x
Beta Member

"shipping method is no longer available"

We've had two separate customers trying to order a shipped item through our online store in the last week say that when they attempted to check out they got an error, "Selected Shipping method is no longer available, please select a new shipping method." There aren't any other methods available and we're not sure what is causing this. Is there a setting we're missing?Re Online order.png

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

HI, I just added a shipping item and was able to select Free Shipping successfully.  I believe you would need to activate the Abandoned Cart option.  When an item is not purchased and left in the cart it will not process when the customer returns without the Abandoned Cart activated.

Here are the breadcrumbs and screenshot to locate.

Online Dashboard, Settings, Abandoned Cart

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 3.22.39 PM.png

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 2 of 27
Beta Member

So this is only an issue when people leave something in their cart and come back in the future?

Message 3 of 27

HI, I believe that was an issue on a free plan because abandoned cart is an upgrade.  You have a .com on your site so you are on an upgraded site.  So this may be a recent situation with checkout.  Previous item I attempted to checkout was still in the cart just now and the system allowed me to select the shipping option.  May just be user error.

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 4 of 27
Beta Member

I would say that too but two different people had the same issue within a couple days?

Message 5 of 27
Admin

Hey @MeatsnFoods! I would go ahead and flag this over to our Support Team if it's still an issue. They can check it out on the back end.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 6 of 27
Beta Member

Just got another customer who got the same issue. How do I send this to support? We're definitely losing sales because of it.IMG_4769.jpg

Message 7 of 27

I have had a couple customers trying to place an order and are getting an error message saying selected shipping method is no longer available.

I have tried myself and got the same thing.  I have shipping and also local delivery/pickup checked for each item.  I'm not sure how to fix this.

Message 8 of 27
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @barkleysbakery1

Thank you for posting in the Community. It's good to see some new faces here!

Is this happening with all items or is it happen specific ones?

Do you have shipping selected as one of your checkout options? It would be under Settings > Checkout. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 27

I just opened my store last night. I did a test buy that worked fine but when a friend tried to order his wife a pair of earrings, he also go the shipping method no longer available message. Any ideas how to correct this would be appreciated

Message 10 of 27

Hey @barkleysbakery1 and @TJ314,

I moved your posts to an existing thread that brought up the same issue. 

There's some seller discussion on here on what they did to fix this. It looks like @MeatsnFoods spoke with our CS E-Comm team here to figure out what was wrong.

Ashley C
Message 11 of 27

Hello there

I am having the same issue in my store, 2 customers have reported this, but I am unable to reproduce it myself. They are getting the same error message as shown in this thread.

Is there an identified fix, or should I be speaking with the support team?

Thanks for your help.

Message 12 of 27

Welcome to the Community, @ChiekoG -

Thank you for reaching out about this too! I am going to suggest reaching out to our CS Team directly, so they can gather all of the necessary information on what's going on. 

Also, they have the ability to file a ticket with our engineers - if needed. 

Kassi
Message 13 of 27
Beta Member

Our online store is having this same problem. I first heard about it a month ago from a customer but at that stage it seemed to be an isolated experience but recently multiple differing customers are having this. We raised it with Square a week and a half ago but we only know that it's been raised with tech. It seems like this is something beyond us. The frustrating thing is we're seeing a massive increase in our bounce rate as we drive people to the page only to hit this problem. Really interested to learn if this could be solved as we're losing custom on it. 

Message 14 of 27

I'm sorry you are feeling frustrated, @SamRead

I was able to confirm that the issue you described has been escalated as a bug. Unfortunately, I'm not able to provide an eta at this time. 

For what it's worth, I was able to see a shipping charge on your checkout page. Do you happen to know if people are using the suggested address that populates when entering the address details? There should be a dropdown that appears to allow you to select the valid address. 

Can you also confirm if the people reporting the error are returning customers? 

Message 15 of 27
Beta Member

The most frustrating thing has been not being able to replicate the fault ourselves, but seeing it from our customers (another two today). 

The issue seems arises with new customers and returning customers alike. Can't say if they've all used the suggested address but I would assume they do. 

We've been selling tickets to an online event over the site but our hunch is many people who were buying casually and been rejected have simply opted not to buy. 

Message 16 of 27

That can definitely cause frustration. The engineers are actively discussing the bug, and I'll let you know if I hear of any updates. 

Edit to add: I just realized you mentioned tickets. Is this error only happening when people are purchasing a specific item? If so, can you post a link to that online event? 

Message 17 of 27
Beta Member

Hi Bernadette. If only it just applied to one item. Unfortunately this is still happening to all items on our site. A third of customers seem to have it happen and leave (based on our bounce rate).  Hoping there's a fix soon so we retain some online custom!

Message 18 of 27

I'm sorry to hear, but thank you for confirming. I'll keep an eye out for any updates on the bug.

Message 19 of 27
Beta Member

tech found the fix--there had been a change that now requires you to include shipping options, which had caused the issue.

Message 20 of 27

Hi.  I encountered this with a customer today and found this thread.  We are a volunteer parent group for a school using the free version of square.  As a former longtime IT person, I thought I would add this observations, which I got from a parent attempting to order items...

This particular person had many instances of the shopping cart/site ordering pages open in tabs in her browser.  Since some of the early speculation on this seemed centered around the abandoned cart feature, I thought I should make mention that you may wish to test for some correlation between multiple tabs open and this error appearing.  

Also, if site navigation is not set-up to where you can move easily from adding one product to a cart, back to a list of products and then adding another, that user flow experience might actually lend itself to customers opening multiple instances of a page.  

I would suggest guiding the development team toward looking at what happens if you have a number of tabs open with the cart or site orders in it.  It may provide further insight into a faster solution.  Hope this helps!  (- Mike)

Message 21 of 27