a seller changes from a free subdomain to a custom domain name (and importantly does not unpublish in between), we automatically forward the old subdomain to the custom domain. Is that what you're asking? 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Admin

Hey @Cwkjk

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community

That would be up to you to ensure that your previous subdomain with Square points to your new domain. Where/what host are you planning on purchasing your new domain from? 

Take a look here for information on transferring your domain away from Square.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 2 of 11
Beta Member

To clarify, I am using the free Square subdomain, not my own. Will that square.site domain point to the site still?

Message 3 of 11
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Cwkjk!

When a seller changes from a free subdomain to a custom domain name (and importantly does not unpublish in between), we automatically forward the old subdomain to the custom domain. Is that what you're asking? 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 4 of 11

This did not happen for me, square deleted my subdomain and now the new domain i bought w/ square cannot be indexed on google. because google keeps saying my new domain is a duplicate but the square subdomain is now a 404 error page on google search. What a mess, i cried all night long because all my 2 yrs of hard work building my seo and website is now gone and i cannot figure out how to fix this mess. At this point im not being found on google so i might as well trash my square account and go elsewhere.

Message 5 of 11

Hello Olive,

I did not unpublish in between. How do I forward my old subdomain to my custom domain? 

Message 6 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Prissy-CCT-SS - Thanks for reaching out to us with your question. I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

If you are still having trouble after trying @isabelle's steps above, I suggest that you reach out directly to our Support Team for further assistance with your domain.

The best way to reach out is by phone because our team can look at your account with you and help you make adjustments in real-time. If you haven't already, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 11

Hi Alanah,

Thanks for responding.

My situation was resolved. My problem was once I completely transferred my custom domain over to Square I was unable to Publish to my custom domain, only to my Square subdomain (square.site).

I actually contacted a Square representative who was very knowledgeable, patient and extremely helpful. Erika M., Square Online & Weebly Customer Success walked me through the steps.
I had to purchase the Personal Plan which allowed me to Publish to my custom domain - removing the Square subdomain…yay!!!

Everything is now good!

Thanks so much.

Message 8 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi again @Prissy-CCT-SS 👋

So glad to hear that you were able to get in touch with the Square Online Support team and that you had a great experience! Shoutout to Erika 💫 I'll be sure to forward your kind words to them 🙂

Please feel free to reach out to us again here in the Seller Community if there is anything we could help with!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 11

Hi

I am planning on upgrading my account to get a custom domain. A lot of people still use my old .sqare.site domain. Is there a way i can redirect users who go to the free domain to the new paid custom domain?

Message 10 of 11
Admin

Hey @curlsandcuts ✂️ 

Please take a look at my best answer in this thread. It should have the answer you're looking for 👩🏼‍💻

Hope to see you around the Seller Community more!  💫

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 11 of 11