x
Beta Member

"there are no items in your shopping cart"

My customers keep getting a message that says "there are no items in your shopping cart" when they try to check out

Is this happening to anyone else? 

it's really unfortunate timing because Valentine's is our biggest day of the year. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Same thing was happening to me, but I think I figured out what the problem was. First of all, I'm using Weebly to host my store (which Square just bought), so not sure if it's a Weebly specific problem. But I had recently purchased a new URL that I was using to forward to my store. I had the forward set to "mask", meaning it showed the new URL name in the browser instead of the "real" URL of the store. When I disabled masking for the URL forwarding (in godaddy), it immediately solved the problem.  I figured it out when I noticed that the masked URL showed a Not Secure notification in one of my browsers. So, I'm assuming that's the problem with using a masked forward. Perhaps there's a way to provide a secure forward using an SSL certificate, but for now, I'm just having the forward send people to my old store address. 

e.g.: My store is www.ocalasgoodlife.com/cepnetwork and I purchased a new URL, www.cepnetworkmag.com and set it to masked forward. So when people went to cepnetworkmag.com the browser displayed ** cepnetworkmag.com **  while they were on ocalasgoodlife.com/cepnetwork. But that since it was lacking the https: (meaning, it was SECURE), it messed up the ability to add items to the sopping cart. As soon as I removed the masked forward, the shoping cart worked again.

Message 2 of 5
Square Community Moderator

This was exactly the reason, @OGLmagazine

The SSL will not work for a domain that is forwarding with masking. Did you purchase a new domain to use in addition to the first domain, or are you planning on getting rid of the original domain at some point? 

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community! 🎉

Message 3 of 5

I purchased the new domain to use in addition. So, I suppose I'll just use it as a traditional forward (no masking) for now. 

So, kudos for me for figuring it out!  Thanks for confirming it. I'm by no means a website expert. I just had a hunch when I saw "Not Secure" warning in MS Edge. 

Message 4 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Yes, kudos definitely deserved! 🥳

Message 5 of 5