x
Beta Member

After placing an Square Online order, can my customers pay in-person upon pick up?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Pay on pickup?]

Is there a way with the square online store that I can have the person place an order and be able to have the option to pay when they pick the item up? This is for a farm and not everyone is going to want to pay online, just a pay after pickup option? I already paid for the service for a year and it will not work for me without this feature so hopefully it is there somewhare

Message 1 of 24
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @MattHebb1995-

Welcome back to the Seller Community, and thank you for bringing this up! 

At this time, the only way to order ahead online for pickup is by using a payment card. I can see how pre-ordering with a cash/other option would be useful for your business, and other businesses who do not solely accept card payments. Orders that will be paid in cash, will likely have to be called-in. 

Some of the Pickup & Delivery apps we integrate with may have a functionality that would allow your customers to pay upon pick up. 

Appreciate your flexibility with this, and please don't hesitate to share any other insight!

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @MattHebb1995-

Welcome back to the Seller Community, and thank you for bringing this up! 

At this time, the only way to order ahead online for pickup is by using a payment card. I can see how pre-ordering with a cash/other option would be useful for your business, and other businesses who do not solely accept card payments. Orders that will be paid in cash, will likely have to be called-in. 

Some of the Pickup & Delivery apps we integrate with may have a functionality that would allow your customers to pay upon pick up. 

Appreciate your flexibility with this, and please don't hesitate to share any other insight!

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 24
Beta Member

Same issue over here!  We need a cash on delivery/pickup option, like the competitors offer!!!  I also operate a small farm business and even though I want the order to go through the Website for order management purposes, I have some customers VERY upset that I can not take cash for hay.  I've created a less than ideal workaround where I give them a coupon code to check out with in the value of their total but that's complicated because it won't work on the delivery fee I charge, so I have to create a seperate "item" in my catalogue for delivery.  It's so unfriendly, and the clients who have to use this are very confused.  PLEASE ADD CASH ON DELIVERY

Message 3 of 24
Beta Member

You guys... it's time.  It's long overdue for the cash on delivery/pickup option!!  I get that fees are collected on payment cards but the cash option is necessary.  After all, we do pay the monthly premium and fees on the other payment types.  It's not like the customer sees a difference, since we the seller pay the fees.  PLEASE add the cash on pickup and delivery option!!!!!!  Or if you MUST hold off then at the very least let coupon codes also apply to the delivery fee so we can work around it?!?!

Message 4 of 24
Beta Member

Yup, it's time like you said, but guess what : they make money on the card transaction, not on the cash payment 😅 So i don't think it's in there priorities...

Same thing happening with the invoice system as you can't send an invoice without proposing any credit card payment option. You are forced to. So you can't save on invoice by people paying in cheque, cash or direct payment. So you need to use another invoice system, or send manually the pdf invoice. 

If it was less painful, maybe i would make it my main invoice system and use more the credit card option when i want to or my client need to.

Message 5 of 24

Did anyone find a work around to do cash on pickup.....?  Having a really hard time with square and keeping a separate system to accommodate payment on pickup..... 

Message 6 of 24
Beta Member

@SparrowFarms describes above that you can create a coupon code for 100% discount. But they also indicate that it *only* works for pickup orders, not delivery, as delivery fees are not included in the 100% discount.

It would work like this:

1. Go to Items > Coupons and create a coupon code called "PAYONPICKUP" set for Unlimited uses and 100% discount

2. Indicate somewhere on your site that people need to use that coupon code in order to pay upon pickup

3. That will record the order, but make it so they don't have to pay

4. Upon arrival/pickup, you can either use the manual entry screen in the register to enter the total amount of the order, OR you could create a product with no entered price called "ONLINE ORDER" and use that for all online orders that use the above coupon code.

But yeah... other eCommerce systems simply allow you to activate a payment gateway for something like 'cash on delivery' or 'manual payment' that would create a much better customer interface for this process during checkout. Square could easily add this, and probably even add a flat-fee (like 10c maybe) processing charge for taking such orders, but here we are about 1.5-2 years into the Weebly store integration and .... zip.

Message 7 of 24
Beta Member

SAME!  There are a few issues that would make square way more restaurant-friendly that have been addressed on this forum numerous times and square has done nothing! Anyone have the number for Toast?

Message 8 of 24
Beta Member

this was in reply to twowhales. whoops

Message 9 of 24

We need a check out option for customers to pay at pick up location!

Message 10 of 24
Square Community Moderator

I moved your post over to this thread so we can keep track of the discussion. 😊

Message 11 of 24

I moved your post over to this thread so we can keep track of the discussion. 😊

Message 12 of 24

I also have the same issue as many of our customers also want to buy other products (like yummy cakes which change frequently and really need to be seen in person) when they arrive to pick up their meals which have been pre-ordered and pay for everything together. In our rural location we do not have the option of third party aggregators such as DoorDash.

Because Square is used in so many locations and for a wide variety of business types you can not assume that the standard 'city model' will be adequate for all. Flexibility please!

Message 13 of 24
Beta Member

This would be a very handy feature to have. Particularly in Canada where many people still don't have visa debit or debit mastercard and are therefore unable to pay with debit using the online store.

Message 14 of 24

Come on Square! Please consider this easy modification! 

Message 15 of 24

I am thinking to change to another company, because of so tired getting complaints from customer about order online and pay in person. Square charges the most expensive fee for processing payment using their machine. As a business we are paying the expensive fee but we don’t even get an option to customer to pay in person. 

Message 16 of 24

Having this option would be awesome! Please consider. 

Message 17 of 24

I suggest changing your Delivery fee to cash only for all customers. That way when you use the coupon there is no delivery fee to get rid of. 

You could also work the charge for delivery into your price that way it's covered by the coupon. 

You could even eat the cost and offer a return policy where they can buy it right back with cash. 

Just a couple ideas. 

Message 18 of 24

On the other hand, this could be saving a lot of you the extra headache of "no-shows." They may be showing up to pay in cash because they have no choice but to because they have already been charged part of the monies. Maybe one day you have the best price in town so they order with you COD and then along comes Sally with a better deal 2 days later and they go with that leaving you out.  This inconvenience to you will only be substituted with another inconvenience. Everything has a price and I'd keep this "safety net" that guarantees the sale. 

If you must, keep a separate cash book and make them pick up the phone.  Some of you probably have an accountant.  They'll be fine with 2 books. 

Message 19 of 24

Yikes.  

I'm so disappointed that I went ALL-IN with Square, only to find out that I can't offer pay at pickup as an option.  I decided to go with Square over Clover, as I liked the simplicity of the system and the KDS works flawlessly.  However, 70% of my online ordering business chooses "Pay at pickup". Obviously, Square wants the FEES... but they'd get it anyway as the payment would still be processed by Square at the window.  

Every other supplier seems to offer this... now, I'm forced to run a separate online system that doesn't integrate with my POS and my KDS... all after spending over $2,000 on the register, terminal and additional tablets. 

Please spare me the canned "We'll update you if we ever make this an option" response.  It's been over 2 years and if you didn't offer this through COVID when businesses were BEGGING you for it... you won't offer it now. 

I'm seriously considering eating my investment and moving to Clover.  Super frustrating.  The coupon code workaround send the customer an e-mail saying the order is $0... so that doesn't work.  How we even have to look for workarounds is shocking. 

Square, you have an awesome system here... it's shameful you don't listen to your customers and realize you're still going to get the debit/credit at pickup... you lose out on some cash sales, but you make your customers happy.   Seems like a WIN/WIN to me.  

Message 20 of 24

I will be completely honest with you @jsecompany and I have wonder the same. This feature may still being tracked most merchants during COVID worst times did not want to have to deal in person payments at all so our focus was to make Square Online as robust as possible for Contactless payments. We have shifted to post pandemic (while still in a pandemic) times and I agree that this would be a feature that a ton of businesses would benefit from. 

I know you said to spare you of canned responses but it is my duty as a Community Moderator to let you know that we have been working hard to improve the process when Sellers request features not yet available. The new Ideate Boards offer better visibility and clarity on Features being worked on and what is not on the road map yet. Believe it or not it's pretty easy for threads like these to get lost or fall through the cracks. 

For this reason I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers' interest in your request.

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 21 of 24