x
Super Seller

Gift Option

Hi, I know new functionality was recently added to enable gifting which was an excellent move forward and welcomed with open arms. Thank you

As the gifting marketing is set to me massive by all accounts can we make a few suggestions based on our and observations.

1. As you do not currently offer multiple delivery address in one transaction could the gifting option be added as an option during checkout (ie so the customer can only select the gifting option for the one delivery address)? We do see customers getting confused selecting gift options at the item level for several items so we end up having to send multiple give cards, some with similar messages to the same person at the same address. It can make things a little confusing for us and the customer.

2. The gift receipt print option. Could it be made so we can always have the option to print a gift receipt as the seller in the order section on the back end? We get requests in the message section on checkout asking not to send any price containing recipients, which we can not do unless the customer has selected the gift option, we then end up trying to find a way to do this so the recipient can see who has sent it without the price information, otherwise we then get requests by the recipient to find out who sent the gift, we then have to say due to GDPR we can share personal information, the recipients then get a little upset, which leads to a bad service and potentially a lost future customer. It would be nice to have that flexibility on the back end for the seller to print upon request. 

3. The ideal gift scenario would be to enable the customer in one transaction to select multiple recipient delivery addresses, with the items for that recipient which we can tag the gifting option to, almost like a sub basket delivery, with the ability to add a gift recipient, message and gift wrap (with the option to add a nominal fee for this service) just for that sub basket. Square would have to work their magic to keep the functionality and usability super slick like you seem to achieve throughout your system.

Thank you Team Square! 

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 1 of 7
Report Inappropriate Content
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Hey @phillipsrw, thank you for all the amazing feedback and suggestions as always! I will definitely pass all of them to our Product team for consideration. if there are any new updates or features added to the Gifting Options, I'll be sure to follow up on this thread as well. 

Have a wonderful 2021!

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 7

Is it possible to add multiple gift options at different prices?   

the way it is designed suggest that it should be in that you tick gift option, the have to select an option with a price but what if we want multiple options? 

E.g 

Wrapping paper £1

gift box £3

At the moment I can only add one option I think. If I’m wrong let me know how to add. 

Thanks  

Message 3 of 7
Admin

Hi @JandN, thanks for sharing this! From looking on my end, at the moment, it's only possible to add one gift option. Our team are always looking for way to improve our product so I'll be sure to share your feedback with them for future releases. 

In the meantime, if you'd like to offer more than one gift option, a potential workaround would be to create an additional modifier called Gift Option and have more selection there. 

Tra
Message 4 of 7
Super Seller

The current gift receipt function doesn’t appear to work, at least how I thought it should work ...in my mind 🤔

Currently if you want to allow customers to add the gift message this is an option that is added at the item level, this then embeds a option on the item which the customer selects to add a message. It also triggers the gift receipt function on the order in the dashboard. However selecting the print gift receipt then takes you to the transactions where you have to then search for the transaction and print a POS gift receipt which requires the POS printer. 

In my head the gift receipt should be exactly the same as the order print out minus the item cost and shipping cost, so the gift recipient doesn’t get to see the cost of the gift. This should be a simple print button which works on a regular printer (not via the POS Pinter) and found positioned next to the send an email receipt button on the order order page. Most online companies do not have access to the POS printers when fulfilling online orders, so print function that works on regular printers direct from the dashboard is quicker and streamlined during order fulfilment.

Adding the gift option at the item level I’m not convinced is the correct place currently, unless you are working on creating a system that allows multiple baskets with multiple delivery addresses under one transaction.  What we find with the gift option at the item level is that people will request multiple gift message cards for each item in their basket (sometimes just because they can) which are then shipped to one address.

I think it would be better located during checkout, where they can add one message per basket, and nice if it could be included in the gift receipt. We use a number of platforms and the best I have seen works along these lines.

If we do not added the gift option to each of the items we have listed then customers will not know they can add a gift message or currently trigger the print gift receipt option, but when added to each item then it’s open to abuse where gift messages can be added to multiple items purchased. We would like to offer one gift message per order/ basket with gift receipt print option that prints a proper gift receipt direct from the order dashboard, and possibly with the gift message attached to it. It’s not possible with your current system. 

Fingers crossed you get to look at this function and improve. Gifting is a multi-billion pound sector in the UK and something we need to get right online...we will be happier, our customers will be happier and it will mean more revenue for Square 😉

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 5 of 7
Super Seller

Hi Tra,

I was wondering if the Square team had managed to tweak the Square Online Gift option to make it a little more applicable. It would be great to have this in place before the gifting season starts in October 2021. As discussed before to take the gift option to next level could the following be considered.

1. The option of adding the gift message at checkout. When the gift message input box is at the item level we have customers who in one order buying multiple products will request gift message cards for each item to be sent to one address. When the option is there at the item level they feel they have to use to maximise value for money.

2. The ability to print a gift receipt on a desktop printer like you can with the printer order button for printing non gift receipts when managing orders online? At the moment the print gift receipt directs you to transactions, where you then have to find the transaction and then print through the POS on a thermal printer. Thermal POS printers are not always possible or the best for printing gift receipts for putting in shipping boxes. We as I suspect many people do not fulfil online from their stores where the POS printers are available but in a separated space away from our shops where we use desktop printer solutions.

3. The online order gift receipt can to be exactly the same as the online print receipt just without pricing.

4. When you select print the gift receipt it generates a PDF gift receipt for printing. Currently print a gift receipt does not link direct to the order.

5. The gift message could also be printed on the the gift receipt. 

These relatively small changes would make offering gift receipt to customer viable and easier to implement, adding to the customer experience. The current gift receipt offering unfortunately does not work for fulfilling online orders, the thought is there but not quiet executed to the level needed for online. 

We use gifting on several other platforms, if of help to you let me know and I can email through some screenshots of what other companies are doing, its not complex just a lot better than what Square has to offer have at the moment. Gifting is a massive area of opportunity online. The market is estimated to be worth UK £20bn and USA & JAPAN £175bn...I want a slice of that please! 🙂

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 6 of 7
Admin

Hey @phillipsrw, thanks for sharing this! I'm just taking a closer look into this and check with the appropriate team to see what our roadmaps are for the gift option, so I'll be back with a bit more details soon. 

Tra
Message 7 of 7