x

Transfer domain away from Weebly/Square?

How do we transfer our domain away from Weebly? I saw some old threads about this topic but it tells the user to go to a domain link in the top left of the dashboard that no longer exists. Thanks.  

Message 1 of 25
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Transfer domain away from Weebly

Hey @provisionsxsb-

When you log into your account in the Dashboard, and select the Online Store icon, you should see a link on the top left for "Domains".

Click on that and you should see your domain listed. Click on the "..." button to the right of your domain and choose "Manage". You should see a link on the top right of the page that loads which you can use to unlock the domain and get the EPP code.

Does that help? Let me know! 💡

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @QLaupua

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. I think my previous instructions refer to transferring your domain away from Weebly specifically, and not Square Online. I'm assuming you're looking to transfer your domain away from Square, is that correct?

If so, here are the instructions to transfer your domain to another host outside of Square:

1. Go to the Domain area of your Square Online Overview page.

2. Select the domain you want to work with.

3. Unlock your domain for transfer and generate your Auth Code (also known as an EPP Code, or Transfer Code) by selecting Disable under Registrar Lock.

4. Copy and use the Auth Code as needed to start the transfer process with the new host. The rest of the transfer process will take place with your newly chosen registrar, so please refer to them for further instructions.

You are also welcome to simply update your domain's nameservers to provide a new host with full DNS control. Changing your nameservers can sometimes involve less hassle than transferring it.

Note: Making any changes to your registrant contact information (email, phone number, first/last name, address) will result in a 60 day registrar lock, during which you will be unable to transfer your domain. If you wish to transfer the domain completely now, please do not update your registrant information.

I've pulled these instructions from this Support Center article. Please take a look there if you have any additional questions.

If I've totally misunderstood you and your question is actually about transferring your domain away from Weebly, please reply back in this thread. Thank you! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

I paid for my domain name for two years. I need to cancel my website so I can transfer my domain to a new hosting service. 

Message 2 of 25
Admin

Hey @breed-

Please take a look at my best answer in this thread on how to transfer your domain away from Square/Weebly. After that, you can unpublish your site. 

Is that what you mean? Let me know! 👀

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 3 of 25
Admin

Hey @provisionsxsb-

When you log into your account in the Dashboard, and select the Online Store icon, you should see a link on the top left for "Domains".

Click on that and you should see your domain listed. Click on the "..." button to the right of your domain and choose "Manage". You should see a link on the top right of the page that loads which you can use to unlock the domain and get the EPP code.

Does that help? Let me know! 💡

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 4 of 25

Hi!

I have a domain through Weebly bought a year ago and I just renewed it (today). I have never really done anything with it and decided to go with a different website builder other than weebly. Can anyone walk me through how to transfer the domain?

Message 5 of 25
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @wagnertina73 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! We are happy to have you join us here.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also inquiring about information regarding transferring their domain outside of Weebly and onto another platform. Take a look at this Best Answer from Isabelle. She will provide some details to help walk you through the process!

Let me know if you have any clarifying questions. We are here to help! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 25

I am trying to transfer my domain, this process that is listed under "best answer" does not seem to be the process any longer. When I select the "..." the option offered is "delete".

Message 7 of 25
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @QLaupua

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. I think my previous instructions refer to transferring your domain away from Weebly specifically, and not Square Online. I'm assuming you're looking to transfer your domain away from Square, is that correct?

If so, here are the instructions to transfer your domain to another host outside of Square:

1. Go to the Domain area of your Square Online Overview page.

2. Select the domain you want to work with.

3. Unlock your domain for transfer and generate your Auth Code (also known as an EPP Code, or Transfer Code) by selecting Disable under Registrar Lock.

4. Copy and use the Auth Code as needed to start the transfer process with the new host. The rest of the transfer process will take place with your newly chosen registrar, so please refer to them for further instructions.

You are also welcome to simply update your domain's nameservers to provide a new host with full DNS control. Changing your nameservers can sometimes involve less hassle than transferring it.

Note: Making any changes to your registrant contact information (email, phone number, first/last name, address) will result in a 60 day registrar lock, during which you will be unable to transfer your domain. If you wish to transfer the domain completely now, please do not update your registrant information.

I've pulled these instructions from this Support Center article. Please take a look there if you have any additional questions.

If I've totally misunderstood you and your question is actually about transferring your domain away from Weebly, please reply back in this thread. Thank you! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 8 of 25

The above answer doesn't apply to me. I have a website built with and hosted by weebly. My business does not sell things from this website. It truly is an informational website, and it's through weebly (even though I know weebly is now, unfortunately, Square). I have built a new website with GoDaddy and I now I need to transfer my domain name to them in order to activate it. How do I do this?

I should add that although I will not have any websites hosted by Square, I will continue to use Square POS services. 

Message 9 of 25

Welcome back to the Community @danpink

Since you're trying to transfer your domain to GoDaddy, I would recommend reaching out to our CS Team directly: 1-855-700-6000. 

They will be able to dig and provide the best next steps for the transfer. 

Kassi
Message 10 of 25

I am trying to use a domain I purchased thru Square for my shopify store I have built. Do I use the generic CNAME shops.myspotify.com, or if I already have a specific one (mine is sick-dye.myshopify.com) do I use that?

Message 11 of 25

Entering your specific CNAME should be fine, @SickDye! Please let us know how you go. 

Message 12 of 25

I have a free Weebly site - I am a teacher.  I received an email to update to Square but I don't know how to update to a free Square account.  It keeps asking me for pay information.

Message 13 of 25

Hello there @Cath1 can you elaborate on what you mean by pat information? Also, can you share your Domain or URL here? I would like to look closer into this for you.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Message 14 of 25

Does this mean that our domain will not be accessible for 60 days? All of my registration is up to date/never changed. 

Message 15 of 25

Hi @delaneyrmorse - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

Great Question. You are correct.

Under the existing iCANN transfer policy, you will not be able to move it to another registrar within 60 days.

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Message 16 of 25

So i have taken these steps to transfer my domain out of Weebly. I was given an authorization code which doesnt work. I've utilized the amazing Chat option on godaddy and after trouble shooting it was decided it is on square/weebly side. I go into the domain area in my weebly account to see if i can trouble shoot and my domain is no longer there. It would lead you to believe that i would be able to transfer it over, but alas there seems to be something locked on square/weebly side of things. Is there anyone that can actually help with this?

Message 17 of 25
Admin

Oh no! Sorry to hear about that.

What is your URL @TwistedBritches

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 18 of 25

I need to unlock my domain so I can move it to Wix.

Message 19 of 25

Hi there, @moorechiro 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! We are happy to have you join us. We hope this space can prove to be a valuable resource whilst growing your business with Square! Welcome. 

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding unlocking domains for transferring outside of Weebly. Take a look at this helpful resource from our Support Center! It will give you a full walk-through for unlocking and transferring your domain. 

I hope this information is helpful! Feel free to reach back out if you have any clarifying questions. We are here to help! 

Joe
Message 20 of 25

How long does it take for Square/Weebly to release the domain when transferring?  I have taken all of the steps and my new domain manager says it is still pending from Weebly.  From what I have read, the process can take a few days- but this is my work account and I really can’t have my email down…does the website stay active during the transfer?

Message 21 of 25