x

Poor Square Online search result

Item names are not given priority over description. So if an item name contains everyday high frequency words, it’s almost impossible for it to come too in product search. I have about 400skus all books with long descriptions. Almost impossible to find anything!

Message 1 of 5
Report Inappropriate Content
4 REPLIES 4

We've found this to be an issue too! On top of that, the search seems to be searching for item names/descriptions which include ANY of the search terms, rather than ALL of them. For example, searching for "Dark Souls" in our store brings up every single product with the word "dark" anywhere in the description, whether it has the word "souls" or not, and does not prioritise the actual product(s) named "Dark Souls". It makes it very difficult for customers to find what they're looking for, especially on our store where we have several thousand products.

I noticed this issue with searching seems to be the same on the Online back end too, and I have the same problem searching my own item library. Makes it very difficult to find what I'm looking for!

Message 2 of 5
Admin

Hi @hoxtonbks and @PLHLtd, thank you for raising this!

I can appreciate your frustration and I've raised this to our ECOM team as well, as we're always looking for ways to improve our products based on feedback like this.

Tra
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 3 of 5

Hello! I am having this issue as well! When I checked the feature it said it would pull item names as well as category names into account. That isn't happening for me. I carry Jack Black skincare. if I go search my site I only get items with the name Black or Jack because my items aren't named Jack Black's Beard Oil, etc. but If I had a customer that wanted to look at all the Jack Black, he really can't. On the back end, all the products are under a jack black category so it would be great if the feature could pull from master item categories. 

Message 4 of 5
Beta Member

This is something we have also had a problem with. If you could let us know if and when the ECOM team actually work on this, we would all be grateful, though I'd be lying if there wasn't other more important issues Square need to fix such as a royal mail integration and customer accounts. 

Message 5 of 5