x
Beta Member

"Track Stock" option regularly becomes disabled in square online

At the start of each week we check our inventory and set the Square Register with the correct stock of what we'll have for the coming weekend. Frequently this means we have items with stock set to 0.

Square Online is configured to sync products and inventory with Square Register.

Square Online constantly disables the "Track Stock" option for the online store items, so customers can still purchase items, even when their stock is set to 0. This is incredibly frustrating and makes us look like fools even though we ensured our item stock was set correctly. Square's ability to sync with its own web store function is very unreliable.

I think it's a bare minimum expectation that products and their configuration and inventory correctly sync between the register and online store, yet that's failing here.

We also randomly find that in the online store tax is disabled on products. We go through and re-enable it one by one, then a week or two later, we'll find it disabled again. The government is going to love that excuse.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Alumni

@lemondogs

While the POS still allows out of stock items to be sold, Square's Online Store doesn't - customers will see an out of stock message when adding the item to their cart.

With Square sync turned on, adding stock on the POS side will reflect in the Online Store too. 

Are you saying that customers are able to with the Online Store? Just trying to get clarity to figure out what's going on. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

Hey Justin,

Yes.

When we run out of an item we make sure it’s inventory is set to 0 in the POS app. 

These inventory items are on the online store as well and are 100% configured to track stock. The online store is also configured to sync inventory. 

After we have set the inventory to 0 we assume that customers can no longer purchase that item with the online store. 

We’ll then receive an online store order with that item in it. When we check why, Square online has changed our “track stock” value for the item to no. It was 100% enabled previously. (We know because sometimes we remember to test it and others we don’t) 

if we then go to enable “track stock” again, it knows the correct stock value from the POS.

So, square online is randomly setting our products to no longer track stock, causing orders to be placed for items we do not have in stock. 

inventory numbers themselves remain synced. But the “track stock” option turns itself off randomly in square online. 

Message 3 of 4
Alumni

Hmm, that doesn't sound right. Inventory tacking shouldn't phantomly disable. I suggest reaching out to Ecom Support during normal biz hours so they can access your account settings on the back end and file a ticket for Engineers to take deeper look. 

@lemondogs

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4