x
Admin

How to Sell Online and Allow for Pickup Orders

This post was updated by a community moderator on April 20, 2020 to reflect app improvements and feature enhancements.

Hello Seller Community,

As news changes by the minute, I see the new reality of social distancing changing my corner of the world. Our team also heard from a few restaurant owners within the Seller Community across the country and we wanted to offer some solutions that can help you find new ways to reach your customers.

If your restaurant faces reduced foot traffic or if your local government instructed you to pause operations, Square Online can help you continue with orders by enabling curbside pickup and local delivery.

How it works:

1. Your existing Item Library automatically imports into your Square Online site.
  2. Customer orders made via Square Online connect directly with your Square Point of Sale system.
  3. You won’t have to change your current process and can go forward with accepting online orders quickly.

If you haven't tried Square Online, check out this video for a comprehensive setup guide. Store owners and similar businesses should check out our tutorial for retailers instead.

For more specifics on enabling these features, have a look at these resources:

As we come together to face these challenges, I continue to be inspired by my friends, family, and my favorite local businesses. If any other sellers have questions or insight on what's worked well so far — please weigh in below.

Hope this helps you navigate through the days ahead, and we'll certainly keep you updated as we're able to remove obstacles!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 111
110 REPLIES 110
Square

@VickiVails To use the specific features outlined in this post, you will need to build and publish a Square Online Store website. You can also check with your existing website platform to see if they offer similar online ordering features and how they integrate with Square's orders and items catalog.

That said, if you want to check out Square Online Store for the online ordering capabilities, but don't want to replace your current site, you can simply link to your Square Online Store from your existing site. Square Online Store websites publish to a customized <business-name>.square.site URL by default.

Message 64 of 111
Super Seller

Curb pick up, Online,Delivery...... Age Restricted products.... Face to Face Sale....

We are starting food delivery, But we sell Wine and want to know if online is ok? we where told in the past face to face only for sales that require ID........

Since these go through "Online" but get delivered Face to Face How dose this apply? I assume it would be ok BUT if in person They do not have ID(or Proper ID) at time of pick up face to face... Just cancel the sale....... IS this allowed? I do not want to jeperdise my square account... 

Message 65 of 111
Beta Member

Is there a way to integrate the weebly page into wordpress? I can't seem to find a weebly plugin.

Message 66 of 111
Square

@thegarageguy What many sellers with existing sites choose to do is to keep their existing website, but simply link to their Square Online Store for online ordering. You can link to your personalized square.site URL, or if you want to get advanced, you can publish your SOS site to a subdomain of your existing custom domain.

For example, if your wordpress site is on mygreatbusiness.com, you can set up the SOS site to publish to order.mygreatbusiness.com.

More details can be found here: https://www.weebly.com/app/help/us/en/topics/use-a-custom-subdomain-with-your-online-store

Message 67 of 111

Well, this was exciting for one minute until I got the message that this quick and easy set up only works for new cutomers..... excistign weebly account holders are not able to use this feature? why???

Message 68 of 111

How would this work if you already have a website under a different person, like GoDaddy?

What makes your online store different?

Message 69 of 111
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @NuSource! Thanks for reaching out and asking your question here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you.

While we can't speak to the specific features of other platforms like Go Daddy, if you have any specific questions about Square's Online Store we would be more than happy to answer them for you here! In the meantime, here is a great Getting Started resource to learn about what our Online Store has to offer. 

One tip that I will mention is that if you currently have a custom domain registered with GoDaddy, that domain should be transferable to your Square Online Store if you so desire.

Again, feel free to hit me back if you have any questions! We are here to help.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 70 of 111

We want to offer a separate menu for delivery and don't plan on offering our current in-house menu.

Is this possible w/o removing all items from our current menu?

Message 71 of 111

Hi Major!

Yes, you can have separate menu items.  In the Website > Items > Item Library > Edit Item...  When you edit a specific item, where you load the photo and description, there is "Visible / Hidden / Unavailable".  Select the "Visible" option for your online store.  

Cheers.

Message 72 of 111

Thank you for continuing to improve the site!

I was wondering if there is or an option, or if it will be added, to set a specific date availability for an item. We need to setup preordering and need to be able give customers set future date the order would be available to pick up.

Example:

We want to offer Pre-orders for Mothers Day.

They can order today but the products would not be ready for pickup until May 10,11 or 12.

We would like to give them the option to select their pickup date.

Thank you for your Support!

Message 73 of 111
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @CakeryLLC! Thanks for stopping by this thread to add your voice here!

At this time, scheduled pickup and pre-ordering for a future date are unavailable. However, you are not the only Seller asking for this feature! Many of your peers have asked for this, as well, so our Product Teams are keeping track of the requests.

As soon as we have news about this coming down the pipeline, we will make sure everyone is updated! Thanks for the great feedback.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 74 of 111

I have seen some restaurants in San Francisco that have a pop up window that allows the customer to choose delivery or pickup before they start their order. It is helpful for the customer to find out 1. if they are in our delivery area and 2. fees associated with delivery. We would like to add that to our page. The pop up window says "details and locations" (even though they only have one location).

Here are some example websites with the pop up window:

https://canelasf.square.site

https://the-covid19th-s-general-storeat.square.site

Message 75 of 111
Square

@Barceloneta That pop up window will appear if your site meets the following conditions:

* You have enabled both Delivery and Pickup

* Your ordering page is using the Order Online layout as opposed to the Shop All layout

Message 76 of 111

Thank you. That worked!

Message 77 of 111

When I receive an online order will it come through my square POS through the “orders” tab? I’m afraid to miss an order if we don’t receive a notification of some kind. Is there a way I can change notification settings? 

Message 78 of 111
Admin

@Chocolattes47 Yes! Your online orders will show up on the Orders Tab of your POS. 

@Lovefoodcentral walks through the steps to enable these notifications on this thread. Take a look and let us know if any other questions come up.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 79 of 111

hi there 

i am offering delivery on saturday and pickup on tuesday, Is there a way I can specify days and what type of service i offer? ( it seems as if both options are available both days * delivery and pickup* when i want just one per day that I am open). right now i am just taking the pickup option off the site and only allowing delivery orders to be purchased through the store. 

thanks

Message 80 of 111
Admin

Hey @concoctionbread!

You can specify which days you want to have pickup and/or delivery available. Take a look at @Isabelle_'s Best Answer here that shows how to turn them on and off.

When you click a particular item in your Item Library from the Weebly Dashboard, you're able to choose if you want that item to be a part of Pickup & Delivery or not under the Fulfillment tab.

Hope this helps!

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 81 of 111
Beta Member

This video discusses how quickly you can turn your website into a curbside delivery site. With everything going on with COVID-19, businesses need to be able to adapt. Here I discuss simply how to get your store prepared so that you can create a link to help drive business to your store.

https://youtu.be/Glc5s0coAow

Message 82 of 111
Admin

@indianathomas Wow this is awesome! And super helpful! I moved this resource to this thread so that sellers looking for how to set up Pickup will be able to see this easily. 

Thank you! 👊

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 83 of 111

So I am new to square . I have a restaurant... When I log into my pos I can only do dine in.

How do I add delivery and takeout? so that I can write customers name , address, phn number etc... TIA

Message 84 of 111