x
Beta Member

Feature Request: Search Menu Items in Online Order Layout

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Search Menu Items in Online Order Layout]

Has there been any update on whether a search feature will be added to aid businesses with large menus using your very convenient online ordering menu. It just isn't user friendly especially as I am expanding my menu, and the normal catalogue look doesn't really suffice. It's ugly and I don't like the feature that everytime you click on an item it takes you to the product page.

I'm sure a lot of us would like a search bar implemented where the category links sit. JustEat, FoodHub all have one to make it easier to search things.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 10
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @thecafeguy. I just want to follow-up on this thread since the ability to search for items in the order online layout has been added. I hope the feature has been useful -- if there is any issue at all, let me know and I'll be able to look into it on my end!

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

Hi @thecafeguy, thank you for flagging this!

At the moment, the search feature hasn't been added to the order online template - the search bar is only visible when you are using the Shop All template.

We develop Square Online Store on an ongoing basis thanks to your feedback, so I'll be sure to take note of this and pass it along to our product team for future releases. I've also moved the thread to our Feature Request board so other sellers can also vote on it and share their suggestions! 

Tra
Message 2 of 10
Super Seller

@thecafeguy I donโ€™t have a big menu so Iโ€™m not in need of the search in the same way - but by the sounds of it there could be a much better way to lay out your store?

I donโ€™t use any of the catalogue layouts, everything is started with a blank page. I then add โ€˜featured menu itemโ€™ sections & this lets me control just how everything looks. This way also means your products open as a pop up with details & it doesnโ€™t take you to the product page (no back button needed!!). 

This is a link to my site, but right now itโ€™s not the best example as itโ€™s a single page & even just a single category - but will let you see the pop up at least www.400degrees.co.uk

Sam

Pizza Is Chill

Message 3 of 10
Beta Member

The site I'm building will have a very extensive menu and the one page layout will become a needle in the haystack scenario when customers are searching for something they want specifically. Hence why a search bar on food ordering sites tend to be implemented so you can search for individual items the restaurant has to offer instead of scrolling endlessly, that's all ๐Ÿ˜…

It's a simple search bar to be added nothing major just so you can search within your menu not the whole site.

Message 4 of 10
Admin

Thanks for reaching back out, @thecafeguy!

Although the search feature may not be available on the Order Online layout at the moment, if you have items set up under different categories, customers can navigate the page by clicking into the category name which will bring them straight to that section. This can help make the ordering process easier, even if they cannot fully search for the item.

Screenshot 2020-06-16 at 11.44.28.png

Tra
Message 5 of 10
Beta Member

Just out of curiosity as well, sorry to be a pain and off-topic but, which categories get synced with my Square POS? I saw a message on Weebly saying that their categories aren't synced in with Square. Then on the Square system where you can add items to the actual POS does this not get linked in with Weebly either?

Am I best adding on products through Weebly so that they're both synced in and then sort out the categories on each later. I believe the message from my understanding said that Weebly's categories are different to Square's so I should treat them as separate ones.

Message 6 of 10
Admin

Hi @thecafeguy, that's correct! Categories on Square and Weebly are different, so they will not sync, but items will sync as normal.

Depending on where you are more comfortable creating items, you can do it either on Weebly or Square and it will be pull across to the other.

Please reference the chart below to confirm information that does and does not sync.

Does Sync Does NOT Sync
Item details Tax settings
Item variations & modifiers Shipping settings
Primary image Sale prices
Stock Coupons
Deleted Items Categories
Sales & orders  
Business locations  

Tra
Message 7 of 10

This seems crazy.. is there nothing on the roadmap to link Weebly (now called square) to Square POS, as now it is duplicating work on hundreds of items? 

plus, to have Facebook and Instagram shops working we have to setup all those categories again the the Commerce Manager. This I can deal with as I get they are separate to Square, but why is there no integration between POS and Online for categories etc? 

Message 8 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey @BlushLifestyle, I hear your frustration on this. It's not a great experience when you've to spend a significant amount of time duplicating items.

We don't have any information on when it will be possible to syn categories from Weebly to Square POS at this time, unfortunately. It's a popular feature request though so I'll be sure to pass it on to our team for better visibility. We'll be sure to update you on this thread if there are any changes to this feature at all. 

Message 9 of 10
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @thecafeguy. I just want to follow-up on this thread since the ability to search for items in the order online layout has been added. I hope the feature has been useful -- if there is any issue at all, let me know and I'll be able to look into it on my end!

Tra
Message 10 of 10