x
Admin

What content should you have on your homepage?

One of the most important pages of any website is the homepage. It’s the first page any visitor will see, and it heavily influences whether or not a person will continue looking at your site or if they leave. And even more importantly, it can affect whether someone makes a purchase or not.

Small, medium, or large?

First things first, let’s talk more broadly about your homepage. Just how much content should you have there? There’s no quick answer to this question. Instead, take a mobile-first approach. This means approaching your design as though all your visitors will be using mobile devices. As you build your homepage, check it out periodically on your own mobile device. How long does it take you to scroll through everything; how quickly does it load? The answer to those questions will tell you when you have reached an appropriate amount of content.

Chunkify Your Homepage

Our brains absorb information best through a process called “chunking.” You can make the most of this on your homepage by separating your content into individual sections. To further amplify this effect, use different backgrounds in alternating sections (such as black for one section, white for the next, then black, and so on).

Site Navigation Seven

Short-term memory in humans can generally hold about 5 to 9 items total, with 7 being the magic number. This means that ideally, you won’t have more than 7 different links in your site navigation. If you want to include more than that, consider using submenus. Be sure to limit the number of items in a submenu, too. 

Above the Fold

The “fold” is the point at which you have to scroll to see more content. Anything above the fold is what you see when the page first loads, and anything below the fold is only seen once you scroll. It’s a unique term for a unique situation! 

You have about 500ms before a visitor forms an opinion about your site, so above the fold content is your biggest opportunity to grab their attention. Choose an eye-catching-image, and add a CTA (call-to-action) button. This makes your above-the-fold content action-oriented, and more likely to get a visitor to do more than just read.

No really, Adam, what content should you add?

In keeping with chunking, you can add small bits of information from the rest of your website. For example, featured items and categories, stories, customer reviews - these are all content that can provide a lot to look at without being overwhelming. If you use Instagram, then adding the Instagram section is also a fantastic addition. The content of that section will be dynamic and different every time someone visits your website. 

You should also think about what customers may want to quickly find, such as a contact form for easy communication and a map with your location address and hours.

Put Your Best Footer Forward

Last but not least, let’s talk about your footer. Despite the importance of above-the-fold content, your footer is also very important. 22% of visitors will scroll straight to the bottom of your site, so building a solid footer is important. Include links to your social media profiles if you have them, and add links to important pages of your site. 

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Super Seller Alumni

I'm working on making my homepage more CHUNKY 🤣

Thanks for the awesome info, @AdamB !

Emily ( she / her )
The Violet Fox Bookshop
https://thevioletfoxbookshop.square.site
Message 2 of 28
Beta Member

Your welcome.

Message 3 of 28
Super Seller

High-5 At the last pun. 🤣, Very good info here to anyone building or tweaking their website.

Google page speeds kill me on the layout shifts for website,(84) but mobile (97)is fine, So i'm not touching that anymore and my OCD will have to deal with orange score on website

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 4 of 28
Beta Member

What is OCD and why is the layout shift important? What is the score suppose to look like on the layour shift for the wbesite?

Message 5 of 28
Super Seller

Great advice....Thanks

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 6 of 28
Beta Member

What did you get out of the advice that was typed? I want to know what was really said of the statement to you.

Message 7 of 28
Super Seller Alumni

This is a fantastic guide, thanks so much @AdamB !

Im definitely going to do a deep dive in soon and revamp my homepage a bit with these tips. Thanks again! 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 8 of 28
Beta Member

I am doing the same thing but in time not this year of the beginning of the next year. I am resting a bit then I am going to sworm at it. Then I am going to help some people develop there business up to sworm as well.

Message 9 of 28

Thanks for sharing. 

Message 10 of 28
Beta Member

I agree completely!

Square should heed this advice from their community manager.  Here is where I go off topic...

The Square User Community should be able to choose and arrange our own widgets on our Square for Retail Dashboard.  Why does "Popular topics from the Seller Community" rate above the fold when I need to scroll down to see my "Top categories by sales" and "Top items by sales"?

Respectfully...

MyVintageVinyl_0-1639787958994.png

Message 11 of 28
Admin

Solid feedback, @MyVintageVinyl. A customizable dashboard would be pretty helpful for sellers and save a lot of time.

Adam
Message 12 of 28
Beta Member

So true I do agree. One that is more in squared off and leverage how they display to make you want to choose an account with them.

Message 13 of 28
Beta Member

your right there is too much umm shall I say crap on the Square Dashboard.

Message 14 of 28
Beta Member

@cashaber thanks for your succinct summary of my post.  The English teacher in me still uses too many words.

Message 15 of 28
Beta Member

Do you have any sales at all and how do you go about getting your clients? By email, calling, texting, Facebook or what?

Message 16 of 28
Beta Member

@tanyamwillis 

Yes... we have sales AND clients and are delighted with the Square Retail platform.

Since we are old school and sell used vinyl records, our primary communication channel with Customers is printed advertising (believe it or not... placemat ads in the local diner), church/synagogue/mosque bulletins and we throw in a regular staple of radio advertising since we are a music store.

We also recognize the 21st Century is somewhat important and do FB/Instagram posts in addition to hanging fliers on the bulletin boards of our local Community College and University.

Message 17 of 28
Beta Member

The “fold” is the point at which you have to scroll to see more content. Anything above the fold is what you see when the page first loads, and anything below the fold is only seen once you scroll. It’s a unique term for a unique situation! 

This is true but your 50ms to form an opinion is incorrect. A visitor to your website takes about 7 secs not 50ms (The human brain can not comprehend that quickly)  to decide to stay on your page or move on to another. A Call to action being a link or displaying "Call Now, Learn more" etc... requires your visitor to. be attracted to your site in the first place. A Call to Action link would be the second thing to display after you have caught their interest .

Btw that link you have in the 2nd paragraph does not work. Interest lost!

This would be better described as Catching your visitor(s).

Message 18 of 28
Admin

Thanks for catching that - it's a typo and should be 500ms. Do you have a source for your 7-second figure? I'm more than happy to update and include that if you have something I can link to for further reading.

Which link are you having trouble with in the second paragraph? Is it the one about chunking, or the one about adding sections to pages of a Square Online site?

Adam
Message 19 of 28
Super Seller

All your links worked for me! (I'm using Chrome and logged into the community if that helps ya troubleshoot) 

Andrea with Kei Collective - an artist collective with a shop in Phoenix, AZ

We're a Square Super Seller - We're here to help!
Message 20 of 28
Admin

Thanks for checking and confirming the links, @keicollective!

Adam
Message 21 of 28